TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Are these decent lifters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2014 at 9:22pm
The Clay Smith website plainly shows the AMC lifters made is U.S.A.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2014 at 10:49pm
I know, I bookmarked it awhile back. Calling and finding out what .904 actually is is the only sure way to know what size the lifters are.

If it didn't say .904 and USA Made I wouldn't have saved their information for follow-up.

And that is the entire point.  These days one must verify that .904" actually is at least .904", and not some rounded up range below that. And that is just a baseline. Some engines my require something larger after bore inspection and proper clean-up.

Piping up on this has brought to light that out of round needs attention too. I didn't know that before. So there is something to learn for everyone.

An AMC  engine deserves the best attention to detail one can muster.

Steve
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2014 at 11:14pm
I have run edelbrock's in a 360, still running strong, and comps in 2 401's, still running strong, with 60lb cold and hot rpm, and 28-35 hot idle.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
ScrambledEgg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 9:15am
ScrambledEgg
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 9:24am
Yeah, call or write 'em.

Steve
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 9:28am
Originally posted by ScrambledEgg ScrambledEgg wrote:

the two Comp Cams hyd. lifters avail indicate they are .904

High Energy:

Pro-Magnum:

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that they are the same as Mopar lifters.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 9:46am

[/QUOTE] My thoughts are that they are the same as Mopar lifters.[/QUOTE]
yes, that is what the site indicates. Is the fact that they are the same as Mopar a bad thing? Not trying to be sarcastic - just trying to learn here as I am not sure of the difference between AMC and Mopar lifters if anything.

any information appreciated.
ScrambledEgg
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

Yeah, call or write 'em.

Steve
Ok, just sent them a detailed email into their tech hotline - I asked speicifics like what is the true diameter and I asked for it to be out another decimal point from what they indicate to be .904 (I put in the email a question like 'are these really .9035, etc ?)....I will see what they say.

thanks
ScrambledEgg
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 10:23am

My thoughts are that they are the same as Mopar lifters.[/QUOTE]
yes, that is what the site indicates. Is the fact that they are the same as Mopar a bad thing? Not trying to be sarcastic - just trying to learn here as I am not sure of the difference between AMC and Mopar lifters if anything.

any information appreciated.
[/QUOTE] I used Mopar .903's in my 360 cam change last month. Some people make a big deal over the extra one thousandths of an inch difference. I honestly don't know if it is that important or not.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Aug/23/2014 at 10:26am
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 12:08pm

Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

Yeah, call or write 'em.

Steve
Ok, just sent them a detailed email into their tech hotline - I asked speicifics like what is the true diameter and I asked for it to be out another decimal point from what they indicate to be .904 (I put in the email a question like 'are these really .9035, etc ?)....I will see what they say.

thanks

Cool, I did the same thing! Also sent an email to Clay Smith.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic