TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Australian Trans-Am Javelin/Mad Max AMX etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australian Trans-Am Javelin/Mad Max AMX etc
    Posted: Nov/11/2013 at 4:46am
Hi everyone
In my travels organising the 1st annual Australian AMC/Rambler show for next year I have been in contact via email with the guys at the Australian Muscle Car Magazine and they are VERY interested in ANY information or especially photo evidence of the Kaplan Trans-Am Javelin and the Mad Max pre production MFP AMX. I have started this thread PURELY for these two subjects at the moment to either prove once and for all they existed or at least to gather enough info for the guys at Australian Muscle Car magazine (AMC for short, how fitting Tongue ) to run a Missing In Action article to put the word out and find out more. There are some credible names associated with these stories so are they true? Does Ray Sprague have the Trans-Am javelin now and give it a few laps around Calder? Where is John Caddy or his siblings now who brought the Trans-Am javelin into Australia? Are there any American guys who remember the deal? Where are some pre-production pics from Mad Max archives that could reveal the AMX? Did Johnny Lightning model cars know something we don't when they made the MFP AMX? So here goes and feel free to cut and paste any other info in the other threads that we have already gone over as the AMC guys will be reading this with great interest. Thanks Smile

Edited by 70Hornet - Nov/11/2013 at 4:52am
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 12:27am
If some-one get's really bored over the weekend LOL can they cut and paste some of the info on these 2 subjects that has cropped up in some of the other threads Smile I think some in Aussie AMC Motorsport etc. Or if you have any info to add no matter how small please do
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 1:19am
Judging by the responses (or lack thereof) maybe there is very little known about the cars in question.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 2:23am

Maybe. Plus not everyone reads this forum. Only a small part of the overall AMC community in Australia follows this forum too.  I think any info on these cars, if any, will come from someone outside of this forum if they stumble on this info or are asked by someone who reads this stuff.

Anyway here goes with stuff from other threads on this forum from other forum members;

From Australian Motorsport AMC's;
Just found this in the ongoing quest for knowledge:

From the Javelin Register of Australia

1969 Javelin Race Car - (pictures not available) as told by John Caddy's son Andrew.

In 1968 John Caddy of VIS Con Transport in Darwin talked to Harry Tedstone, the American Motors representative at AMI in Port Melbourne.

Harry Tedstone's long time friend Carl Chuckmakian had been involved with the introduction of Trans-Am racing to AMC. John Caddy's idea was to campaign a Javelin in the Australian Touring car championship as two-door cars were allowed to be used and the engine size limit allowed the 390 cu.in. to be used. A car duly arrived, supposedly it was prepared by Ronnie Kaplan. Two 20' containers arrived in Perth and were transported by Vis Con's own trailer by road. When the containers were opened container one had a base line Javelin with optional suspension, 390 engine and T-10, traction bars by factory and heavy duty front sway bar but it was not race prepared in any way.

The second container had a Kaplan prepared 390 engine with headers, cross ram etc., flared front fenders, hood to clear the engine, racing brakes for front and rear, Panhard bar, beefed up suspension arms, quick ratio PS, 15" wheels without tyres.

It was all there but not assembled. This was not what John Caddy had expected to arrive. He had expected a turn key car with spare engine ready to race. After many phone calls to Chuckmakian he agreed to have Kaplan help in any way he could across the pacific. John Caddy had his mechanics assemble the car and near the end of 1969 the Javelin was beginning to look like a race car. Then Ronnie Kaplan quit, Roger Penske took over the team to prepare the cars for 1970. John Caddy did not have an agreement with Penske. His agreement for help was from Kaplan, with Kaplan gone, so was the help.

As the 1970 season began in Australia the car that could have beaten the Jags and maybe the Mustangs sat dejected in a corner of the Vis Con workshop in Darwin. Eventually Caddy had the car de-tuned and painted gold for the street and drove it for 10 years around Darwin still LHD, the hot 390 was raced in a boat in NT and Queensland.

FOOTNOTE: This Javelin is now painted Red, White & Blue and being race prepared by its current owner, Ray Sprague, of Melbourne. Actually Ray has been testing her out around the banked track at Calder Park and isn't giving away any secrets

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 2:25am
Also on this forum;

""A Kaplan prepared 69 Trans-am Javelin did make it's way over to Australia for the touring car championships if I'm correct but never made it to any tracks (the car still survives and has been raced in recent times).""

There is more in some of the other threads but I can't remember who or where?
mopar63 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 2:26am
my mate here in NZ has bought the Mad max AMX and it is now in the process of getting stripped then media blasted,it has some horrible paint on it and not sure if the MFP colours are under it or had been stripped out before ,I'll give him a call to check it out if you like

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 2:28am

AMC Mad Max pre production MFP car?

Some stuff from other threads from various forum members

I will post some of the info I have and will get Dave to add some pics. Not sure how to do them. They never seem to work.
 Anyway I will start with an Interesting car. AMX 15. This car was sold new by Champions here in Adelaide. most of its life was the Norm Until around 1980. It was purchased by Hendon Studios for use in Mad Max. It was painted in the familiar yellow red and blue. It was to be used as a police pursuit vehicle. Unfortunately according to my ex Mechanic who worked at Hendon studios where it was painted The director only wanted Australian Vehicles for the pursuit cars. The car was sold off in Broken Hill after the Movie was shot. It was painted Havana Gold. It dissapeared for a while and surfaced In Nowra and is now dark Metallic Brown. The owner confirmed finding red yellow and Blue paint when prepping the car. Also holes in the roof and Boot. Johnny Lighning did an AMX car in the Mad Max colours. did they know ? do they have pics ? or is it a coincidence. I emailed them and never got a response.

my mate just bought this car , he came to see me today , he loves his AMX's he has already got 4 plus a Javelin.
He hopes to land it in NZ next week so I'll go up to Gisborne some time to have a wee look at it
mopar63 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 2:31am
funnily enough my mate rang me last week to tell me that he found the holes in the roof and boot.   

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 2:34am
Some more AMC forum bit's, various members etc

just found out some more details. The car was "written off " here in Adelaide `due to an engine/dash fire. it went to auction and dissapeared ( it went to hendon studios) then went off to Broken Hill.

Hi ozziamc. Sorry mate I just read the post you had done ages ago regarding the AMX that may have been a pre-production mock up for Mad Max and was also done by Johnny Lightning. I wrote a similar thing in another thread thinking I was smart but didn't see this one (or didn't remember seeing this one). It is a very interesting story and I reckon there MUST be a photo or 2 of that car in it''s MFP disguise. Wonder where they are and who has them? I have read somewhere else on an American site about a link between an AMX and Mad Max. Someone out there knows or has proof? Surprised it wasn't used somewhere else in movie though? as there is a Hornet in it briefly. 

The story is a little shakey, Id like to be there when the car is blasted and to see the paint underneath. Its the story of two different people One the owner who says it was an MFP car and the other is a guy (my old mechanic)  who says he saw it on the set of Mad Max. There must be pictures somewhere of the car ! Anyone no Mel Gibson ??lol  has anyone tried Hendon studios ??

sent Aus films an email havent heard anything back yet

Very interesting Tongue 
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 2:40am
Originally posted by mopar63 mopar63 wrote:

my mate here in NZ has bought the Mad max AMX and it is now in the process of getting stripped then media blasted,it has some horrible paint on it and not sure if the MFP colours are under it or had been stripped out before ,I'll give him a call to check it out if you like
Holes in roof and boot sound interesting Smile See if he can get pics of anything that looks out of the ordinary ie the holes (where etc). any MFP colours under the old brown paint. Also a pic of when your mate bought it on the forum would be great Smile The guys at Australian Muscle car if they get enough info may put it into their MIA section in the magazine which has a very large readership and may help dig up more info. Someone somewhere has pics of it in MFP guise, if indeed the story is true. Thanks for info on the holes
Also the Trans-Am Javelin even if it was only a production car shipped over with another container of race bit's still makes a very interesting story of what could have been and they may also run an article to find out more Smile
Also me being a bit computer illiterate can someone when they get a chance put a good pic of the Johnny Lightning AMX MFP car up thanks

Edited by 70Hornet - Nov/15/2013 at 2:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic