TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2017 at 10:40am
Is that an Aussie AMX I see on the other side . What number is that one
Mad max # 15
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2017 at 3:18pm
The brake flaring too is the same as the Eastwood one, expensive, but well worth it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xYbRKUE5qA

Putting the proportioning valve under the master cylinder would probably be an issue if I ever wanted to run a manual transmission as it might interfere with the clutch linkage. I'd suggest this is probably why the factory mounted it on the other side. I'm going to mount a line lock on the other side instead. You've probably notice that I'm not looking to be 100% factory correct with this thing, just want to make it functional.

Edited by WesternRed - Feb/13/2017 at 3:21pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 6:20am
Haven't updated here for a while, did eventually finish the brake line installation, still hadn't run the rear line in this picture, but it's all done now:

One reason for the non-standard proportioning valve location was to allow for installation of the line lock on the other side.

I was trying to avoid a transmission rebuild, but when I pulled the pan off my other spare transmission I found this:

So obviously that didn't leave me with too many options:

So far I've managed to install the bolt in sprag so just a few more bits left to go:

In other news, I took my pile of diff bits down to the diff shop and got them to put them together:

Truetrac centre and 4.10 gears should get the job done:

PS: AMX number 3 I think Doug
ausrambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ausrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 4:03am
At least you know that you have had it reconditioned and you shouldn't have to touch it for a good while.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 4:06am
Sometimes you have to improvise:

At least it's starting to look like a transmission again:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 3:21am
So I finished off the auto by delving into the dark secrets of the valve body:

Hope all of those tiny balls went back in the right place:

All done:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 4:08am
Moving right along, it was then time to sort out this concoction of parts to make a torqueflite bolt up to the back of a 71 motor that wasn't intended to have one:

Goes together something like this using a modified convertor for the job:

And ultimately there was success, even got the factory kick down assembly mounted up:

Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 5:20pm
Thanks for posting these pics.
I got a lot to learn and it's a great help.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 9:14pm
Final job to do before dropping the engine is was to install the Lokar transmission dipstick, nobody told me it need to go in before you install the pan:

Of course said pan then wouldn't go back on, so the dipstick copped a bit of a trim:

Done:

Then the moment of truth, dropping the assembly into the hole, what an absolute nightmare, but after seemingly hours of struggling with angles and position, finally success:

74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 9:49pm
You did it with the manifolds on ? I did this great job installing the manifolds, getting the gaskets right, torqueing the bolts with the holes in correctly, then having to take everything off with the engine 6 inches over the mounts. Bummer !
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>
  Share Topic