TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Australian Rambler Hornet Register & Info Hotline
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Australian Rambler Hornet Register & Info Hotline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2015 at 4:39pm
Hi Wayne. Yeah 3.8 would be 232. 258 would be 4.2 or 4.3. This would be another 10/70 looking at the numbers. Might be worth contacting him for more info and maybe leaving your details for the next owner. Another Hornet found Smile
wsw View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 7:06am
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/amamoor/cars-vans-utes/1971-rambler-hornet-sedan/1081483958 - Here's another one for sale.

This is one sad sight!
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2015 at 3:30am
If you are going to sand blast a car, you must get a primer on it in sufficient thickness to cover the profile, and within a short period of time, or flash rusting will occur just from moisture in the air.
The car advertised is now just junk if he has had it blasted, then left it outside, which it looks like he has. That will be a big ask to get that body back in shape.
It looks like a crap blasting job anyway, with some areas done and some not.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

wsw View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2015 at 8:53am
Yeah, it seems crazy to take all that time, and do all that work to dismantle the whole car and then just leave it outside like that.
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2015 at 12:23am
If it is only surface rust then it is still easily saveable. It may look a lot worse then it really is. I wrecked out a Hornet in the early 90's that almost looked like this (I will get a pic up soon) but it literally had no actual rust other then the surface rust. I actually always wish I had of kept that shell as it was the straightest, most rust free I have seen but looked almost like the one for sale here on gumtree. As a side note the Hornet I wrecked out in the early 90's was a manual. It had everything (peddles, clutch, bellhousing etc) but no gearbox so I don't know what box was behind it. All the parts looked original. There was a Saginaw sitting inside the car when I first looked at it but he said it was for the HQ GTS that was sitting next to it covered in bird crap. The manual parts sold pretty quick and the shell went to some-one in Sydney who was going to turn it into a drag car. What was left of the paint showed it was a purple colour and apparently menaced Dubbo in its heyday. I bought it as a pair of Hornets from a barn near Oran Park raceway alongside a very original white Hornet (i wish I had of kept that too) I sold that one complete to a fella in Cherrybrook. It was near immaculate but no engine.
Anyhow if the one on gumtree only exhibits surface rust that hasn't eaten holes into the body then it may be a lot better then people think. Never judge a book by its cover Smile 

Looking at George Fischer's green Hornet before and after shot is a case in point. The before shot shows a car that looks a bit ordinary and to some maybe not worth the hassle but wow look at the finished car. A real credit to George. If you are reading this George, job well done mate. Great looking car Smile

Edited by 70Hornet - Jun/24/2015 at 12:31am
BigBadWayne View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2015 at 1:00am
Yep the car has it's original engine its a 2 barrel 232 , which has the G , a 258 would have an A.

304'G'02 L4501H

Birthday 02 April 1970 , Australian Motor Industries serial no is L4501H
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2016 at 6:51pm
Was talking to some-one the other day who had been contacted by the owner of the Hornet that was made into a Mercedes in the 80's. The car still exists and is being ressurrected with the front being left as Mercedes but apparently the back is going back to Hornet. I am hoping to get the owners phone number so I can give them a call for a chat and updates. A unique Hornet that still lives

BigBadWayne View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 7:25am
A 73 Hornet no less. I thought the rear lights was a good match, the front change is too much of a distraction.
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 10:43pm
Can see where this goes on the register but not game to mess with your list.
H39216,   AK13286, 12-73.
What looks to be the engine number I can see on the block is
    E
709 03
S432175    
This doesn't seem to fit the pattern of the nearby cars on the register so not sure on that.
It is a 4.2L
Thought I would give this one a go cos I like my vehicles pretty much how they come from factory.

74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 4:52am
That odd "E" is part of the engine number, but funny how it doesn't end up inline with the other numbers. I've seen that before.
So it's 709E03 which decodes as
7 = 1974
09 = September
E = 232 1 barrel
03 = 3rd day of September

However, with a 12-73 build, it appears the engine has been changed.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic