TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 32>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 6:55pm
This is the basis of my thinking, manifold air temperatures:

1st run 90 F

2nd run 122 F
3rd run 127 F
last run 140 F 

It's not lost on me that quite often the first run of the night will have the highest terminal speed.

Night time air temperatures at the track will typically be in the 50-80 F Range.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2019 at 9:49am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Thinking to add some form of cold air intake, this looks like it has some potential:

I would make a plate that bolts on where the wiper motor did and seal the snorkel it. I think your on to something there. I have heard of other cars gaining a 1/10th or better by using cowl air.

Tom
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2019 at 1:04pm
Agree, cowl air should help... does the EFI have Intake Air Temp Sensor? or just engine temp?
Those spark plugs had been in there awhile it seems... I'd probably went hotter, not colder...
Thought with reading plugs, start with a fresh new set, make a full pass or a decent little "drive"
then inspect / read the plugs...  the "annealing ring" location on the side electrode "tells" alot...
Pics of some AutoLites 65s or 66s, fresh 343/367, Torker & Holley, couple few hundred miles, MSD 6T. 

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jan/07/2019 at 1:10pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2019 at 6:33pm
Tom, that photo of the air cleaner is the mock up design concept. I'm a little concerned about the size of the intake snorkel, so have cut that out and will make a new one that is roughly 10" x 2" to make sure plenty of air can get in.
I'd previously made a cover for the wiper motor hole, so will cut a matching hole in that and use some pinchweld seal to seal everything off. Probably seal off the vents into the cabin as well to maximise any potential ram air effects.

Phat, there is an intake air temperature probe mounted somewhere on the EFI throttle, so the quoted temperature were taken from actual race data logs, that's one of the reasons I thought they were really interesting. They are average temperature for the run, probably no more than +/- 5 degrees variation across the run itself. The guys at the track are always banging on about the colder night air bringing quicker times as the night progresses, but it's certainly not something I've observed personally and it would appear the reason is obvious. Potentially knocking 50 degrees of the intake air temperature can only be a good thing.

As for the spark plugs, I think you can completely disregard my previous post. The plugs obviously have a fair bit of history under different past engine conditions and on further investigation, the odd coloured NGK plug would have already looked like that when I put it in.

There is obviously a bit of a science in reading plugs correctly under different conditions, however, this is one of the new NGK BP6ES plugs after the first night's racing, it looks pretty good to me.

Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2019 at 11:22pm
NO DONT DO THAT. 

Isn’t that where the gremlin lives?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2019 at 7:40am
Back onto the air cleaner build.

Maybe I can use this to build a dual snorkel air cleaner some other time;

This looks more like it, just need to weld it in now:

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2019 at 12:33pm
Have you all happened to see what vintage, or reproduction for that matter,
rare Chevy passenger side Cowl Air Duct, Air Cleaner "Kits" sale for ? Shocked
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2019 at 4:35pm
Yes, came across that in my google search, then the massive arguments in the Chevy forums because it was way too much to pay for the possible performance gains since lots of people don't understand how much rare vintage parts cost just because they are rare, not because the do anything special.

You could ask the same question here, have you seen how much a 71 dual snorkel AMX air filter with flapper top goes for these days? 
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2019 at 7:07pm
So that's a high dollar item you've conceived, designed, and fabricated there for your Gremlin!
Gonna have a flexible section ?  Nice work.  Gonna invoice yourself what ? about $2,500 or so ?...  LOL Cool
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2019 at 7:37pm
$229.34 http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/spe-98801/overview/ would be the going rate. Probably could have brought on of these in hindsight now that I have revised my design for connecting it to the cowl. Their duct on that model is too big to fit through the wiper motor hole in the cowl, but I've figured out that it doesn't need to do that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 32>
  Share Topic