TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Apparently OEM Dist Gears are "Soft?"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportaboutX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apparently OEM Dist Gears are "Soft?"
    Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 10:29am
Anyone ever heard that the ORIGINAL AMC dist gears are "soft"?? I have heard aftermarket units being called soft, I have seen issues when non matched sets are used, I have seen issues when shimming is improper, or a mix of OEM and bronze, etc aftermarket gears are used. Even seen issues with gears failing due to lack of oil, etc. BUT I have never seen complaints that a properly setup matched OEM set of gears is soft, or in an original stock motor gears wearing due to being  "soft" from the factory. I'm of the opinion that the OEM ones are the most superior, and know many in high HP applications using original gears.

OEM gears are "soft"? http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_35&products_id=33

Remember awhile back when someone in the for sale area offered his lifetime supply of original matched gear sets.....what did it take like a DAY for him to completely sell out....but they are soft so who would want them....Confused

Edited by SportaboutX - Oct/25/2014 at 10:32am
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 10:37am
It should be interpreted as the oe repops are either too soft or too hard. Not oem gears as being 'soft'. The amc oem gears werent just cast iron like some of the repop cam gears. And they werent jardened steel like some of the repopped distributor gears. They were a cast steel in the middle of the hardness scale. Not quite a simple cast iron.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 9:26am
I wiped two distributor gears on my '79 304 within a few days. They were fine when driving normally but when I jumped on it and then backed off suddenly, the gears would strip. It turned out it was from lack of oil where the two gears met which was oiled by a hole in the cam from front to rear. This hole would clog over time and the gears would be left high and dry. I installed an external oil line and life was good after that.

But let me ask you. What would you rather replace, the distributor gear or the cam?

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 7:31pm
We used to offer a hardened set of cam and distributor gears. I can tell you they outlasted every single gear out there when their was a lack of oil...nuff said. The hardened gears we offered 45Rc were overkill for a working system. Now they are 28-32Rc.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 8:53pm
This is a bit confusing, mainly due to the use (or misuse) of the acronym 'OEM' - to me, an original equipment manufacturer would be a supplier directly to AMC, or AMC itself if they made the item, in this case cam & distributor gears. The term certainly does not include modern Chinese or other reproductions.

The implication is that OEM, or AMC, gears are soft, which is not the case.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2014 at 1:53am
The harder gear will destroy the softer gear, but lubrication by the oil needs to break down first and allow metal-metal contact.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2014 at 6:34am
The distributor gear is a little softer than the cam gear. But on the AMC V-8 the cam gear comes off, so you don't ruin either gear if one wears out. It is a lot easier to replace the dizzy gear, but if you have a problem that is causing the dizzy gear to wear out quickly the front of the engine needs to come off anyway! Most of the time the issue is casting flash left in the cam timing gear slots. Make sure those are clear and the extra oiling hole isn't necessary, but doesn't hurt.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic