TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aviaid Dry Sump Oil Pan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 3:07pm
i can post the email that Aviaid sent if yall would like to read it.  Quote was $3k for a 4 stage complete system.
Why is priming a drysump more imperative than a wet sump before startup? To that end wouldn't an accusump plumbed in negate the need for priming? Though I'm not sure I've seen an accusump on a drysump system? 
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 4:31pm
Lets try this one:

<iframe width="720" style="border:0" height="416" border="0" src="https://public.fotki.com/Coloradoamx/barry-allen-ta-engine/ta-engine/20181229-123426.html?iframe=1"></iframe>
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by i6cj7 i6cj7 wrote:

i can post the email that Aviaid sent if yall would like to read it.  Quote was $3k for a 4 stage complete system.
Why is priming a drysump more imperative than a wet sump before startup? To that end wouldn't an accusump plumbed in negate the need for priming? Though I'm not sure I've seen an accusump on a drysump system? 

Think about the -an hose ends @ $40/ea, stainless hose @ $10/ft, crankshaft mandrel, pulleys, belt, remote filter adapter, custom brackets (none made specifically for AMC) and tank if that is not in the quote.  Then you have to relocate your stock alternator mount.  If you have a dry sump system you CAN prime, but you can NOT with a wet sump system, so that is one of the benefits of the dry sump system over a wet sump.  You certainly can choose to not prime a dry sump system after it has been sitting for a while....caveat emptor 
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 7:23pm
the quote from avaiad was for a complete system, tank, pump, pan, mount, remote filter etc.. I'll try and post the list  they didn't say anything about relocating the alternator so i can't speak on that . 
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 8:37pm
[QUOTE=Coloradoamx]Lets try this one:

<iframe width="720" style="border:0" height="416" border="0" src=" https://public.fotki.com/Coloradoamx/barry-allen-ta-engine/ta-engine/20181229-123426.?=1 - https://public.fotki.com/Coloradoamx/barry-allen-ta-engine/ta-engine/20181229-123426.html?iframe=1"></iframe>
[/QUOTE

Nice thanks for the video, do you have a build thread on your engine and sump system.?]
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 9:40pm
I didn't do a build thread on the engine.  The engine was the result of collecting the right parts over a few years to build a Trans Am spec destroked 304.  I bought an excellent 360 cid service block and destroked crankshaft from Adam Tarr (he's on the forum) and collected a few other necessary parts over a period of years and sent them all to Barry Allen in West Virginia.  I think my engine was the 3rd or 4th Trans Am engine he's built.  Diamond pistons, K1 rods, T&D shaft rockers, and Barry's touch on the heads and intake.  1.710 exhaust valves and 2.08 intake valves.  Barry also spec'd the dry sump pump and fabricated the brackets for the pump.  The cam is Barry's propritary design.  I bought the dry sump pump, pan and remote filter mount from Aviaid.  Great people to work with by the way.  I started out with the dry sump tank mounted inside the car, but the original Trans Am spec required that the tank be "forward of the firewall."  That's why I eventually did the work to be able to mount it in the same place as the real Trans Am Javelin.  The whole effort setting up the engine for dry sump was a really interesting project for me, especially learning the issues associated with dry sump, and I'm still learning.  It seems pretty straightforward, but I had to learn a few things; the height of the tank in relation to the pump, venting the tank properly to maximize vacuum scavenging, the different sizes of the hose required for pick-up vs return, etc.  The pump also needs to be spec'd for the engine.  Aviaid and others have a plethora of different pumps, so listen to your engine builder when it comes to sizing the pump.  
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2018 at 10:31pm
Dry sump oiling...worth watching.  Covers priming the system too.

i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2018 at 11:12pm
good video, so if the tank is lower than the pan, wouldn't that keep it from gravity feeding back through the pump?  On a car that might be harder to do. But with the height of a jeep it seems feasible. Unless there's a reason it can't be lower than the oil pan? 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2018 at 11:39pm
The bottom of the tank should be even or slightly higher than the pump to allow for gravity prime of the pump.  Think about all the oil running back into the tank after you shut down the engine.  The pump will lose prime.  This is in the instructions of all dry sump systems.
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2019 at 1:50am
Gotcha that makes sense Colorado.  Maybe a nrw thread should be started but what are some mods or things that should be done to an Amc block for drysump? Aviaid suggested a 4 stage, so at least one scavenge pump would should pull from the lifter valley i assume? I assume this is probably more important if the engine will have a turbo  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic