TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Auto Zone motor stand 750 lb model

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Zone motor stand 750 lb model
    Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 2:31pm

Store: Auto Zone

Tool: Motor stand Duralast brand 750 lb model

Cost $80

How did it work?  I needed one fast, for degreasing & painting, and they had it in stock. Have not really started to use it

Compliments: I can get another one real easy.

Complaints: What is BAD is the head, you can not adjust it to the center line of the AMC v8 motor with the heads on. This would be about where the cam is, you can only go a little above the crank center line that is it. I fear when I rotate it over to clean & paint the bottom it will flip as it is top heavy and may never get it back up right.

I do not know if AZ other models use the same head or not.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 4:49pm
I bought a cheap stand from a similar vendor and it looked like it was going to fold in half with the engine on it. Took it back and bought a much stronger model.
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 5:19pm
I don't care what brand/make/model/rating I have - I always feel  like they are going to fold in half Confused

Last one I bought was a pretty nice one from Jegs with the gear drive to rotate the engine...I still wedge a 2x4 under the pan while a motor with heads are on it.

I've had a few with 3 wheels that i got for "free."  I wouldn't buy anything but a 4 wheeled model.

But now I've hijacked your thread Dave.  Glad to hear that you are still making progress!

Steve
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 5:43pm
I have 4-5 stands, but only one is a 4 wheeled one............the others I store engines on.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 8:35pm
I have a Lakewood I bought back in 87 for something like $125 ON SALE! It's a 3 legger and has no provision for a bar to turn the head with. Grab the mill and twist. Anyways, strongest one I've ever seen. Have to double check the rating, but if it's a 750, it should be rated 1500. LOL
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 9:36pm
I should of said it is the 3 wheel type and will be used to store motors on.
I also have a U base 4 wheel 1250 lb I bought from summit years ago and love it.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
javsst View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 3:17pm
Dave -

I have a pretty heavy duty one I bought from of all places, McMaster and Carr.  It's worked out really
well.  The only trick, being it's a 4 wheeler, is remembering to extend the boom on the lift out enough
to get the engine on the stand.

I have one of the engines one the dolley that I think Eastwood sells, and the 401 is on a wooden
pallet for now :)

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic