TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone using an electric cooling fan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone using an electric cooling fan?
    Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 8:01am
Anyone using an electric cooling fan? I'm thinking about putting one on my 82 Concord w/ 304 swap.

I've been looking at the Flex-A-Lite BlackMagic fans.... specifically the old school Electra Fan II... for the 5.0 Mooootang. It looks like it would fit the small car radiator size wise... 

Anyway... I'm just wondering what others might be doing! 

Thanks!

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Apr/12/2019 at 8:03am
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 8:06am
I use nothing but electric fans on all my builds. Just like to get all that motion and stress off the motor. I am a Spal guy.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
wcamp70 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wcamp70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 8:18am
I have Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique OEM dual fans on both of my cars. No issues.
70 AMX 360 5speed
68 American 401 200r4 auto
AMO #5013
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 8:26am
Good to know that others are using them.

How do you know when you have the temps for the fans to turn on and off set correctly? 
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 8:56am
I have a Flex-a-lite dual fan setup made for a Jeep CJ on my Rambler.  Fits like it was made for the car.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Phitown Hustler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phitown Hustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 9:30am
The flex a lites are the best IMO and also using the adjustable optional fan control . I run dual fans when space allows
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 1:43pm
I had a Contour setup on mine before I swapped to a GM radiator and they work great. Inexpensive too. Fits a stock or aluminum radiator. Best part is that they're quieter than most aftermarket fans. I use a Flex a light variable speed fan controller so prevent a surge when they come on and not run full speed if not required, but it's not necessary. https://www.amazon.com/Flex-lite-31165-Variable-Control/dp/B000CNN3LS

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 3:15pm
 I've run a single two speed Taurus fan and dual 12" aftermarket fans. I ran the Taurus fan on high only with an inexpensive adjustable probe type controller an 40A relay. Worked fine, but had to drop it when I went to a thicker radiator due to tighter space. Got the twin 12" aftermarket fans and use two adjustable controllers, one set a bit hotter than the other so no big surge. They work fine until stuck in traffic with AC on. After about 5 minutes temp starts going up. Start moving over 35 or so and it stops, but takes 10 15 minutes at 35+ steady for it to start slowly coming down. Don't run AC and no issues at all. 

The fans are Amazon purchases, about $50 each 4-5 years ago. They are supposed to be  1000-1100 cfm, but some of the overseas places rate their fans with nothing in front. If you go aftermarket spend the money on Spal or Flex-A-Lite electric tricks. 

I have a Contour setup that I plan on using,  soon as I get time to put it in. Get the ones for the V6, both fans have 6 blades. Fours have one four blade fan and one 6 blade. Other OEM setups should work, just get more than 4 blades on both and large enough to cover most of the radiator. OEM fans are always better than the mid to low priced aftermarket, and real cheap at a pick-n-pull. The replacement Contour fans are reasonably priced and come with the shroud, much cheaper than high end aftermarket. 

Edited by farna - Apr/12/2019 at 3:28pm
Frank Swygert
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 5:10pm
I used a pair of  11" "Be Cool" electric fans and made my own mounting frame from aluminum that attaches to the core support. Obviously, supporting electric fans from the radiator core is not the best  idea!!

I use a Derale adjustable dual fan controller. I have it set so that the first fan will come on at 195*. If the temp gets up to 210* the second fan comes on. I also have an override switch inside that I can manually turn on both fans if needed.    
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 6:13pm
I run dual contour fans in my 401 Gremlin with A/C, it operates off a suab 2sp thermal switch, mounted in a housing in the upper rad hose. the system uses 3 60-80a relays a 50a and 40a bus fuses. the motors are single speed, wired in series on low, and switches to parallel when high switches on. Running this system flawlessly now for 2 years, fully automated with only the a/c switch to kick on low speed as an over ride.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic