TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie Gremlin
    Posted: Dec/13/2015 at 9:09pm
I few people already know about my recent purchase so here are the details, the first sensible hatchback car I have ever owned:

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/14/2017 at 11:23pm
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2015 at 9:55pm
Right on!
It was my very first car too and I still got it. It don't run right now, but I'm working on it!
Congrats!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2015 at 10:03pm
Is that Gremlin tied down the way it looks ?

It looks like the strap is looped around the spokes of the aluminum wheels.
You'd be surprised how easy you can cut those straps with a edge when they're tight.
I don't think I would risk that again.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2015 at 11:14pm
Looks like a solid car.
What are your plans for this one?
Congrats on the new addition.

RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2015 at 7:14am
Nice looking Gremlin. Can we assume the badge is correct and there's a 360 under the hood?

I'd like to see more photos, especially one showing the rear spoiler since it doesn't look "factory".

Gremlins Rule.......
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2015 at 8:59am
Few more details.

As far as the wheels go, I had to give them back, the previous owner wanted to keep them and I didn't have a problem with that, not my cup of tea.

Now sporting something slightly more appropriate:

Yes, those are 360 badges on the front guards:

Not all good though as it isn't running but it does turn over by hand. Does have some period touches like the chrome plated cast iron factory 4 barrel intake and chrome plated free flow exhaust manifolds. At least it's clean inside and not full of sludge (inside the engine that is):

291C heads, nice choice:

The other inside, notice the roof mounted tacho:

Back end is a little the worse for wear, at least the hatch works:

Fortunately it looks like the bumper did it's job and took most of the impact:

More to come.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/14/2017 at 11:30pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2015 at 7:13pm
First parts order:

Shame about our banana republic Aussie dollar exchange rate these days.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/14/2017 at 11:32pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2015 at 8:01am
Back from the dead:

https://youtu.be/BZPmFi142oU
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2015 at 7:09pm
Watched the Youtube clip. The motor sounds fairly sweet considering I gather it probably hasnt been started for awhile. Cool little cars Smile Good fun
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2015 at 2:58pm
Little bit of history of the car, article from a 1991 Rambler Club of WA newsletter.

So it seems it was Snr's car, I'm told he sold it to a guy by the name of Garry Dickson and after that a couple of young guys had it. Looks like the driveline as well as the colour has changed a couple of times as it's now running a 360 and 727 combo, not the 360 and BW auto from back in 1991.

From the way the engine runs it seems it is pretty stock, certainly not one of Ludlow's ex-speedway engines or something crazy like that.

The guy I got it off kept the LSD for himself, so I have to sort that out too, hence the gears ordered and probably a Detroit Truetrac to go with them.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/14/2017 at 11:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic