TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ARP main cap bolts???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ARP main cap bolts???
    Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 7:29pm
So, I recall ARP making main cap bolts but, I can't seem to find them. Only finding studs? I was told the AMC main bolts are the same as a BBC 2 bolt main set. Part # 135-5002. Can anyone clarify this?
Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin'!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 11:23am
What are you building?
The reason I ask is that AMC used 1/2" bolts and they are torqued to 75% of their yield. That stated, these bolts can be reused if in good condition and not being used beyond their original design - i.e. racing.
These are not like connecting rod bolts that have a lot of cycling load. These should be changed regardless but many have been successfully reused for street application.
Don't know about the BBC bolt fitment, but studs are just as good.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 6:02pm
I've heard some say running main studs can effect the factory line hone,
and getting a line hone afterwards isn't a bad idea after switching to studs.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 9:03pm
ran a 232 baby 6 @ 7000 rpm for 4 years freshing every season  never had to even think of changing main bolts . rods yes got new every time . 
on a side note . never had to do more than a polish on crank as well . 
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
amx73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 9:13pm
Well, I have ARP main bolts it the engine now. But, it was built 10 years ago and is apart to be refreshed. I figured as a precaution since it's apart to change them. The were really tight and hard to break loose. So, is there a chance they stretched?

It's not a race motor. But a pretty stout 400+ hp street motor.
Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin'!
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 9:25pm
so get new bolts torque properly and they will last as long as the block does . 
edit :
I have a set off 360 I broke . crash pulled the motor mount out of block . 

Edited by toolmanxiii - Jul/20/2018 at 9:32pm
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 7:39am
Originally posted by amx73 amx73 wrote:

So, is there a chance they stretched?
If they had stretched they would have been loose not tight when you took it apart not tight.

Personally I would just reuse them over again. I used BBC ARP main bolts in my 440 Mopar because it gave me a couple of extra threads over a stock length 440 main bolt. However if you start switching bolts from another engine you need to take the time to measure them make sure the bolt holes in the block are tapped deep enough to allow the bolt to go in all the way and stop on the main cap and not bottom out in the block first. Even if ARP doesn't list a kit for an AMC (I have no idea) it is not an issue getting them if you call them direct. They sell thousands of bolts that are not in the catalog.

Tom

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic