TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 12:30am
Manifolds were off, just did a test fit on the right side to make sure that it would live with the dipstick. I'm still contemplating getting the manifolds ceramic coated before installing them for good.

I'm still not sure if the steering is going to play nice with the exhaust manifold as I suspect the engine has been centred when it was mad RHD and the brackets on the cross member are certainly not factory. Does yours run free flows on both sides Dave?

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/13/2017 at 12:34am
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 5:03am
No, free flow on the drivers side only. You need a standard log dogleg on the dipstick side. Factory did this and parts book says so, but I've heard people fit free flow but I can't see how. Too tight. Something about grinding the strut rod bracket too.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 6:14am
Free flow on the driver's side for LHD? Looks like the free flow just fits in on the passenger side on my car, it's about 10mm off the strut rod bracket. I'm just not sure if there is enough room left on the other side for the steering. Time will tell I guess.
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 7:02pm
You did say the previous owner had moved the engine across to suit RHD. Now you've got to got back, or do factory mirror image manifolds. I don't think it will a drama. Part of the fun.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 6:57am
Had a bit of fun separating the hub from my axle to liberate the brake backing plate I need to use with the Moser axles, had to use all of the tricks of the trade, at least I only had to do one side:

Then after a bit of time with the sand blaster, it was time to build another wind chime:

Javelin fender troughs bake good paint drying racks:

Sometimes it's handy to have a couple of hammers laying around:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 7:19am
In other news, I've started accessorising:

Exhaust manifolds are going to be a problem as discussed earlier:

Engine needs to go over about 1/2" to allow room for the steering but the other side is already tight on the strut rod bracket:

Not sure what I'm going to do here, factory log manifolds don't exactly grow on trees around here, so I think I'll just get the engine running first than figure out what I'm going to do about the steering later.

Also wondering if there should be an extra brace from the top of the alternator back to the front of the engine? The motor came out of an A/C car but I won't be running the A/C here:

Amx nz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 11:47am
Yes you are right. I would send you a picture but I have so much trouble sending them if you run into trouble getting one I could send one over
Mad max # 15
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 5:36pm
Need for bracket confirmed elsewhere, I will make one, they are pretty simple.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 7:16am
Still plugging away, out with the old diff:

I with the new:

Made some reinforcing plates up for the diff mounting plates that will form the basis for some form of traction device in the future:

Also discovered that the Moser axles don't take the factory outer seals, so waiting on some conversion seals to come in from the US:

Edited by WesternRed - Aug/20/2017 at 7:20am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 7:19am
In the meantime I've made up some new transmission cooler lines, waiting on a couple of fittings for the cooler itself:

Replaced a couple of exhaust manifold studs that had seen better days and bolted the exhaust back on:

And even go as far as priming the engine:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
  Share Topic