TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

automatic transmissions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amcjavelinman54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: automatic transmissions
    Posted: Aug/09/2014 at 2:01pm
Had the idea to put a 5 speed trans in my 69 base model javelin, started to pick up the parts I needed from your suggestions hear on the forum and I thank you. But due to a recent knee injury it looks like my clutching days are over, So now my question is what automatic trans with overdrive will bolt up to a 1974 amc 360. I just want something alittle more modern for better gas mileage and performance.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2014 at 4:57pm
Topic: AW-4 Conversion by Rick (SC397)
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
Josh View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2014 at 9:33pm
I've had two AW4s, one in a Jeep and the one in my Gremlin. They're great transmissions, seem to have a nice gear spread, shift solidly and are tough as nails.

When I owned the Jeep, a transmission line burst while I was driving and I lost so much fluid that it wouldn't even go into gear. I thought for sure I had smoked the transmission. Once I got it home I fixed the line, filled it up back up and it worked flawlessly, like nothing ever happened. Just one testament to how tough they can be.

By the time I sold the Jeep, it had 208k miles on that original AW4 and I still would see it around town a year later.
‘66 Marlin, 327/M10
‘70 Rebel Machine, 390/M12
‘74 Javelin AMX, 401/727
‘80 Concord DL, 258/904
‘98 Cherokee, 4.0/AW4
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2014 at 10:04pm
700R4 and the 200 can be used.  Both will work with out a computer and about $100.00 or less worth of electronics.  The of course need adapters but are available.
Give you 4 speeds, one of which is an over drive and a lock up torque converter.
And the the 700 can be built to handle any HP an AMC engine can be made to work with.
I have one in a Hornet using the column shift for the 904 with a lokar kit and the uses a remote transmission cooler mounted under the passenger side floor pan.
It did require widening the transmission tunnel simply because it was easier to install it and the accessories that way. With the rugs installed it is not even noticeable.  And a lokar filler tube to serve as a dip stick for it.
I have a 5 speed in my Javelin, I installed it roughly 20 years ago.  A good investment as far as I am concerned, but advances in automatics and a bad back and legs, make the 700r a smart move.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2014 at 11:02pm
If you happened to pick up a Hurst linkage in your parts collecting, and not longer need it, I would be interested in a price quote - privately of course.   

Seriously, I would love to get rid of the Javelin linkage in the Gremlin that we are using.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
Amcjavelinman54 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amcjavelinman54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 10:45am
Thanks for the information on the auto trannys, Now who makes the adapters for the700r4 trans, And how much fabrication is involved with this convertion
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 11:38am
One such adapter can be found through:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine_to_transmission/kit_437amc.htm

Another:
http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/716138--chevy-auto-trans-to-amc-engine-adapter/

or:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/transmission-drivetrain/part-type/bellhousing-adapters/bellhousing-bolt-pattern/amc/transmission-type/700r4

And I used a shift linkage kit from LOKAR to adapt the Hornet Column Shift for the 904 to the 700R4 transmission.
It requires some bend to fit and a bit of creative thinking but it works. A little better with a slight adjustment to be done.

I like a 2200 rpm lock up converter (they are a stall converter) on the set up, but they are personal preference but that allows a bit more flexibility in cam selection and various kits are available to energize the lock up on the transmission.  And it can be done with a simple switch but there are down sides to that.
I use one that samples the PORTED VACUUM off of the carburetor AND the 3/4 SERVO PRESSURE along with a brake switch to disengage if the brake is applied.  Cost of those generaly +/- $100.00 or so.

Basic fabrication is simply the rear transmission mount and the drive shaft.  In my case a simple plate attached to the existing AMC transmission mount by welding and few hole drilled for the GM transmission mount and by pure lock the drive shaft was the right length and an aftermarket slip yoke and the proper universal applied by a drive line shop ran under a C note.
I was able to get the 700R4 dipstick in the car but it will be replaced by a LOKAR unit for looks and the cable adapters for the AFB carburetor allowed the linkage to the cable that controls shift points. ( I forget the name of it)
I also chose to arbitrarily widen the transmission tunnel by 4 inches on the passenger side of the car which gave room to mount the 3/4 pressure sensor and a partial location to mount the transmission cooler under the car rather than use the radiator.  This is not really noticeable inside the car as new rugs went in too and there is plenty of room for the foot well.

Edited by uncljohn - Aug/13/2014 at 11:46am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 1:09pm
NONE of the adapters listed are for a 390? Am I out of luck in installing a 700r4 in my 70 AMX? Are there any other auto overdrive trans that will work?
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 1:27pm
The kits will work with 290-401 motors but may need to get creative for an early flat crank motor as I am sure the kits are for the later step flange cranks.

In that case you would need to get the adapter from 1 of the AMC venders to use the early motor with a later auto trany then the Advance kit.

The last thing to deal with would be the flex plate you get with the Advance kit not being balanced for the 390.
You then take the old plate & new and get them matched balanced.
Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Dec/09/2014 at 1:33pm
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic