TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ARH Small Body AMC Headers are finished!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.R. Headers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Very nice!

Just curious, what makes a header a "Small Body Header" vs. a "Big Body Header"? I know some of the headers designed for e.g. a Javelin or AMX are too wide to fit a Hornet or Gremlin, but the headers that fit a "small body" will often fit the bigger cars. Typically the small body headers make starter installation more of an adventure and may have more clearance issues to transmission, shifter linkage, etc. plus limited selection of primary pipe diameters.

So question is, will the AR Small Body Headers fit a Javelin or AMX without compromising other things? Is there much difference in vertical installed height from head ports to collector?

Jan's video and the photos of the big-body headers with 3" collector appeared to have significant clearance to the floor pan, but inadequate clearance between right side header for anything other than a standard-width oil pan. The small body headers appear to have significantly improved pan clearance and a tighter overall package.

Photos from AR's site for comparison:

Thanks,RD.

Red,

It remains to be seen. There is a very good possibility that our small body header will fit the larger body. When prototyping we did the work on a Javelin first which definitely has more space to work with that the Rambler this time around. We took advantage of that space to build the best headers we could. I'm certain that the small body headers would not have a ground clearance issue if they do fit the larger body. I'm open to working with anyone that's ready to order if they'd like to test both sets.

Nick
American Racing Headers
100% Made In USA Since 2005
addic View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 6:10pm
I'm almost ready to buy but want to know if the big body for 69 amx running milidon pan with swivel pick up lines coming out  right side of pan will fit? video of small car headers look like more clearance right lower side of pan,.   
73 401 Pierre Cardin X P1
73 401 Pierre Cardin X F3     70 X 390 4spd
69 X 401 6 spd
69 AMX 401 auto BSO
73 AMX 401 4speed pc
73 vette 427sb 5spd
73 vette convt.?
08 zx14
A.R. Headers View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.R. Headers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by addic addic wrote:

I'm almost ready to buy but want to know if the big body for 69 amx running milidon pan with swivel pick up lines coming out  right side of pan will fit? video of small car headers look like more clearance right lower side of pan,.   

Addic,

Let's do it. The small body headers had the Milodon pan with the pick up line on the side. I can always take them back if they don't work. Email me directly with a contact number at nick@americanracingheaders.com I can call you to go over everything in detail. Thanks.

Nick
American Racing Headers
acm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 1:50pm
Nick,
The headers showed up today...they are works of art.
The small body headers should be going on the AMX hopefully next week.
Will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for all the help choosing headers,
Andrew

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 2:02pm
Ditto for my 74 Gremlin, works of art is an understatement.

The whole shootin match is going in this week.
Gremlin Dreams
A.R. Headers View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.R. Headers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 4:02pm
Great news guys! Thank you so much for choosing ARH. Let's make some horsepower.

Nick
American Racing Headers
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 5:01pm
Are mine on the way? Big smileBig smileBig smile

........Ty

Edited by 6t8amxetc - Jun/16/2018 at 6:03pm
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 12:27am
are the small body headers available for the square port heads? what size pipes?
flying tomato View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flying tomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 4:29pm
Just ordered a set of small body for my Spirit. I'm tired of repairing mild steel headers. Have at least three cracked welds on the Hedman's that came with the car.
ambassador401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambassador401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by myrambler myrambler wrote:

are the small body headers available for the square port heads? what size pipes?

Also interested if the square port versions are available?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic