TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie 73 Hornet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 2:35pm
I like that last picture. Nice car.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 6:38pm
What kind of wheels are those?

(I like. )
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2017 at 4:58am
6768rogues, Thankyou.

AMoCoLite, We call those wheels 12 slotters.
A company called ROH makes them. They come with a couple of different types of centrecap.
Really common over here on another make of car sold in USA and Australia.
Good rims, thick chrome on them, even if gone a little rusty polishes up well, but if I find something that looks more AMC issue I will change over.
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2017 at 5:40am
Wow, seeing your Hornet, and the 2 Hornets at the show the other week is really spurring me on to get mine done :-) It is going to take me a little more then 3 months though

And nothing wrong with the 12 slotters at all. In Australia we do associate them with another brand of car (am I allowed to say what brand on here lol) I reckon they absolutely suit the Hornets. But not all Hornets, for example Rob Mackays orange one that was at the 4th OZ AMC/Rambler show the other week I couldn't picture it with anything but the Magnum style wheels he has on that. And the Maroon 70 Hornet with the standard Australian Motor Industries (AMI)hubcaps suit that car to a tee. But your car with the 12 slotters look the part from this end and if you didn't know they were off a F.f.f.f... ooops almost!, then like our US counterparts you would reckon they were made for the car . But maybe I am biased as the 12 slotters have been on my Hornet for 28 years :-) and I cant picture any other wheel suiting the style of my Hornet. It did have some Kidney mags for a year or so way back then but I wasn't keen on them. There is some photo's of mine on the 1st and 2nd Australian AMC/Rambler show threads before it all got pulled apart. 12 slotters galore :-)

Love the car mate. Glad to see another Hornet is in good hands

Edited by 70Hornet - Apr/06/2017 at 5:52am
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2017 at 8:45am
Thanks Jason,
             I'm only a newborn on here compared to you and I worked out I must not say that word.
Saw pics of your car, black and chrome always looks great.

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2017 at 3:51pm
Engines in the US are often offset to the right to make room for steering components. Looking at the picture of the bottom of your car it appears that your engine is also offset to the right, without regard to extra room for steering components. Without exhaust and steering on the same side, perhaps it does not matter. I always wondered if your engines were offset to the left as ours are offset to the right. Is it offset to the right or is the picture fooling my eyes?
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

Engines in the US are often offset to the right to make room for steering components. Looking at the picture of the bottom of your car it appears that your engine is also offset to the right, without regard to extra room for steering components. Without exhaust and steering on the same side, perhaps it does not matter. I always wondered if your engines were offset to the left as ours are offset to the right. Is it offset to the right or is the picture fooling my eyes?

I did not know the answer so went over to the shed and measured.
Interesting, The engine is offset to the right whichever way I measure it.
By about 1.5"
17.5 " from Exhaust,Intake Manifold gasket line to Shock absorber nut at top of tower.
16" From other side of head to corresponding nut.
Underneath. 6" from edge of box section to engine mount stud on left side.
4.5" from edge of box section to engine mount stud on right side.
Same difference using the straight sump sides for a reference.

If I was assembling a USA built car in Australia today I would do it the easiest practical way that works. Changing as little as possible getting it to a useable RHD while spending as little as possible to get it past whatever ridiculous hurdles some goverment fella in an office dreamed up to stop me.
Thats just how Australia is.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 3:57am
Update since April.
Pretty much got the Hornet good enough to keep me happy.
New Moog front coils got here from USA. Got them on. No chance of the front wheels rubbing the fenders now so installed all the stainless trim.
Got the heater hoses and tap worked out and a new core in the radiator.

Spreading the word about AMC and Australian Motor Industries at a local car show today.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 4:36am
I love how that engine bay looks. You have your steering on the same side as all the primary electrical connections, and then air/fuel+exhaust on the other side. It's as if it was purposely meant to be like this and I can't unsee it. Our LHD American cars here in the states are weird.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 5:04am
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

I love how that engine bay looks. You have your steering on the same side as all the primary electrical connections, and then air/fuel+exhaust on the other side. It's as if it was purposely meant to be like this and I can't unsee it. Our LHD American cars here in the states are weird.

I wouldn't mind if our brake reservoir was swapped with a LHD one.
Then the brake lines coming from same would be away from the engine.
I made a plastic clip to keep the back spark plug leads from touching the brake lines.
Also would be one less thing to worry about taking the engine in and out with the brakelines out of the way.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic