TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ax-15 4wd for swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 9:10pm
Thanks for the info. I suspected an issue. If I peeled off the 4.0, what options would I have being the crank
sensor is in the flywheel. Could I use the flywheel and bell with any other trans? The hornet is currently an auto. Could I swap flexplate from the 232 and add the crank sensor to the balancer via a kit
I think I've seen? I like the 4.0 idea but don't have much experience with 6's.

1. The sensor is on the bell housing, the crank has notches in it that the sensor "reads". If it's a 87-90 Renix style it has notches all the way around, as already stated. There is nothing wrong with the Renix electronics. The only limitation is in diagnosing problems. No cheap readers for it. Fortunately it's not hard to diagnose the old fashioned way -- know what each sensor does and test them. Figure out which is the likely culprit by knowing how the engine reacts to a bad one. There are guides on-line to help with all that. I run a Renix, and have been for years. Wouldn't pass one up, but the 91-95 OBD1 system is easier to deal with.  The Renix uses an induction coil CPS (crankshaft position sensor) that also gives an RPM signal. The 91+ models use a Hall Effect (magnetic) switch, no RPM signal.

2. Advance Adapters used to make a balancer kit that used the factory sensor. You should be able to use a factory sensor with the HESCO balancer. The only difference is the mounting bracket for the sensor. If using the 91+ system use a 99 or so Jeep Wrangler sensor, not the Cherokee. Easier to drill a hole in the right location on an older bell and use the sensor on any trans. The sensor tip needs to be only about 0.010 or less from the flywheel though -- all but touching. As far as clocking around the bell, measure from the two closest bell housing bolts on a Jeep trans, and measure from the forward edge back, then drill a 5/8" hole in the bell you intend to use. The HEXCO kit is rather pricey. Some have cut their own balancers, others have used aftermarket trigger wheels. Just needs the notches in the correct position. You can use a Renix flywheel with a 91+ system IIRC, just not the other way around. As far as I know the 91+ system only looks for the 3-4 notches before the wider TDC notch (three of them, evenly spaced around the flywheel/flexplate), and would ignore the extras. The Renix counts all of them for the RPM signal and wouldn't work without notches all around. Well, it actually looks at the square wave form of the electric signal generated by the induction coil, but the simpler explanation of "counts the notches" works...

3. You can use any manual trans, but if using an auto you will need a Wrangler flexplate for a TF trans. The AW4 flexplate will push a TF converter back into the trans too far, binding the pump. You can modify the converter or flexplate for the correct spacing, but since the TF comaptible flexplate is available and not too expensive, why take the risk (Wrangler used a TF999, similar to the 904 and 998 used in older AMCs).

4. If you have a complete parts vehicle (Cherokee) to work with, it's just about as simple as lifting everything from under the Jeep hood and plopping back down in the car. I prefer to take the under hood wiring out of the car for a 91+ system and use the Jeep wiring. Just have to change a few connectors and wire lengths (for lighting and such), and you end up with newer wiring and very little wiring to do to the car.
Frank Swygert
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 9:48pm
I'll explain this in the way that I think of it.

The flywheel itself is a physically mechanical bridge between the crankshaft and clutch assembly for the transmission. It's essentially dependent on nothing. The tone ring is a logical electronic bridge for the ECU firing pattern, advance curve, fuel trim, idle circuit and throttle. It depends on the ECU that matches the tone ring pattern on the flywheel.

I currently have a 285" L6 with 2nd gen MPFI using the 4.0L flywheel married to the clutch for a 258 along with a wide ratio Non World Class T-5 transmission bolted up. The wiring system is literally the only complicated part of all of this and that's only between the ECU and all the various circuits. The actual "work" behind this wiring consists of 4 wires:
The ECU ground and assorted redundant grounds
Hot wire to +12V (open)
+12V switched system on circuit
+12V to starter

Everything else is cake.

For compatibility sake and simplicity, the Hornet is best handled with a 3spd automatic. Either the Chrysler 904 (TORQUEFLITE) or a Select-shift Ford Cruise-o-Matic.
Javelin69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 9:55am
So the ax15 flywheel works with other trans but not the bellhousing is what I'm hearing, so you use the existing flywheel and modify the bell of your choice to accept the sensor or relocate it to the balancer. Besides wiring and trans mount, the rest is pretty much bolt in.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 9:54pm
A Renix flywheel will not work with a 91 to 95 PCM. The engine will randomly fire but will not fire often enough to actually run.
My AX-15 is in an American convertible. Convertibles have an extra structural plate under the tranny so I made a mount to support the tranny on that plate. The factory crossmember does not fit at all because the AX-15 is so big, so I eliminated it.
As for motor mounts, I used stock Rambler replacements. The 4.0 block is about a quarter inch wider, so I planned to elongate holes to make up for it. The replacement mounts happened to be a little shorter than the originals, so it all fit together perfectly.

Edited by 6768rogues - Feb/27/2017 at 9:58pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 5:54am
One more thing -- you need to use the 4.0L starter with the 4.0L flywheel. It will bolt right up, but the offset of the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate are different between the older model starter and 4.0L starter. 4.0L starter is the better one anyway, a bit smaller too.

The extra notches on the Renix flywheel must confuse the later computer system. Apparently the later computer DOES "count" the notches, and expect the large flat. Never tried it myself... thanks for pointing this out 6768rougues!
Frank Swygert
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 4:11pm
I tried the Renix flywheel with a 1995 PCM and it would not run. With the correct flywheel it started with a tap of the key.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Javelin69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2017 at 10:13am
So the easiest plan looks like the Comanche 4.0 ( it's a 92) and purchase a 4.0 wrangler flexplate and drill the existing hornet auto bellhousing to accept the crank sensor. Since I won't have anything to use as a template for sensor location I'll be a little in the dark there. Since the ecu and wiring
Is included with the motor that should be ok. Any advice or if I'm wrong with any of my ideas let me know.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2017 at 8:15am
That sounds like a plan. You will need to get under the hood of a 4.0L auto (all the AW4s and Wrangler 998 trannys with 4.0 have the sensor in the same location)and carefully measure for location. You can be a little off, about 1/16", but get as close as you can. If too far off it can affect timing. Easiest to measure a Wrangler or later Grand Cherokee (2004) and use that sensor -- it has a single mount point. Measure back from edge of bell to center of sensor, then measure from the two closest bell bolts -- one above and one below the sensor. Transfer to your bell and drill. Doesn't matter if you measure from a two or one bolt sensor -- position is the same.

Scroll down in the following link and you will see the single bolt sensor:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Crankshaft-Position-56027868-Wrangler/dp/B01K3CCSNQ/ref=pd_sbs_263_13?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01K3CCSNQ&pd_rd_r=VXNN7NHTQEK6FTEM1243&pd_rd_w=eAKcL&pd_rd_wg=OvjX3&psc=1&refRID=VXNN7NHTQEK6FTEM1243

And the two bolt, usually found in XJ/MJ models:
https://www.amazon.com/Position-Sensor-1997-01-CHEROKEE-Complete/dp/B00FSCANCU/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i4?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=V6YB5WZ0Q55GYVZFSJ2D&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cded295-23b4-40b1-8da6-7c1c9eb81d33&pf_rd_i=desktop

Location for the hole is the same. The one bolt style fits in a 1/2" hole, IIRC, the two bolt needs a bit of an oblong hole. I used a two bolt in the first 4.0L install I did back in 1999 because that's what I had. Just wallowed the hole out side to side with the drill bit. I made two small sheet metal angle brackets, drilled and tapped the bell for small screws to hold the brackets on, bolted the sensor to the brackets.

The sensor has to be all but touching the high part of the flywheel/flexplate. Some replacement sensors come with a thin piece of cardboard on the tip. The cardboard is like a matchbook cover -- about 0.016" thick (matchbook cover trick to set points in an emergency....). If you have that push the sensor in until lightly touching a high part of the flywheel (make sure motor is turned so a high part is under your hole) then tighten down and turn engine over by hand to make sure it's not dragging on the sensor. If you don't have the cardboard (I didn't, used sensor that came with my motor and bell, no trans...), you can push the sensor in until it touches then lift slightly. VERY slightly, just enough it doesn't touch. If not close enough you won't get a signal and engine won't run.
Frank Swygert
Javelin69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2017 at 10:34am
I was thinking if I had the two bolt version that would pretty much locate the position because I'm under the impression it mounts to two of the bellhousing bolts. Maybe I'm wrong, but if so the supplied bracket could be the template.
Re-reading your post it sounds like the sensor may mount with
It's own screws. Guess I'm unsure now.

Edited by Javelin69 - Mar/04/2017 at 11:02am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2017 at 8:52am
The two bolt version DOES NOT use bell housing mounting bolts, has it's own two bolts.

Note there are two bell housing bolts close by though.

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic