TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AZ road racer project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2016 at 3:45pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ZizscTT-U

Finally got a walk-around video of the car done.  She's definitely come a long way and is pretty much ready for some shakedowns.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2016 at 6:17pm
That's fantastic! You are going to have a great time with that.
Probably a few teething issues as you get started, hopefully it's minimal.
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2016 at 4:46pm
Well, I finally got track day 1 under my belt with this car and overall, very few problems cropped up.  The first is the problem with the stock fuel tank splashing gas when the car is "too" full.  After dumping about 3 gallons on track (track marshals were NOT happy with me) during the first handful of laps, I siphoned about 2.5 gallons out and that problem was mended.

Next, the rear end was venting (as expected...I had this problem with the blue Javelin on track days) a fair amount all over the right rear of the car.  I should have set up a catch can before but it was one of those projects I kept putting off.  The PS also vented because it was a tad too full, but that cured itself after the first track session.

Ultimately, the car will have a fuel cell so the big problem will be fixed.  The catch can is easy enough.  One other problem I was having is this weird "high" brake pedal issue that pops up intermittently.  It's almost as though there's residual pressure in the line then it "bleeds" down to a normal height.  It never became a big issue last night, but when I really start pushing the car I don't want that issue to become a real problem.  I'll have to figure out why it's doing that so I can fix it.  Going to bleed the lines and see if there's just something there or perhaps one of the residual pressure valves is defective.  I may eliminate those and see how it works.  I really shouldn't need them, but I put them in line when I was building the car since that made it easy to plan out at that time.

Otherwise, the motor ran very strong but needs a custom header that gets me low profile and actually breathes.  The Eddy shorties just don't let the 360 breath well at 5000+ rpm.  The suspension and brakes were working GREAT other than the above mentioned problem.  The instructor noted the car handled very predictably and really just needed a little sorting out and some proper track tires.  Since it was just HPDE 1 I wasn't too concerned with lap times as I was with how the car were acting and getting myself familiar with being on a track again with other cars (I've only run maybe about 3 or 4 open track days before).  Best part was hopping in the car after the last session cruising back home about 30 miles away with no problems and the temps ran a steady 180 all day at the track (it was 103 out when the 1st session ran).  

The car got a TON of attention at Wild Horse Pass (west track) during the NASA event and everybody seemed to really love seeing the old classic pony car out turning laps.  My fiance even noted that the "Mistress" as the car has come to be known, is giving her some real competition.  Hahaha...

Next event, AMP on October 22.  Here's some pics below.  I hope to get a track timer and camera set up for that event.

Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2016 at 4:48pm

Here's a cool little pic of the car added by NASA with the classes gathering up.

Edited by Javelin74 - Sep/11/2016 at 4:56pm
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2016 at 5:54pm
Nice ride, I love it good job! Clap
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2016 at 9:30pm
More inspiration... you and asif are my heros...
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
WingedSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingedSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 4:59pm
Looks great!  I love our road race AMC's!

Wish you were closer to run with.
Straightaways are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2016 at 10:25am
Thanks man.  heck of a ride you built yourself!  We all do seem to be pretty well spread out around the country.  Certainly would be nice to have someone in the paddock who actually could help turn a wrench or troubleshoot rather than just stare at it and wonder what it is.  WinkWink

I haven't posted anything up from my 2nd outing at Arizona Motorsports Park.  That track is going to be a blast when things are finally all sorted out.  That trip ended up being a bit of a nightmare.  First, it was way hotter here than I had hoped which caused me some issues.  My fuel pump began cavitating real bad due to the heat.  I have the EFI setup with an inline pump but it's near the mufflers.  It just started whining super bad and I was losing umph above 4000-4500rpm as a result.  Solution:  pull the pickup I made and replace it with an Aeromotive Stealth in tank pump kit.  It'll hopefully solve a 2nd problem of bad fuel splash.  I used some Right Stuff to seal it but I guess that stuff doesn't hold up to gas so the gasket kit on the Aeromotive kit should solve that and help keep the fuel pump cool.

Next problem was the power steering pulley came loose.  I forgot to put the little spacer in when I swapped out the leaky pump so the pulley actually seated up against the aluminum bracket and pushed itself loose.  That actually caused the harmonic to pull out a little, causing the alternator belt to loosen, causing me to lose voltage, causing the O2 sensor to freak out and in turn causing the car to run like crap since I run it in close loop mode still.  Talk about a nightmare chain of events to trouble shoot.  I thought it was just a loose wire causing the O2 sensor issue so I missed the 2nd session on track trying to chase problems.  By the time I got back out for the 3rd session, I had lost enough oil to cause me to lose pressure even with the Accusump...back into the pits for more oil and trouble shooting.  

Was able to get the harmonic balancer tighted back into place (I also found my powersteering pump pulley issue at this point and band-aid fixed it), added 2 quarts, but at this point it was pushing 100 degrees out and people were scrambling from the track.  It actually got so hot out one of the instructors had his Audi TT catch fire in the pits!!  The guy was about 4 spots from me and at that point I was thinking I should call it the day, too...but stubbornness wouldn't let me give up.  With oil added, pulley's tightened, balancer tightened, and things seeming solved, I went back on track only to have the fuel pump start cavitating bad after 4 laps.  Yep, game over and time to go home.

AMP is about 40 miles from my house so that was one hot, toasty drive home but she cruised back home like a champ.  I got the stock fuel tank out so I can install the Aeromotive kit and replace all the seals.  Otherwise, all the belt and pulley issues have been resolved (hopefully).  I had hoped to make a Thanksgiving weekend event, but time has run out and the budget has been drained with the repair items, Christmas shopping and a couple of upcoming wedding expenses (including my own)...Well, maybe I can make AMP again for the December event.  Fingers crossed!
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2016 at 5:52pm
Still sorting out technology but finally got a couple of in car videos from yesterday's track day. Still sorting through some bugs but the problems are getting smaller.

https://youtu.be/HsdqR5CXw-M

https://youtu.be/Mt12askBasU

I was actually slower than my October session but I was more focused on the bugs than the driving this time. Got a couple upgrades planned, tuning to do, and then I can start pushing to get competitive times.
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2017 at 7:00pm
Here's a quick link for the youtube video of my first session out on March 11th at Arizona Motorsports Park. Got a few upgrades planned for my next time out, which includes proper track day tires (listen to those Sumitomos scream for mercy), bigger exhaust, a proper fuel cell, and better tuning so this may be my last day out until after summer passes in AZ.

https://youtu.be/ZcAvKVUzF2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
  Share Topic