TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Autoline reman. carb - experience?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjaakslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autoline reman. carb - experience?
    Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 8:28am
I'm looking at a remanufactured carburetor by Autoline. Never heard of this Canadian company. Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks.

Dennis
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 1:43pm
The Carter YF on my 232 I6 is Autoline remanufactured. 

They did a very nice job. The finish quality of the carburetor body, screws, and all other components is top notch. They rebushed the throttle shaft. 

The only problem is that like all remanufactured carburetors sold over the parts counter, they are not always your exact calibration of carburetor. The specific jetting and calibration of carburetors changed year by year and region by region and run slightly differently even though the carburetors look identical and fit in place of each other. Remanufacturers will take all of these carbs, rebuild them, and sell them as all the same carb. 

So if you are trying to get a 1977 49-state emissions carburetor, they could give you a 1979 California carb, a 1975 49-state carb, etc. They all run slightly different. You just have to look out for that and do your own tuning and recalibration if needed.

For instance, my engine is a 1977 49-state 232, but the Autoline carb I have is from a 1979 car. I bought an NOS 1977 metering rod and jet for it and retuned it to 1977 specs. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 6:12pm
One reason I'm not a fan of "reman" carbs in general has been touched upon a bit.
I have seen, I have watched. I saw how they do it and I have several on my shelves (along with reman other stuff like starters, alternators and more) and they sit at benches next to wire baskets and take stuff apart. The parts are cleaned, checked, certain things repaired, generically and cheaply refinished, and then those parts, all a mix of, for example, all sorts of Motorcraft 4300s, get put together as carburetors. If they are assembling one for AMC and they have Ford parts, they will plug the PCV port with compound and sell it as an AMC carb. This means that carburetor part made for a Lincoln 460 engine ends up on an AMC 360. 
So it's a "craps shoot" in a way. I suspect some are better than others, but back in the 80s, the shop I worked in stopped using and selling reman carbs and started doing our own, no exception, unless parts were actually broken. 
"your mileage may vary" as they say - some have great luck and swear they are fine, others swear at them. I am one that swears at them, and was bothered by how I saw, PERSONALLY saw, them doing it.
sjaakslinger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjaakslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 6:58pm
Thanks for the info! I also saw some cheap carbs on eBay, I assume Chinese knockoffs. Anyone experience with those?
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 9:40pm
I understand the hesitation against remanufactured carburetors and I know them all too well. I've seen some really bad ones. The one Autoline reman carb I have is really well done though. Even if it is the wrong year carb, all the parts inside it match each other. If you are getting a reman carb, I'd say Autoline is the company to go for.

That being said, I'd much rather have my original carb rebuilt. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by sjaakslinger sjaakslinger wrote:

Thanks for the info! I also saw some cheap carbs on eBay, I assume Chinese knockoffs. Anyone experience with those?

the story on at least the Chinese "Weber" carbs is -- DO NOT BUY. JUNK. they look great in the pictures.

there is such as thing as "this did not cost enough" (different in fact but similar in appearance to "overpriced" :-)

carburetors are exacting and precision devices in an analog sort of way that is not amenable to cutting costs. i like and install Weber carbs, no longer interested in "stock" for all the reasons in this thread, and buy only the current Spanish made Webers and from known-good sellers (mainly racetep.com, luckily local to me).

the eBay "weber"s (from memory) are around $150, where a real one is $400 new. it's tempting, but you'll likely have nothing but trouble.

it's like the 19th century "snake oil" scene again for different reasons than before. "lowest possible cost" (buyers, and manufacturers) has been taken to foolish extremes.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 10:05pm

I've had the exact opposite experience with the eBay Chinese YF. I was working on an old Ford with a buddy of mine, and we got one just in case we needed to use it to pull parts from (and also because we were curious to see for ourselves how it works measure up). There's a little bit of junk in the mix, but it was all easily replaceable parts. Basically, getting a good rebuild kit with it resulted in a perfectly serviceable replacement (though one we never ended up needing).

All said, it's probably a crap shoot like is usually the case with knockoff parts.

EDIT: I just noticed the post above was referring to the Chinese Weber copies, not the YFs. No experience with those, but I've heard they're universally awful.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 12:15am
It's hard to screw up a YF. Just about the most simple carb ever made. 

They are literally just a metering rod moved by a diaphragm that also doubles as the accelerator pump. Grand total of like 3 moving parts. I have a whole host of metering rods, jets, and pump springs for mine to get it dialed in just right. I love that little carb. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 2:24am

I'm looking at a remanufactured carburetor by Autoline. Never heard of this Canadian company. Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks.

Dennis

They are here in Winnipeg. They will not deal with the general public or repair shops, only parts houses. A friend used to work for them years ago rebuilding carbs, fuel pumps, water pumps ect. My Safari van has a reman distributor from there. My Contour has a water pump from there. My Eagle had a half shaft from them. Dont have that car anymore. They have a longer warranty that other companies on most parts. Have not heard anything bad about them. Thats all I know.

Edited by maximus7001 - Jul/14/2018 at 2:38am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

It's hard to screw up a YF. Just about the most simple carb ever made. 

They are literally just a metering rod moved by a diaphragm that also doubles as the accelerator pump. Grand total of like 3 moving parts. I have a whole host of metering rods, jets, and pump springs for mine to get it dialed in just right. I love that little carb. 

I have to admit, I wasn't too keen on it until here recently. There were a lot of elements of the design that I mistook for drawbacks for a while. One day it just clicked, though, and I realized that a lot of the things I didn't like about it were actually really handy nuances if viewed in the right light. I still don't care for how prone it seems to be to having internal clogs, but what are you gonna do? Just clean it out, I reckon.

The BBD, on the other hand. . . I don't think I'm ever going to be on good terms with those.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic