TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Are these alignment specs unstreatable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

Since you like that particular look check out the US Mags Rambler wheel. I love the look of it.

Hi, thanks for the option. Unfortunately they fall into the same issue I have with American Racing Torque Thrust type wheels in 18 inch format. The polished ring being more prominent than the tire side wall. I guess l like being more old school with trim ring type looks. Thus my odd pick for spokes and no prominent lip on big wheels. I guess it is making cool looking era wheels to be something too big for their britches look. Not that the wheel looks odd, it is how It looks when mounted with low profile tires for my build.

My brain wants no bigger than 17" but I feel 17" are a limiting factor now these days. Who knows 10 years from now the tires we buy will be limited to 19 and 20 inchers. Seems like new cars now, that are performance related, have 19" wheels or larger.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 1:17pm
Well you could always go with the duplicolor custom wrap peelable paint on the lip of the wheel. If you made it matte black it would completely change the appearance and look like more tire rather than more wheel... Just a thought and a possible option for any other style of wheel you want.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 1:22pm
I have actually been considering just the good ol fashioned steel D windows like menace runs on his. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 1:35pm

I have actually been considering just the good ol fashioned steel D windows like menace runs on his. 

Geeze, haven't you made up your mind yet? Ha!

I just started once you reminded or should I say told me about tire availability. Never think sleeping on something will be easier said than done. Especially tires and wheels. Hehehehehehehehehe!

Well I bet you get yours before I get mine. I have to yet get rolling so, wheels will always flip flop until I am truly in need.

I would not be so much into dealing with 17 inch tires and wheels, but when I started realising how much more wider I can go... that was a challenge to make the most of what I got, after all I never planed to add an inch and use my wheel spacers to match the rear. A true give a mouse a cookie story line for me. Until I hit a brick wall some where the endless upgrading will finally end. Hopefully wheel companies will hit a brick wall at 22" limits, I hate to see how things go with rims 15 years from now. Just my luck 15 and 16 inchers will be back in style with tire options. Ha!
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 2:17pm
I am right there with you. I just don't like the look of too much wheel and 17" was going to be my max size until I started trying to find the tires I wanted/needed. Now I am torn, I suspect I will just get the inexpensive steel D windows in an 18" and wrap them in the trackday rubber. In the meantime I will keep my classic 15" Torque Thrust II looks for the street and everyday and just put a good drag radial on the back to handle the power.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 4:34pm

I am right there with you. I just don't like the look of too much wheel and 17" was going to be my max size until I started trying to find the tires I wanted/needed. Now I am torn, I suspect I will just get the inexpensive steel D windows in an 18" and wrap them in the trackday rubber. In the meantime I will keep my classic 15" Torque Thrust II looks for the street and everyday and just put a good drag radial on the back to handle the power.

yep, the torque thrust D is a fine wheel. just for me no space for a seperate set. plus i fear the snow days with chains and a locker rear end will be a challenge. almost tempted to do anti lock brakes as my hubs have provisions for wheel speed senors. maybe when i am board and have my mind set, that will be another thing to do. geeze, i am my own enemy when i start thinking of what else i can do. though many are wondering why i chose to run a locker over a more forgiving carrier. Well it is that it is hard to break a good locker, and i may choose a super charger later on.  plus I should be too lasey to deal with mechanical work by the time i am all done with it. 

at least you can enjoy your rides driving them. some day i will not be so envious. heheheehehehe!
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2017 at 8:53pm
Well after a bit of thinking, and more searching. Geeze I went through 1000 wheels and there was at least 2 k more on the wheel manufacturer that makes the Rambler wheel.

Though I found an 18 inch wheel I can truely live with. It looks like the 03 Cobra SVT 10th anniversary wheel and has almost the same offset. Though being 10.5" wide, and maximising the tread width to P325, which is a wee over 12.75". Cutting it very close to 7.25" tread edge to spring. Mind you I am not running coil overs. I will have to get on moving my suspension humps and set things properly to measure before ordering. My camber is like 13 degrees as distance to spring is about 1 inch shorter from tilt in.

The blasted wheels only come in silver paint. Right now I don't wanna look at wheels again! I may paint them to what ever looks best for my build.

Here is a photo shopped image to remove most of the lip with using black paint as an outer boarder to make the tire side wall look taller.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/10/2017 at 6:53pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by ghinmi ghinmi wrote:

You may want to revisit your wheel/tire choice.  For autocross, the 9" wheel is waaay too narrow for a 295 or 315.  You would probably be better off with a 275 or even smaller on all 4 corners.

Ah, i just found some info about professional track setups. Once I got into Hoosier tires, there was info on their recommended tires for wheel sizes.

Low and behold p315 is out of the question for 10.5" wide tires. So ghinmi, you are very correct on how a tire and rim setup works on the track. I guess too many weekend warriors, who use their daily driver in competition, are going with street tire setups dictated by oversized mentality and looks on fitment.

Note these tires require break in with 24 hrs cool down to season the tire completely.

Though, I could keep my 17x9" and run these track only tires.

At 24 lbs per rim they will be heavy compared to real race rims. Heck the 18x10.5 rims will weigh about the same, so might as well think big.

All in all these tires are like running race fuel in a lawn mower, for my purposes. Though it would be fun seeing how much a setup car would handle on the track.

Here is a link.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Wheels-Tires/Tires/Hoosier-Racing-Slick-Tires-R80-R100.html
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 2:58pm
I've often used this Falken AZENIS RT615 Tire chart I made to figure out tire dimensions and what would fit.
My '69 Javelin with my updated front suspension now has the 245/45-17 on all 4 corners.
it looks and works great. That said, I may go bigger but I can't go much bigger without altering sheet metal.
So for what I'm doing 17's will suit this car just fine.

That said, I know 71 and later Javelins can fit a massive tire.
Note the only tire that has an O.D. Larger than 26 inches is the 295/40-18.
The only reason to move up to an 18 inch rim is to utilize the two largest sizes, the 295 and 315. If I were doing a 71 or later Javelin I would probably use the 275/40-17 up front and the 315/30-18 out back. I would think that would better balance the car, and have minimal unsprung weight up front. It's interesting that the 275/40-17 is 3.6 pounds lighter than the 315/30-18.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Aug/11/2017 at 3:09pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

I've often used this Falken Tire chart I made to figure out tire dimensions and what would fit.
My '69 Javelin with my updated front suspension now has the 245/45-17 on all 4 corners.
it looks and works great. That said, I may go bigger but I can't go much bigger without altering sheet metal.
So for what I'm doing 17's will suit this car just fine.

That said, I know 71 and later Javelins can fit a massive tire.
Note the only tire that has an O.D. Larger than 26 inches is the 295/40-18.
The only reason to move up to an 18 inch rim is to utilize the two largest sizes, the 295 and 315. If I were doing a 71 or later Javelin I would probably use the 275/40-17 up front and the 315/30-18 out back. I would think that would better balance the car, and have minimal unsprung weight up front. It's interesting that the 275/40-17 is 3.6 pounds lighter than the 315/30-18.

I noticed that with skewed rim sized rears. I have yet to find one set that matches the dish and lip all inclusive to the sizes used. The one I picked for my 18 inch rim choice was just perfect in its symmetry like a 17 or 16 inch rim as for dish and spoke.

The only other option is to stuff... wait for it! 18x12" Shelby Cobra replica rims all around. They are super sweet to me, but way beyond what I need. If I were to build my car strictly for race that I would do.

One thing I will not do is stagger sizes or widths with my rims.

As for 17 inchers, i have a perfect set of 17x9" that I would keep for my own use, but the choices for 17" rims are not as varied as 18" rims.

It's a catch 22 thing. Back when I thought about 9 wide rims, i had no idea how far I would go with my suspension mods, and of recent I am seeing options never thought of.

In a way I don't mind seeing how far I can go, as to if I break it or justify all my work, and show how durable a I think it will be.

On your chart, there are differences with tires with approved rim width. I see guys stretching tires to fit wider rims, and as in my quest to find what is used both In track and street, tires being over sized to the rim requirements.

Maybe it is a height issue they are fudging or looks, or maybe both.

With your chart, i gather I can use a wide tread with one manufacturer but may not be able to with another. Plus being on the track, scuffing or rolling over the wall can come into play, when not checking tire fitment. So, when I look for tires, i will have to check each manufacturers charts to verify which choices I make. It use to be much simpler than that with street tires but once you get sporty, it's different.

Now that I am looking at such large rims, I am finding I am closer to touching on Corvette guys setups. 0 toe out, -2.0 camber and 5 to 7 caster. Though most boys are running close to that as it is. One thing odd is the vetts seem to run larger rims in the rear both in width and diameter. It may work for vetts, but I don't see it happening for my car.

Thanks for the info and chart, still mulling around with ideas.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/11/2017 at 3:31pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic