TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ATF for older transmissions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 5:00pm
The man who has studied this and wrote a book on the subject is a man by the name of Randy Rundle of 5th Avenue Auto Parts in Clay center , Kansas . He write for the Studebaker club in there magazine Turing Wheels and the book is : The Official Guide To Modern Gasoline & Oil for Antique Vehicles . His web site is here : http://fifthaveinternetgarage.com/technical_publications.php . He builds 6 volt alternators and car for the Great American Race and is successful at it. I familiar with from being a Studebaker Drivers Club member. LRDaum
LRDaum
SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2017 at 3:03pm
The only Borg-Warner 3-speed automatics I've seen that specify Type F fluid are the type 35 and type 37 as used in the original "classic" Saab 900. (Verified in 1983 Saab 900 owner's manual.)

I know Borg-Warner was used in a lot of foreign jobs, maybe some of them used Type F as well. It must have to do with the friction materials specified by the car manufacturer.
Javelin69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2017 at 8:13pm
For the record the cenpeco product I suggested and linked to was Dextron 2 not type F.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic