TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Automatic Overdrive Shifters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 6:33pm
I can unhook from the tranny and the shifter on the column still doesn't come up where I think it should be. I had this car all apart in high school and I'm guessing I have something out of wack somewhere. Thanks for the help.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 2:07am
Mitch, I gotta drag this back up. How's the 2004R working out for you? What did you do for a torque converter and lockup control? I'm getting closer to building mine and doing the swap myself.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 8:34am
I have a 700R4 in a Hornet and it is hooked up to the column shift using a LOKAR linkage.
There is enough adjustment in the system to have PRND and one other (S?) addressable through the OEM linkage and I am satisfied with that.
It does take creative reforming of the shape of the rod that links the transmission to the steering column.

Also, as the Safety Neutral switch was in the automatic transmission rather than on the steering column, it's function no longer is there.

Edited by uncljohn - Sep/27/2016 at 8:39am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 12:57pm
Red20 How did the Quick Silver work for you. That what I'm looking at if I every get around to the 4 speed over drive setup. LRDaum
LRDaum
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 12:59pm
I really enjoy the Quicksilver.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 6:53pm
Well I can't really tell you 100%.  I got the linkage adjusted in nice and have park, reverse, neutral, d2 works as overdrive, d1 works as drive, between 1 and low I get 2nd and L works as low or 1st.  I haven't had the car into overdrive yet, in some of my pictures the car looks complete but it is far from it.  I still don't have the rear brakes on, it's running on a lawn mower fuel tank and the front end is way out of wack, shakes bad around 40 mph.  It is going to the frame machine in a few weeks, it was wrecked pretty hard when I got it 22 years ago (yes very sad I've had this car 22 years and finally got to drive it this summerShocked)...I drive it around town a little in drive and it just works as a th350.  It has a stock converter and I haven't bought any kit for it yet, hopefully sometime this winter.  We are hoping to have it on the road this coming spring...if the time and money all meet together at the same time.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic