TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Australian motorsport AMC's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australian motorsport AMC's
    Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 10:49pm
We have changed this thread heading so we can talk about any AMC's that have participated in ANY form of motorsport within Australia. This includes road racing, drag racing, hill climbs, speedway etc. Whether they raced in the past, or are racing now, or maybe there are whispers of a future AMC racecar to be raced in Australia we want to hear about or see them all. Can be at a national or club level or maybe even a race project that was built but never got onto the track. Doesn't matter how minor a part the car played we would love to hear about or see a pic of ANY AMC's that have raced or are racing within Australia (or New Zealand, can't leave you guys out Wink). If it's AMC, and it's motorsport related, we would love to hear about it. Tongue 

Just wondering if anyone has any info or pics of a Hornet that still runs on Victorian speedways in one of the sedan classes in OZ. Have seen it mentioned in speedway magazines etc but never seen a pic. Would be great to see. Any other Ramblers out there still on the speedways of Australia? There used to be a few in the late 60's and early 70's apparently. I have a pic of a Rambler Classic? coupe from eally 70's on the Sydney Showground somewhere which I will try 2 scan and get up on forum when I find it again in one of my old speedway racing magazines I have collected over the years

Edited by 70Hornet - Mar/22/2013 at 12:24am
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 7:50am
Couple of pictures of Ben Ludlow's Gremlin that ran in WA many moons ago:

Then a couple of pictures of the 73 Javelin that came afterwards, raced from 1988 to 1993 and pretty much dominated in its class I believe:

After that I think it might have been late model sedans running AMC power until a few years beck when he crossed over to Mopar engines

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/13/2017 at 8:11pm
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 6:48pm
Wow thanks mate for the pics of speedway Gremlin and Javelin. They raced a few interesting cars over in WA. IE Vosbergen? raced a De Tomaso Pantera etc. The Rambler coupe I mentioned in first post was driven by Scott Dillon who is a famous Australian Surfboard maker and surfer who raced speedway in late 60's, ealry 70's. Once I find the pic I have I will put it up. It was a Classic or one of them styles of Rambler but with many fibreglass panels, which was rare back then, but easy for him as he had the facilities to make them from his surfboard business.  Anyone else know of any other Ramblers run speedway in OZ?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 10:44am
I think Ben's Javelin has a fair bit of fiberglass bodywork going on too, because this old wreck was apparantly used to make moulds off. You can see one of the moulds still sitting on the roof and the rear wheel arches have been flared out for the bigger wheels.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/13/2017 at 8:14pm
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 3:41pm

Hard to believe an aussie Javelin can end up like that Cry  for a car that, in Australia,  cost twice as much as a Phase 3 GTHO Falcon back in the day. At least it got used for something (speedway) once it ended up like that though I suppose

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 6:21pm
It apparently had a bit of a hit causing some structural damage that back in the day wasn't considered worth fixing, probably in this day and age, considering the rarity of the cars it could have been put back on the road. The Ludlow's ran a fairly large wrecking yard that had a bit of a specialty interest in Ramblers, also had a couple of earlier Javelins that were cut up for parts.
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 4:38am
Photo's of Ramblers in wrecking yards in Australia could be another interesting topic that could be added to this one on speedway cars as both usually meant the end of the line for the cars in question. Found pic of Scott Dillons Rambler. Looks like a 4 door 64 Classic (not a coupe like I first mentioned) and is sponsored by Grenville Motors which I believe was a major Rambler dealer in Sydney. It is on page 17 of a speedway magazine called 'SPEEDWAY superstars. Sideways in the 70's'. Still trying to figure out how to get pic onto forum as cut and paste are my limitations he he and it seems a bit more complex then that. No leads on  the Hornet  presently racing in speedway in Victoria yet?  And yeah the Ben Ludlow cars would have been spaceframe, fibreglassed panel cars but it is still cool to see the Rambler/AMC shapes on the dirt circuits.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 2:19am
Here is that photo of the Scott Dillan Rambler Classic from 70Hornet

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/13/2017 at 8:15pm
aussie rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 2:34am
f/yeh!!!Clap
bloody mongral bastard ramblers....lol..
huddy1955 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huddy1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 5:19am
finally get to see some Aussie AMC Rambler racing history. 
1955 Hudson Hornet Custom
1963 Rambler Classic 660 wagon
1969 AMX 343 auto NO# 09 of 24
1973 Rambler Matador Wagon 360
1985 Jeep J20 pick up 360
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic
plenty of parts cars
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic