TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AZ road racer project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AZ road racer project
    Posted: May/30/2012 at 10:39am
Thanks to Asif and Scott, I've got some great pics and info to get this build rolling (FINALLY!!!)  I'm going to be realistic after seeing how long their builds took and I'll be happy if I get this thing rolling on its own power by fall 2013.  Hopefully I can learn a few lessons from their ups and downs so maybe it will happen sooner, but I'm biting the bullet and accepting the fact that this could take a while.  Even my blue Javelin took over a year to get the 401 in, wired up and running, and that wasn't nearly the project this is going to be...and speaking of which, that car still has a few bugs to sort out but that's another thread.

The eventual goal is a NASA TT car or maybe some form of AI car down the road.  For now, it will be built with HDPE in mind and something that can be driven to and from the local events (in the Phx area) til I work up through the classes and have the car sorted out to the point I feel it will be at least fairly competitive.  It will have a streetable 360 with mildly ported stock type heads to start, as a result.  I plan to run a Astro geared T-5, fairly stock-type front end with grand cherokee fast ratio box, boxed A-arms, solid bushed strut arm and a coil-over conversion.  I have a 3.54 geared posi AMC 20 that I thought I might keep but the floating 9" setups are really starting to look like the way to go, so the AMC 20 is likely to get sold to fund the new rear.  I'll start with stock leafs with upgraded shocks, sway bar, and a panhard rod to start.  Nothing too fancy out back just yet.  Brakes will like be 12.88 fronts with narrow bodied 6piston SL6 calipers up front with a 12" to 13" brake on the rear

Anyway, here's the are project ready for getting picked up this weekend to have the cage installed.  Again, thanks to Asif and Scott for their the time they took for posting their pics so I had a great resource to work with in dealing with my builder...wish me luck!

GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 7:59pm
WooHoo...another road race project...go get 'em. What track(s) do you have within easy reach...?
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 12:34am
Firebird is the main one (3 different tracks in the facility) and Arizona Motorsports Park is finally reopening after a long legal battle with the city.  Those are both in the metro area.  Phoenix Intl Raceway is undergoing major changes for NASCAR so the infield track got torn out so its gone. 

For those a little more daring, Inde Motorsports Ranch just opened south of Tucson and Chuckwalla (just across the border in to California) has been added to the NASA AZ schedule.  So we have a decent selection here in AZ.  I ran Firebird West when I blew up the 360 that was in the blue Javelin.  Its a fun little track that reminded me of Second Creek where I ran a few times up in Denver.
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 4:28pm
Thumbs UpBeerClap  ok, this is SUPER EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!   ClapCoolParty

can't wait to see more.  maybe when you're done we can meet up at Buttonwillow for a track day :)

also, just my opinion, but I would stay with the AMC 20 until / unless you build a motor with a lot more power and / or want to change the rear  suspension (get rid of leafs).

it will keep it cheaper for now and let you finish sooner.  maybe upgrade to 1 piece axles in the amc 20 or get stock axles double keyed/welded...

Edited by asifnyc - May/31/2012 at 4:37pm

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 6:14pm
Thanks for the advice on the rearend.  I thought about 1-piece axle setups but tough to justify the $400+ for them when I'd really like a floater setup ultimately.  However, the double keyway trick is something I had forgot about and will probably do for some cheap insurance for the short term.

I've seen some real neat things done with rears (including the Control Freak setups) and am still looking over options.  I'll likely make a final decision when time comes for a fuel cell upgrade since that will probably cause the biggest space limitation.  I still need to make a trip to Hal's place (only about 20 miles from my house) and check out the road racers he's got and see how they are setup, too. 

Anyway, I don't know enough now to make a good decision so I'll do like most people do with their taxes and put it off.  Wink  As for the trip to Buttonwillow, I sure hope to take you up on that deal!!!!
kellysguy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2012 at 11:50pm
Scott is really good at spending moeny...both his own and other's.LOL
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 8:10am
Great to see another Humpster racer in the works!

I'm with Asif on rear diff - AMC 20 is fine for now.  Double keyed isn't a bad idea.  At least make sure the axle nuts are torqued to spec (250#, IIRC). 

You may chew up  your "posi" unit after a few events, but I think you'll be fine with a peg leg until you upgrade to a different rear.

I would try the stock rear suspension w/o the panhard bar and rear sway bar to start.  That way you'll have a baseline, and I'm not sure you'll need/want/like a rear sway bar.

Front suspension sounds good to me, but please explain what you mean by "solid bushed strut arm."

13" brake is overkill for the rear.  I would use the stock car stuff (11"?) - see my thread for the Wilwoods that I have on the rear.  Good brakes for not a lot of $.

Scott

Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 11:53am

Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 1:06pm
Thanks again for the tips and advice, Scott. At one point, I had thought it would be cool to have the AMC 20 converted to a floater, but then the reality of $$$ hit me when I saw how cheap one could get the 9in. The car came with the rear sway bar, so I may yank it at an event just to compare, but I realize the rear suspension will likely be a work in progress for a few years.
As for the solid bushed strut arm, I basically had the struts cut and thread for a turnbuckle and large heim end and then welded the mounting bracket to accept the heim. Made a big difference when I was autocrossing the Javelin in being able to get a little quicker responsive and feeling in the front end. Those cars are REALLY hard to run at a Solo II event...talk about a bull in a china shop! Anyway, here's a pic.
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2012 at 10:36am
Made some headway since the last post.  Looks like I should have it back after the 4th of July at this rate.  In the meantime, the 360 I'm planning to run has been stripped and I'm doing a little prep to it such as improving oil drainback, deburring, and oil flow improvement.  My plan is to drop it off at the shop to late this week or early next week for machine work and confirming the piston size I'll be running.  Plan is to run the Wiseco flat top and K1 combo.  I have a set of bowl ported heads that will be getting cleaned up and will probably run 2.08/1.6 valves. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic