TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Are these alignment specs unstreatable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2017 at 3:06pm
Radial tires take more caster than old bias plies. More caster means quicker return to straight running, and tracks straight easier. I can only get 3 degrees on my 63 Classic, would love to get 6 degrees! Better for a street car. With 3 degrees it's real quick to turn though, so a road race car might do better with 3-4 degrees. Mine has real touchy steering, but I think I have a quick ratio rack T-bird turbo coupe rack. Didn't mean to get it, pulled rack from first late 80s/early 90s T-bird I found without an engine. Went back later after installing, and I think that's what it came from. The lack of caster doesn't help though.
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 6:43am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Radial tires take more caster than old bias plies. More caster means quicker return to straight running, and tracks straight easier. I can only get 3 degrees on my 63 Classic, would love to get 6 degrees! Better for a street car. With 3 degrees it's real quick to turn though, so a road race car might do better with 3-4 degrees. Mine has real touchy steering, but I think I have a quick ratio rack T-bird turbo coupe rack. Didn't mean to get it, pulled rack from first late 80s/early 90s T-bird I found without an engine. Went back later after installing, and I think that's what it came from. The lack of caster doesn't help though.

Yep, I understand the caster issues... just was worried about large tire wear pattern, and overly sensitive steering with how all adjustments are left for mostly track conditions, rather than near stock.

I don't think the quick ratio T - bird rack would be much of an issue, if you had more of an exact fit. Being a wee off here and there add up. Plus the castor angle... then Mustang guys like to push 7 degrees and more. Haven't looked into rack steering arm length differences between GM, Mopar and Ford. But having short arms may require a wee more castor with GN95 racks over others.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 7:03am
Have you been running the car like this?

I might have missed it in the middle of the thread somewhere,
but how well are the 295's fitting up front? (!)

I have 255's on the front of my 71 but it hasn't been outside of the driveway yet so I just wonder what I'll be in for as far as clearance goes.
(I understand you have suspension  mods, it's the body mods to fit the tires I'm wondering about)
Thanks!
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 9:27am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

I have 255's on the front of my 71 but it hasn't been outside of the driveway yet so I just wonder what I'll be in for as far as clearance goes.
(I understand you have suspension  mods, it's the body mods to fit the tires I'm wondering about)
Thanks!

Well my front is far from stock... It has a total track width of 65" from center to center. So there is 2.5" inches more clearance than stock in the wheel well. Plus my springs will be tilted 10 degrees away from the wheels.

Yes I incorporated suspension hump modding to the body. As for rolling a lip on fenders won't know for sure as the wheels can be obtained with various offsets. I added about 1" to the lower control arm, and have a 2" spacer on the hubs. May dump the spacer depending on which offset I can find. The spacers were done for just the rack and Cobra 17x9" wheels. Once I got into further mods, the spacers are not mandatory, just gives wheel options.

I did not plan on using 10.5" wheels up front, until I looked at all the benefits from my suspension mods. Once I got what if in my head, it turned out to be yes it fits. So there you go.

Sorry to be plugging along with constantly updating this reply... Internet in my area has been intermittent and delaying of recent.

Not that I am plugging for my suspension thread, but it seems a few raise questions that I expected to have found here on my thread...

http://theamcforum.com/forum/mega-modding-suspension-steering_topic53345.html?KW=65+wide+track

Edited by 304-dude - Oct/16/2017 at 9:43am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Thanks!

Well my front is far from stock... It has a total track width of 65" from center to center. So there is 2.5" inches more clearance than stock in the wheel well. Plus my springs will be tilted 10 degrees away from the wheels.

Yes I incorporated suspension hump modding to the body. As for rolling a lip on fenders won't know for sure as the wheels can be obtained with various offsets. I added about 1" to the lower control arm, and have a 2" spacer on the hubs. May dump the spacer depending on which offset I can find. The spacers were done for just the rack and Cobra 17x9" wheels. Once I got into further mods, the spacers are not mandatory, just gives wheel options.

I did not plan on using 10.5" wheels up front, until I looked at all the benefits from my suspension mods. Once I got what if in my head, it turned out to be yes it fits. So there you go.

Sorry to be plugging along with constantly updating this reply... Internet in my area has been intermittent and delaying of recent.

Not that I am plugging for my suspension thread, but it seems a few raise questions that I expected to have found here on my thread...

http://theamcforum.com/forum/mega-modding-suspension-steering_topic53345.html?KW=65+wide+track

Thanks for the link!
I need a 2" front drop so I might even use some of your advice right off the bat.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 4:56pm

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks for the link!
I need a 2" front drop so I might even use some of your advice right off the bat.

Great, I thought I was the only one brave to do such mods. Though Farna, long ago on another forum, gave some info about another guy doing the Mustang II spindle and GN95 rack install. I never thought until later in the game of putting it all together the added benefits of how things can stiffen up and lower without lowering plates. One mod led to another.

The Mustang spring perch mod is a bit tricky in using AMC springs, you must either cut the top flat sections off both types and swap the AMC one.
Or cut down enough on the AMC sides to allow use of AMC bushings for the pivot pin.

The only part needed if going all Mustang purchase and spring is to swap the pivot pin out or modify the upper arm to mount.

Once you obtain the 2 inch drop, your going to have to limit some lower travel, as it will allow binding in pot hole instances. My drop shifts suspension 2 inches upward, while drop plates only shift spindle and wheel for looks mostly.

As for shifting the suspension out an extra inch, that started with my modded heavy duty tie rods, for linear pivoting on bump steer correction. It turned out to be advantageous for other mods. So I inadvertently made a path as I went to obtain the best all around suspension mod while keeping things looking somewhat stock. Once I get everything setup on the front end, I plan on quizzing with a picture... what is un modified stock?

Off hand of all the parts to the suspension that I left untouched is down to 3 or 4 parts at best.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 5:51pm
Found a great deal on new 18x10" wheels with a 24 backspace, though they weigh 25 lbs each. Won't be the best for track but they were to good to pass up. Having 12" wide treads on all four corners will be a hot look. Plus I can rotate them for longevity.

Once the sale hit this week they were eaten up like hot cakes. I doubt there will be any of the 18x10" wheels left by Monday. Even the 9" are dwindling down. Though you can get some staggered sets, which I think has limited the sale of singles.

Will post pix of the new rim fitment on the rear with my wide axle, to show the clearance between the leaf springs and wheel well lip.

The front won't show what I have for clearance, as the fenders are not on, and my modified suspension humps have not been installed to their new positions. Though my measurements show the fronts have equal clearance between springs and suspension components.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 11:12pm
Glad to hear you got the wheel/tire situation figured out!  I just got my new rollers on last week.  275/40zr17s on 17x11.

1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 3:20am
Nice, I am still wanting my 17" wheels back, maybe I will just use my 18" wheels for track use, and do the 17" for street. Just like seeing a wee more meat between road and wheel.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 8:35pm
Well, I am not sure what wheel is being delivered to me at this point. Went and checked my account online with the wheel provider, and nada. So i looked through a few emails from my purchase date last week to early today. Found an invoice that had the particulars. Unfortunately all the wheels that I looked at as prospects in the design are removed from the site or have been consolidated to a mixed set of 9 and 10 inch wide wheels. Only one in 10 inch but it is label sold out.

The only searchable item number beings up a wheel that does not reflect my purchase. Though it is of the wheel size I wanted, just it's design is not what i wanted. Though the wheels were economical for the tire I would use on the track.

If I knew I was going to order such a wheel, i would have gotten a more desirable option of the 4 available. Just a bitter pill for having an order which the company that lacks site maintenance. It is possible the wheels I ordered were already sold out by the time I noticed the prices, and even if I ordered few days earlier, it would not have mattered.

Crossing fingers, they stop shipment, if they do realize the miss order, and break up two sets for me in good will.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic