TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2017 at 7:51am
Final piece of the brake puzzle was to rebuild the callipers, stripped four of them and only managed to find one usable piston.

While waiting for some new pistons to come in from the US, I got the housings cleaned up and painted:

Then did the final assembly with the new pistons, new brake pads and lines, added fluid and bled the system.

Along with the new hard lines, master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders that have been installed previously, I hope that it will stop now.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 6:05pm
Had a couple of days off work this week so managed to make some progress.

Spent a fair bit of time on sorting out the wiring and putting it back to LHD configuration:

Temporary fuel tank installed, I have a fuel cell to go in the car when I get it mounted:

Then I finally got to drive it out of the shed after 2 years of work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSK5JnNbxaE

Notice the recently acquired Jeep in the background
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2017 at 7:07pm
Been plugging away doing lots of small jobs that aren't very photo worthy like fixing the wiring.

Did work out a more permanent solution for the fuel supply, still need to finish of the filler:

Made an extra spacer for the driver's side engine mount, so now I have one above and one below the mount:

I now have enough steering clearance to be comfortable with:

And the exhaust fits nice with the modified strut rod bracket too:

In the mean time, I've also made a start on some new door cards using aluminium composite panel, the intention is to upholster these as per factory:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2017 at 8:19am
Final piece of the fuel system puzzle, was lucky enough to get one of the guys at work to make this filler for me:

Did have to sacrifice a non-pristine factory cap in its production, but it certainly finishes off the back of the car, well except for the pre-existing panel damage that is:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2017 at 6:42pm
Engine bay is just about sorted for now, only a few small wiring details left to tidy up:

New rear shocks finally turned up after a bit of a wait and have been installed on the car.

Car has also been for a ride on the trailer to get the wheel alignment done:

Hopefully next time it's on the trailer, it will be heading to the track.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2017 at 7:01pm
Dash/interior is coming together, nothing fancy and still missing a few bits of the dash.

ausrambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ausrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2017 at 4:46am
Keep the progress pics coming mate, your doing a great job, next would be to fix the rear end damage.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2017 at 9:44pm
Lot's of bodywork required everywhere ausrambler.

Anyway, made it to the drag strip last night, pretty much the first time I have driven it other than up and down the driveway:

Survived it's first night out without any breakages and ran a best time of 16.23 @ 87.9 mph. Not exactly quick, but the rear tyres are shot and probably date back to the 1990's, which was reflected in 60' times of around 2.7 seconds. Will be back with some decent tyres next time to see if I can break into the 15's.

Short video of some of the action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygvVn0U4raE
RUMBLR View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUMBLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 5:54am
Haha good work!!

Miss that track..so lucky to have that up the road!

Turbo or n2o!
343 904 M20 - 11.83@115
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 4:42pm
I'll probably loose the front bumper, that is probably worth a tenth alone in weight reduction.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
  Share Topic