TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie 73 Hornet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie 73 Hornet.
    Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 7:04pm
Been living under a rock I guess. Only found out about AMI assembled AMC cars last year.
Did some research and thought a AMI 72 Javelin would be good to try.
No luck there. Saw a Hornet come up for sale and thought that's a cheaper way to find out about AMC.
Was 3000km away so having had a few wins buying off the internet I bought it without going down to look.
Dissapointed when it arrived. Was not roadworthy like the advert said and " just a tiny bit of rust under the drivers side corner of the rear window " turned out to be the passenger side sill was rusted on the inside from one end to the other.
Also found when I joined this forum the engine didn't look to be a 258 like it should.
Our 73 is on the road now, full registration, is a 258, good to drive and I like it a lot. Glad I bought it.
Can't believe the attention it gets.

How it was.

Rusted inner left sill. The sill has 3 drains each side.
Unbelievably all three were spot welded closed. Until it rusted through the sill must of had a layer of sand, dirt and moisture about 2" deep.
The outer side seems to have more galvanising and survived OK.

Spot welded sill drain.

What to do about it. Had some 2mm gal offcuts from building a shed.
Used a stick welder all my working life but never a Mig.
Bought a Mig and spent a lot of time practicing. Pulled the engine out on Christmas Day. Started cutting out the inner sill on New Years Day.
Started at the front. Did it in 4 sections. Was harder at the back cos the sill gets deeper there so I had to straighten out one edge of my new sheet then bend it again in a different spot.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 9:26pm
Wow. Looks like you had a fair amount of work to do.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 9:36pm
Took some time to make up some of the pieces and fit them.

Had four attempts before I got the front part looking sort of right.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 10:06pm
Engine next.
Took it out so body didn't go out of shape while I had the sill cut up.
Also wanted to straighten the sump, and have a look in there while I had it off.

To help anyone new to these cars like me who buys a 4.2l Hornet and then finds they have an " E " engine block ( Should be an " A " ) here is what to look for if you are hoping you got a 258 like you thought you paid for.
258 crank has 12 balance weights.
You can measure the throw of the crank with the sump off. Its half of the stroke. ( Stroke is 3.895" ) So 1.947"
And even easier with help from members of this forum if you look on the balance weights there is a casting number. Ours is 3214723 correct for 258.

Head and intake didn't come with this car either I don't think.
Head number is 3213809.
Intake number is 3217245.
Shift Command transmission with starter on the right is odd as well.
Never mind, easier for extractors to fit and runs beaut so far.
No smoke, starts easy.

Going back in after I painted the engine bay.
Apologies to AMC fans, I picked the torquoise colour from a chart, but wish it had more green. Next time out, I'll get it better.
( Found the correct Seymour EN-66 on Amazon, cheap too, but they wouldn't ship to Australia. )

Back in.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Wow. Looks like you had a fair amount of work to do.

Bit of a challenge, but not work.
Learnt alot and real satisfaction enjoying it now.
AMC did well I reckon.
Todays cars just aren't cutting it for me.

Strange thing this car had two rear left hand side automatic wheel adjusters, so one was right on, otherside right off.
Got the correct Wagner right hand adjuster from USA. All good now.

Underneath. Transmission mount was in three pieces.
Put a new front universal in driveshaft. Shaft had A-413 on it so I put it back best I could.

Getting there.
Craigie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 11:56pm
Great work !! You have got that Hornet looking very sharp.
Hope to catch up and see it at a show one day .......... Me and my Hornet are down in Brisbane.
Craigie.........

1968 Dodge Charger "Bullitt" tribute
1971 SC/360 Hornet
1973 "Levi" Gremlin
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 4:46am
I dig the Hornet...nicely done!

Your garage looks pretty spacious as well.
ausrambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ausrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 5:06am
Great to see you putting in the time and effort on such a nice Hornet. Keep the progress pics coming.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 5:49am
Craigie, thankyou. Do hope to catch up. I have never seen an SC 360 Hornet.

AMoCoLite and ausrambler, thanks for the kind words.

Interior is pretty good. Would like to get the clock working but left it alone so far cos the plastic around it looks pretty thin and fragile.

Tidied up things in the back. Leaving the Orange hinges as a visible reminder of the original colour.

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 6:09am
On the road, really enjoying it.
What looked no good at first gave me something to do for three months or so.
Learnt plenty and got something good to show for it.
Good to get out on the road now we got it registered.
Got to say thanks to this forum, got so much from studying all the info here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic