TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone want to "guess" what my AMX will do the 1/4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone want to "guess" what my AMX will do the 1/4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2009 at 6:48am
Interesting - I run 10w-40, run 25-30 psi idle, and run 70 psi after warmed up on the highway, before that the gauge is above 70, till it warms up a bit............
When I first start the car, OP is way above 60 at about 2,000 rpm.
Guess I haven't lost the touch.............. and shows what a STOCK AMC oiling system can do.
Yes, it's accurate - I had my transmission pressure gauge set on it when I built it.
I recently found out using my GPS device that what I THOUGHT was a sustained drive at 75 was REALLY a sustained drive at more like 83 for those hours......
I almost begin to wonder if my issues are not related to TOO MUCH oil moving about inside. I put the notches in the bearings so it's shooting a lot of oil up at the pistons and cam - however with a tight engine and tight bearings, it's supposed to be less oil being thrown about. (loose bearings can actually increase oil consumption! That's due to oil being thrown from the journals onto the pistons and cylinder walls, more than the "oil control rings" can control. That's a proven fact.)

So where's your time slip????  Curious to see what it REALLY does.  We ALL know how accurate the butt-dyno isn't.
What did you (or your shop) do to the heads besides the normal valve job stuff? Mine DOES suffer drainback issues, but if you saw how much oil that much pressure sends up into the valve covers....

(I figure that since I've got good new tires, well balanced, all new suspension and everything tight and in line now, maybe pmm otta run it down the track............if I can get the carb straightened out before then.)
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2009 at 9:10am

On my cheap build 360 drag motor, no machine work just new main/rod bearings & rings, I have about the same psi as Billd has. I dont take a chance of pumping the pan dry even on a 1/4 mile blast so I run 6 qt. I am running a stock pan too.

Nothing wrong or bad doing an 80-100 blast, my point is after runnig at 70-75 for say3 or 4 miles then run the speed up higher even for 1/2 mile you stand a vary good chance of pumping the pan dry. How long do you think the bearings could live with out oil spinning at say 3000 to4000 rpm?

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2009 at 5:03pm
Timeslip will come after I have the front end aligned...the left front tire screaches when I take slow, around corners ....kinda like when going up a ramp in a parking garage turning...except it does it on the street?  Needs to get an accurate alignment toe, caster and strut rod adjustments THEN when I know its safe I'll take it to the track.  I have until the end of october...but will shoot for the next couple of weeks sometime.  Also noticed a thin film of oil residue/vapor just under the front of the intake on the block surface above the timing cover but below the intake...that could be from the poor fit of the oil fill tube in the intake...but if I run my finger over the smooth block surface in that area there is dark almost carbony oil residue.

Edited by 348AMX - Aug/17/2009 at 5:04pm
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Interesting - I run 10w-40, run 25-30 psi idle, and run 70 psi after warmed up on the highway, before that the gauge is above 70, till it warms up a bit............
When I first start the car, OP is way above 60 at about 2,000 rpm.
Guess I haven't lost the touch.............. and shows what a STOCK AMC oiling system can do.
Yes, it's accurate - I had my transmission pressure gauge set on it when I built it.
I recently found out using my GPS device that what I THOUGHT was a sustained drive at 75 was REALLY a sustained drive at more like 83 for those hours......
I almost begin to wonder if my issues are not related to TOO MUCH oil moving about inside. I put the notches in the bearings so it's shooting a lot of oil up at the pistons and cam - however with a tight engine and tight bearings, it's supposed to be less oil being thrown about. (loose bearings can actually increase oil consumption! That's due to oil being thrown from the journals onto the pistons and cylinder walls, more than the "oil control rings" can control. That's a proven fact.)

So where's your time slip????  Curious to see what it REALLY does.  We ALL know how accurate the butt-dyno isn't.
What did you (or your shop) do to the heads besides the normal valve job stuff? Mine DOES suffer drainback issues, but if you saw how much oil that much pressure sends up into the valve covers....

(I figure that since I've got good new tires, well balanced, all new suspension and everything tight and in line now, maybe pmm otta run it down the track............if I can get the carb straightened out before then.)

They are 68-69 castings..they have the heat passages welded up. Stainless steele swirl polished valves. Harland sharp roller rockers...guess I should have clarified..non stock parts.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

maybe pmm otta run it down the track............if I can get the carb straightened out before then.)

I'd drive it like it were my own.Cool
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 9:49pm
tempting..............
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 10:57pm
Did some tuning tonight...bumped my timing from 10 to 14 degrees initial total timing works out to 35 degrees all by 3000 RPM...it is a bit more aggressive with the extra 4 degrees,  runs good....has one step colder plugs autolite 64's and a rich jetting on the carb so no detonation(audible anyway)..works for me...I'll probably run some race gas when I get there since I have no idea if it is going to ping on the top end full throttle at the end of the 1/4.

But I need an alignement...my eyeball alignment isnt working out for me judging by the tire screaching around corners. It goes straight and does NOT pull, but it could help in the 1/4 if it were right on spec.  Should be interesting...might try NGK plugs too.  If I have time and funds I may get the rear redone with the 3.73's and posi, to compare with my 2.87 runs without changing anything else before the season ends on oct 31st, the open rear is making it really difficult to get an aggressive launch without feathering and then nailing it, even then it spins a bit on the 1 to 2 shift.

Edited by 348AMX - Aug/18/2009 at 10:59pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 11:08pm
Then some real rubber like M/T ET Street
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2009 at 9:08pm
  Well they are 275-60-15's  26" they are WIDE....I think dropping the pressure down from 35PSI to ?, will help a lot make them grip better,, just not sure how low is too low for the rear tire?  I'll keep the front at 35PSI....I experiment with 25 PSI for the rear tire/s I remember it hooked better with 28 PSI so maybe 25 will do it. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2009 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by 348AMX 348AMX wrote:

Well they are 275-60-15's  26" 

That's what's on the barge. Only difference is if you tossed them up to the ceiling they would probably stick there.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic