TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 4:05am
Managed to run 14.245 @ 97.95 last time out, so picked up another couple of tenths and didn't need to wipe oil off the bottom of the car between rounds, which was a good thing.

I've been working on an electric thermo-fan conversion for it over the weekend using Ford Mondeo fans, which are a pretty good fit for the radiator (thanks to Boris for the tip):

If Engine Masters are on the money with 20-30 HP loss for the factory fixed flex fan, then I should be able to dip into the 13's, I guess I will find out on Wednesday night. Hopefully also resolve my overheating issues, the engine fan was a bit far away from the radiator and I didn't have a shroud so it was getting a little hot in the staging lanes.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 7:57am
This is an interesting little upgrade to hopefully counteract the extra current draw from the fans, which could push the battery and charging system over the edge. I've just installed some LED headlight globes, they only pull 0.3 amps each on low beam compared to the 55/100W halogen bulbs that were in there, which theoretically draw 4.6 amps each on low beam. I've previously bypassed the dip switch due to some melted bits or harness, so I only have low beam anyway. The fan motors seem to draw around 6.0 amps each once they are running so hopefully the LEDs will help to avoid flat batteries at the strip.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2018 at 4:56am
Oh the joys of laying on your back under the car with transmission fluid dripping on your face. At least it's done now, CRT reverse manual valve body, billet low/reverse servo and home made blocker rod in the accumulator. This better be worth at least a tenth or two, assuming it doesn't blow up on the first pass.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 8:03am
Ran 13.995 with the new valve body, but there are witness marks from the driveshaft hitting the top of the tunnel due to axle wind up, so just something else that need to be addressed.

I did fancy some Caltracs, but it turns out that 4 foot of RHS is slightly cheaper than a $500 set of Caltracs, doesn't take 2-3 weeks to get here from the US and on top of that, they don't actually make Caltracs specifically for the Gremlin.:

Some time later after a bit of welding and painting (note that the shock mount needed to be incorporated on the driver's side:

And installed on the car, still need to get some rubber bumpers for them:

Also did some work on the shifter gate to hopefully reduce the number of shifting errors:

Now it can shift between 1st and 2nd without pressing the button and going to either neutral of 3rd requires a button press (remember this is reverse pattern now)

Edited by WesternRed - Mar/05/2018 at 8:07am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 7:02pm
Looks like it's time for that cam change:

It's had a noisy lifter for a while, I guess now I know why:

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 3:52pm
Hi Darren. How is Gremlin going?

Link below has a cool ad for free AMC sunroof in 1970. has gremlin in it. Plus a few other AMC's (AMX in car park)

https://www.facebook.com/RoadandTrack/videos/10156148205701091/UzpfSTEwMDAwNTQwOTkzMzQzNjo4ODgyMzIwODEzNjcxMTU/

This link below is to some 8mm footage of Bathurst 1970. Go to 6:52 and you’ll see the Aussie Gremlin on the car transporter carrying Allan Moffats Falcons!  I wonder what the car was there for? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWA9bmAxj98

both courtesy of David Kilderry

Edited by 70Hornet - Dec/17/2018 at 4:02pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2019 at 7:01pm
Time to revive this thread I think:

The engine received a freshen up, which is covered here:

Then we had some more drag racing exploits here:

I have decided to work on the body over the winter break, leaving things to the last minute as usual, since it is nearly the start of the next season for us.

The back of the car was smashed in when I got it and as much as I like the beater look, this is just a little too much patina:

Being a multi-layered structure, it's a little bit involved to straighten it out properly, so out came the spot weld drill and seam splitter, aka brick bolster:

Before long the back of the car was looking like this:

Then a little later, like this:

The back edge of the floor/inner valance was rolled over, so after a bit of effort I managed to get that straightened out to my satisfaction.

That is just the start.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2019 at 6:55am
Never thought of a brick bolster !
Sheetmetal looks in good condition.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2019 at 7:16am
Well, some of the sheet metal looks to be in good condition, but other parts of it look like this:

I am lucky to have access to some sheet metal equipment at work, so I have been busy this week making these:

I have boxed them by adding a full length stiffener, which you can't see in the photos, so hopefully it will add a little bit of additional strength.

So the exercise for the weekend was to cut loose with the grinder and the spot weld drill bit:

Tip for budding customisers, add some drainage provisions to your fancy rocker panels:

Well at lest that is some more weight savings, assuming rust is heavier than good metal:

Out with the rusty bits and old dodgy repairs:

And in with the fancy new bits, well that will have to wait until next weekend:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2019 at 5:08pm
Little more progress, bit of fiddling required to make the little angled bit at the front, also had to add a seat belt anchor:

Then it was plug welding time:

Couple of patches still required where the floor pan was a little rusty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
  Share Topic