TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AZ road racer project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2012 at 6:51am
Was this Javelin a state or city government car at one time?
TS
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2012 at 9:59am
You noticed the holes in the roof, huh?  ;)  No I think it was privately owned but the guy that owned it for most of its life had a private security job with Motorola...it also had a trailer hitch on the back.
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2012 at 10:25am

Here's a few pics of the engine mods to help oil flow and drain back.  I'm hoping to get motivated enough to drop the 360 off at the machine shop to get started on the build.  I opened up the front drainback holes here...

Below, I added a couple of 3/8 drain back holes at the front and rear of the block near the drains from the heads.  I was debating on adding holes near each lifter but that seemed like overkill.  However, I did like the idea of how that causes the oil to drip on each cam lobe.  But I've also read that some do not like it because of oil windage...ah, the debate continues...
2 more holes a the rear of the valley...
Lastly, I tapped the front oil supply port for a plug since I'll be running an external pickup.  I'll also plug the hole at the stock pickup location.  You can also see where I blueprinted the oil port going back into the block from the timing cover.

I had considered running some type of restrictor, but since its going to see road race use, I don't want a shortage of oil from that.  I'd rather just make sure I got enough capacity with a good accusump to protect from deprivation.  I'm also going to look at the old ported heads I was running and plan on getting them cleaned up for this motor with a set of new valves.
...tips and advice are welcome.
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 9:14pm
Got the car back from the welder today with the cage (minus full door bars) in place.  The engine is at the shop and I'm waiting on a set of Wiseco pistons/K-1 Rods (should be here this week) and some other stuff for the rotating assumbly.  Ordered the Astro gear kit for the T-5 upgrade and it should be here in 3-4 weeks (was on serious back order).  Things are slowing starting to roll on this project.  Getting the car back is a nice steps so I can start doing my chasis and body prep, but I really wish I had sorted out the running hot issue on the blue car so I didn't have that on the back of my mind...
Anyway, here's the progress report.

bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 8:37pm
Looking good!  What's your next step?  Front suspension?  Whose coil overs are you using?  WSC?  

You mentioned door bars; are you going to gut your stock doors and run a NASCAR type door bar?

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 10:10pm

Yep, working on the front suspension now.  I got to boxing the front lower arms just before I had to go in for ACL surgery on my right knee (just blew it apart about a month ago).  The project is obviously hit a dead stop for a bit while I recover, but I do have some updates.  BTW, thanks for posting the oil pan and pickup setup you have.  I actually have an old Aviad with the same Bulltear pickup for my setup, so I got a good idea of how that will all go together.  Of course, I'm only playing with a 360. 

Speaking of which, just got the short block assembly back from the shop.  Looks good, just need to keep it under wraps until I'm ready to drop it in.

Here's the one lower control arm I got done just before the surgery.  Running out of MIG gas toward the end, but my rookie welding skills aren't much to brag about.

Started mocking up a set of QA1's but I want to use the stock type bar rather than the brackets the AMC kits come with.  I have the WSC's on my blue Javelin and had those bracket bow on me after some autocrossing.  Didn't really like that, so I'm hoping the T-bar works better.  Unfortunately, they don't make an aftermarket T-bar that fits.  I checked out the Nova bar but even it was too short, so I took my bars to a machinist who turned them down (burnt them out of the stock spring perch while I was burning the rubber control arm bushings out for the polyurethane set I got.  The stock bars are around .875 diameter, but the QA1's use .75 diameter) and added the groves for a lock ring.  I don't have pics of the finished product, but they came out great and it cost the same as having to buy a set.

Previous owner got a little too excited torquing down the uppers on the driver side as I discovered during disassembly, so I had to do a little patch work with some 1/8" steel. 

Lastly, got the patching done on the firewall, chopped down the channels so they won't hold 20 lbs of dirt, gravel and whatever else and then sprayed it with truck bed paint.  Should hold up nicely.

I got the Coleman Impala type spindle snouts being welded onto some 1" blocks for my new spindles and already picked up a set of matching hubs.  I plan on running some 13"x1.1" front brakes for now since I already have the (narrow body) Wilwood SL-6 calipers.  Probably going to need to upgrade someday to some 1.25" thick rotors and proper calipers, but I'm hoping some good ducting and pads will work through the HDPE and TT process.  At that stage, I'll probably start measuring up your last question as to what type of door bars I'll run.  Not sure I'll do the NASCAR style.  I may opt to run something like the Jim Richards Javelin. 

In the meantime, I'll be working on the strut arms, getting the engine compartment prepped and painted, and hopefully drop the motor in.  Also, my Astro A-5 gear kit came in this week, so I'll have the T-5 to build up.  Between knee rehad and this "short" list, I ought to be busy well into the New Year.

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 10:24am
Nice work! 

On the firewall patches, did you butt weld or lap weld?  18 or 20 ga metal?  I've got to tackle that this weekend.  Also, did you patch anything on the driver's side?  If so, what?  Are you going to keep the windshield wipers?  Going with the stock steering column or aftermarket?  Stock dash or are you going to fab something up?

Thanks

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 11:35am
I just ground down the contact area real well and made lap joints with some 18g sheet.  Here's the pic showing the driver side. 

Since I won't have a trailer rig (and the guys will run here in the rare event of rain in the desert), I am keeping the wipers.  The column is still stock.  I made upgrade at some point, sooner rather than later, but I'll worry more about that once I move to the passenger compartment.  Ive got a nappy old dashpad I may use and then form the panel from sheet and/or fiberglass.  I like the simplicity of Asif's layout, so it gave me food for thought.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 12:11pm
I made/bent up some 20 ga metal to use as a blockoff for the wipers.  I will screw it into place so it won't be permanent.

Going with an aftermarket column and fabbed dash.  Will get to that one of these days.

What about the pedals - stock or aftermarket?  If aftermarket, floor mount or hanging?  Going with a hydraulic throwout?

Scott
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 12:28pm
Very nice!  That could be an option to have the wipers be removable down the road.  I'll keep that in mind.  The pedals/linkage/etc, will all be stock style for now.  Again, I saw how Richards set up the floor mount pedals. 

I kind of liked that, so that may be an option for me down the road, but I generally like the mechanical clutch linkage with a centerforce.  If I need more clutch for some reason, the hydraulic will probably come into the picture.  Its supposed to hit 105 in PHX today and the foot is still swelling up if I sit up or stand for over an hour so I'll probably have to write this weekend off in term of getting work done so I'll have to live vicariously through your project at least one more week...good luck!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic