TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone using an electric cooling fan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

Just think if we converted some of these cars to electric drive we wouldn't have to worry about these overheating problems. 

Dual drive motors in front of the transmission as offered in a kit by EV West ought to do the job and empty the pockets to the tune of about $25000. Another option is to change to independent rear suspension and put the motors at the wheels.
Ever hear of R. G. LeTourneau?

Google him.

Look for the term WHEEL HUB MOTOR.

Edited by Buzzman72 - Apr/18/2019 at 1:25pm
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2019 at 6:28am
Interesting guy for sure.

With a small engine to charge batteries for range extension pretty soon maybe all our cars will be electric. I don't know if they will run into cooling problems on the motors but if so probably easier to solve. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2019 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

Just think if we converted some of these cars to electric drive we wouldn't have to worry about these overheating problems. 

Dual drive motors in front of the transmission as offered in a kit by EV West ought to do the job and empty the pockets to the tune of about $25000. Another option is to change to independent rear suspension and put the motors at the wheels.

Ever hear of R. G. LeTourneau?

Google him.

Look for the term WHEEL HUB MOTOR.

Donno, but the big three Japanese manufacturers had made testing cars on the principle. As of recent, the idea was scapped.

IMO, motors are touchy when it comes to loads. The modern car is versatile in being sporty and a people mover. To put it simple, ever burn up a household hand drill with heavy drilling loads?

Wheel drive motors do not allow for cooling for their compact size and density.

Electric motors need gearing, unless they are to drive at a constant speed and torque range. Like a combustion engine, the electric motor needs timing for optimal drive, and being electric connections any thing out of optimal can cause burnt brushes or over heating.

I dont think wheel hub motors will ever allow for some automatic adjustment to compensate for speed or torque changes to operate well enough for long term reliability.

I dont understand the Formula E concept, much at all. The cars are swapped constantly in the garages, through out the race. Which kinda takes away from one car per race idea, to hide the fact of long charging rate. The motors have a chance to cool down along with electronics being checked, while a second car is out in the field. There is no proof electric cars are durable enough for all out racing with "you race with what you got".

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2019 at 8:48am
I'm a huge huge huge fan of EV's guys... my favorite fun EV to test drive last year was a Ford Focus Hatchback. I enjoyed it far more than I thought and I would've bought it had the range been better. So I very much hope to own an electric car or electric hybrid of some sort in the next few years.... but if we could just keep the conversation in this thread just to cooling fans for our cars... I'd really appreciate it. We've had some really good information being shared here and I'd like to see it keep going. Regardless of that... thank you all for participating! I have really been thinking a lot about the different ways some of you have set up your cooling fans. 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 8:18am
I have heard that the radiator doesn't last in a Dodge truck with the Cummins diesel when the sensor is anchored with that pin that goes through the radiator. Too much vibration.

I got my sensor out of a Honda from the return port that was right beside the outlet of that particular engine. The sensor was quite shallow and after brazing on the nut to the pipe that I put in the lower hose, the sensor was flush with the nut so no restriction at all. I could even slide the spring back in that prevents the hose from collapsing.

Sorry for getting your post side tracked.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 9:39am
A bung can be mounted into the tank of the radiator for a 2 speed thermal switch, much like BMW's are.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2019 at 8:10am
The EV ideas are great to read about, but off topic in this thread. I will start another one... maybe in Frankenrambler??
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 11:14am
New Contour fan thread with some Taurus fan info also:
A couple others have added great additional info.

Using "search" doesn't seem to find it, and at this time it's new enough that Google doesn't find it with "contour fans theamcforum". I usually just add "theamcforum" to any search in Google and get good hits for forum posts.
Frank Swygert
Dustintf522 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dustintf522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2020 at 1:12am
What amps are your alternators at? Im having a pretty bad dip in power when mines on and I come to a light. 
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2020 at 2:21am
They should only draw a few amps once they are running although the charging rate might be low at idle, which won't help. I did upgrade the alternator because I have the fans, electric water pump, efi and electric fuel pump all going at the same time.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic