TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone using an electric cooling fan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Ford Mondeo here, international version of the Contour I suspect.

Champion radiator with fans controlled by the Holley Sniper EFI, unfortunately I only ended up with single speed rather than dual speed fans, otherwise the Sniper could run high and low speed options. I also added a relay so that the fans switch off when the engine is cranking.
The fans you picture, are 2speed fans with 3 wires, I have one of each, a 2 wire sinlge speed on the gremlin, and a new 3 wire 2speed for the Javelin. i don't recall if I bought the plug connectors off ebay or amazon?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 6:45am
Thank you to everyone that posted with advice. I'm going to read more about the Contour fan and the fan controls that were posted. Lots of great info here. I appreciate it.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 8:32am
I'm doing an electric fan conversion right now on my 68 AMX, using the Contour fan, Volvo dual fan relay, and BMW dual temp switch.

Very simple, robust, OEM parts, and you can buy it all new or in a junkyard.

Another thing to note, for some reason I didn't find many Contour/Mystique cars a Pick n Pull. The 1999-2001 Cougar uses the same fans though.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

I'm doing an electric fan conversion right now on my 68 AMX, using the Contour fan, Volvo dual fan relay, and BMW dual temp switch.

Another thing to note, for some reason I didn't find many Contour/Mystique cars a Pick n Pull. The 1999-2001 Cougar uses the same fans though.

Ah, dont know which years your volvo relay is from, but a few VW guys have had issues, with the modules.

Excuse the comment above, as this is a late reply. I was thinking Audi and completly crossed on Volvo with Audi. I do know better... just had a recent swap out of Ford parts with Volvo parts. Maybe that has crossed my wires into my VW setup cooling... which is not compatible with stock setups, and kept from adding or intentionally incorporating it into this thread.

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/16/2019 at 7:05pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 8:51am
As a side note, check out 1999 to 2004 toyota Solara / Camery fans.

They are modular with built in metal square shrouds. They are super duper quiet. I bet many here if standing next to my Solara would say they are not running, when they actually are.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, our Honda fans are loud, for being OEM.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 1:06pm

Another thing to note, for some reason I didn't find many Contour/Mystique cars a Pick n Pull. The 1999-2002 Cougar uses the same fans though.

I'm talking about a simple Volvo dual relay fan controller from the mid 90's. These are pretty much bullet proof, and $10 at Pick-n-Pull.

Grounding yellow wire #1 gives low speed, grounding yellow wire #2 gives high speed. That function is being handled by a BMW Z3 dual temp switch that switches one contact at 195F and another at 210F. An alternate switch with 180F/195F switching points is available too.

The little rubber covered gizmo over to the left is a Short Stop 40A auto reset circuit breaker. The other side of the breaker connects directly to the battery with marine 10 gauge wire.

It's super simple and factory durable. To buy all of the parts new including the zip ties is less than $300 total.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 1:31pm
Ah, okay...

I admit, the Contour fan setup is the go to on factory style radiators. They fit with minor mods and can be setup with simplicity, as long as you dont get your wires crossed.

Also your BMW dual switch was an idea for me as well, though i went another way with 195° and 180° switches. Just a personal preference.

I should know better... you and billd rarely over look details.

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/16/2019 at 7:06pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 6:39pm
People have been doing the Taurus or Contour fans with Volvo relay and BMW switch for a long time from what I can tell. There's a huge thread on it over at NastyZ28.com

You'll find the Volvo relays used all over ebay too, including the connectors.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 6:58pm

People have been doing the Taurus or Contour fans with Volvo relay and BMW switch for a long time from what I can tell. There's a huge thread on it over at NastyZ28.com

You'll find the Volvo relays used all over ebay too, including the connectors.

Geezo, after this reply, my thick skull finally realized I was stuck on my recent Volvo part swap with Ford thinking Audi, as in crossed wires of sorts.

Never mind about my statements of Volvo, and will correct them in my replies.

Blame it on way too many compontents from other makes, its now effecting me in some thing as simple as knowing better.

One thing... in the UK Ford and Volvo share components, like Mondeo may even have that Volvo relay as oem.

Now to correct my previous posts from a major brain fart.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 6:39am
Chris (Greyhounds_AMX), looks like you're using the factory resistor for the low speed. I like the idea of the self-resetting circuit breaker instead of a fuse. Marine is an even better idea since it's mounted low. I'm sure you know this, but there are self-resetting circuit breakers in the auto parts stores along with the fuses, just put them in a protected area.

Just to be clear, the yellow wires will be connected to the temp sensor, and that black wire with the round connector is ground, correct? I like your setup better than what I'm currently running... might change it if I have any issues. Yours is a much neater installation. I would just need to get a lower radiator hose mount for the sensor and do a little re-wiring.

I'm using a pair of adjustable controllers with probes inserted in the radiator. I push the probes in between the core fins. They come with a mount that sort of lays them against the back of the radiator with a small (1/16" or so) gap between radiator and probe. I found that to vary too much with weather, and stuck it in the core instead. I've seen them shrink wrapped to a radiator hose as well. Since they are adjustable mounting the probe is flexible. I think mine is a Flex-A-Lite as they were at a local parts store (and cost more!), but similar to these only just two connectors for the fan (click on only).

Cheap, and have held up since 2003 for me. At least one has, used it with Taurus fan, bought another in 2016 when I went to dual fans due to thicker radiator -- not enough clearance for the Taurus fan any more (http://theamcforum.com/forum/fsj-jeep-radiator-in-rambler_topic76414.html - pics of Taurus and aftermarket fans on AMC radiators). As I mentioned, just wired for high speed, staggered temps. One comes on ~190 (just as T-stat is starting to open), other ~200. I'm using a pair of 40A relays, was just using a single 40A with the Taurus fan. I have read that the Taurus fan pulls as much as an 80A surge when starting, but never had an issue with the 40A relay. I initially ran a used factory 30A, it finally failed after about 5 years use. It was pulled from the wreck I got my initial 4.0L from, a 88 Comanche with over 100K miles on it, so the relay was well used.

Edited by farna - Apr/17/2019 at 6:41am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic