TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie Gremlin
    Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 8:52pm
Time to kick of the new season with the Aussie 360 powered Gremlin

It's no longer stock, never really was in hindsight, so I think a new thread is in order. Here is the old thread for reference:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/stock-360-output_topic91270.html

This is a wrap of what we achieved last season:

29/11/17 first night out with 265/50/14 street tires:
   Best time 16.23 @ 87.9 mph, best 60' 2.69

06/12/17 swapped out the street tires for the 26" x 10" slicks, didn't really need the extra traction but the T/As were old and cracked so I'd been told not to come back with them on the car. Also lost the front bumper for a 72 lb. weight saving.
   Best time 16.07 @ 91.2 mph, best 60' 2.68

20/12/17 advanced ignition timing from 5 deg initial to 15 deg initial, amazing how much difference a little bit of extra timing makes.
   Best time 15.00, best mph 93.8, best 60' 2.30

3/01/18 didn't want to waste time messing with the 600 vacuum secondary Holley carb that was never going to be a long term solution, so installed a Holley Sniper with 1" open spacer on the Performer intake over Christmas
   Best time 14.42 @ 95.9 mph, best 60' 2.24

31/01/18 replaced the rear main seal, not really a performance improvement, but better than leaking oil all over the place. The previous weeks Sniper data logs had also shown that I wasn't getting full throttle, so I fixed that
   Best time 14.24 @ 98.0 mph, best 60' 2.25

14/02/18 installed electric fans, this fixed the overheating issue I'd been having with the old factory flex fan
   Best time 14.12, best mph 98.1, best 60' 2.15

28/02/18 installed a CRT reverse pattern manual valve body, did struggle with gear selection that night, but managed one clean run
   Best time 14.00 @ 98.1 mph, best 60' 2.13

7/03/18 the previous week had identified some problems with axle windup (driveshaft was hitting the floor), so added some homemade slapper bars, which fixed that and also modified the shifter to fix the gear selection issues
   Best time 13.98 @ 98.4 mph, best 60' 2.14

9/05/18 the engine had always had a fair bit of lifter noise so on further investigation it was found that one of the exhaust lobes and the corresponding lifter had failed. Installed a new bigger and badder cam, but only got one run before the starter motor died
   Best time 14.60 @ 98.0 mph, best 60' 2.48

16/05/18 back with another starter, but it became pretty obvious that the new cam wasn't helping things, probably way too big given the relatively low compression of the otherwise stock engine and lack of a decent high stall torque convertor
   Best time 14.37 @ 98.7 mph, best 60' 2.36

26/05/18 thought I would try to be smart and advance the cam 8 degrees, didn't really help
   Best time 14.59 best mph 96.5, best 60' 2.30

Made a total of 62 runs over the season and did make some good gains before the slicks were packed away for the winter break.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 10:04pm
So over the winter break, the engine has been out for a freshen up, full detail here:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/360-shenanigans_topic94523_page6.html

Basically what's been done is:

Installed 343 style flat top pistons increasing compression to around 10.5:1

Balanced rotating assembly

Home ported cylinder heads

Torker intake to replace the old Performer

Electric water pump

Upgrade to 120 Amp one wire alternator

Machine early style 71 crank to Torqueflite specs

Installed a Turbo Action 10" S-800 converter, should be around 3500 stall

Back together and ready to run:

Hope to run it down the strip this Wednesday night weather permitting, will be very interesting to find out if all of that work has been worthwhile.

Edit:

Still running the larger cam from last season, now installed at 105 ICL with the new timing set and measured as follows:

Intake:
Open 36 BTDC, Close 82 ABDC, Duration 298
0.050", 11 BTDC, 41 ABDC, Duration 232
Intake center line 105
Valve Lift 0.510"

Exhaust
Open 77 BBDC Close 45 ATDC, Duration 302
0.050", 52 BBDC, 6 ATDC, Duration 238
Exhaust center line 106
Valve lift 0.510"

LSA 110

Exhaust it still choked through factory free flows and small bore 2" dual exhaust.

Any predictions?

Edited by WesternRed - Sep/30/2018 at 10:33pm
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 4:53am
I think a smaller cam or at least another point of compression would help
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
steinercj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steinercj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 6:58am
I predict you pass right over the 13's and are now in the 12's. I had a very similar setup in a '66 American and it was mid 12's consistently. Good air and different elevation made a 12.26.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 5:38pm
Not in the 12's just yet, had the rain come in last night, so only got 4 runs in before they called it off. The first run off the trailer was the best run of the night, isn't it always, 13.52 @ 101.76:

Had a buddy there as well:

I reckon he was a bit rusty, so managed to catch him napping at the lights:

Pretty happy so far although I was probably hoping for a bit more, still need to work on the 60' times, I've picked up about 3/10 there over last time out, but less than 1/10 over what it did with the smaller cam. Bit more practice there will probably help. 

Also seems to be lacking a bit in the top end and I'm wondering if the pea shooter exhaust is holding it back. Currently has dual 2" pipes with some unknown old mufflers on it, maybe some gains to be found there without the need for headers.

Edited by WesternRed - Oct/03/2018 at 5:50pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 3:21am
I had a good read back over the old thread and as usual there's still a few basics I need to go back over.

First one is timing, I set it up initially with 30 deg total advance, I suspect it will need a bit more? In my defence, the 4 runs last night were all made within about 30 minutes before the rain set in, so I didn't really have time to make any adjustments. Any thoughts on what the maximum safe timing would be with the new setup, I wouldn't trust myself to detect any pinging under race conditions? Couple of degrees at a time I guess and see what happens with the mph and times.

Not really sure what's the best approach to using the new convertor, seems like it flashes to around 3500 RPM, what sort of RPM should I be aiming to hold on the line?

I'm trying to gauge how much of an issue the exhaust might be, ET/MPH suggest around 250 HP, not sure how accurate this is
http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to-calculate-muffler-size-pipe-diameter/, seems to suggest that I am approaching the limits of dual 2" pipes without even allowing for mufflers. Interested to know how much HP the factory free flows (2.25" outlet) will support, to know if I would be wasting my time putting some bigger pipes on it for now. I know I really need some headers for it, but trying to hold off on that.
steinercj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steinercj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 8:13am
I found my 3500 stall converter to not really be enough. When I got up on the converter before launch (about 1700 rpm- any more pushed me through the beams) it would leave the line a bit lazy- until I got to 3000. The car definitely did better when I stabbed from idle but still needed more stall. I'd try both ways and see what your best 60' is.
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2018 at 6:22pm
34* total timing should be good

2" exhaust is small 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2018 at 6:53pm
Had an interesting discovery under the front seat, found a missing time sheet from back in May, the car actually ran 102.92 mph which is actually a fraction faster that it did with the fresh engine last week. Pretty much suggests that while the new converter is getting it off the line a lot quicker and producing better elapsed times, it's not really making anymore power. I'd temper this with the fact that I haven't played with the timing yet.

In the meantime, I had a dig around in the back of the shed and found this:

The headers have had a hard life as well as being pretty old and crusty:

Now I've seen the Engine Masters header bash episode, but I still wasn't going to stand for that, so did a bit of straightening:

Gave them the once over with the wire wheel and hit them with a bit of rust converter, just need to install them now.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 6:13am
Anyway, off with some dirty old exhaust bits:

And back on with some other dirty old stuff:

There is no way the other bit of exhaust will fit these headers easily, so it looks like starting from scratch is going to be the best option.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
  Share Topic