TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone use an MSD 'ready to run'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone use an MSD 'ready to run'
    Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 8:57am
I am about to plunk down a few hundred dollars on one of these, just curious if anyone is using one with a stock tachometer in a '69 Javelin?
I assume as it's a simple 4-wire install all should be OK, but I would sure feel better if someone said, "I have one, easy install and all is good with the stock tach".

So can anyone verify that this is tha case??
Thanks

Edited by 343sharpstick - Mar/26/2012 at 1:37pm
whitelumpy401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitelumpy401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 12:38pm
Have put some in cust engines work just fine i run the pro billet with a crank trigger and a  digital 7 box msd makes a good product come swith complete instruction for changing springs for the mech advance
whitelumpy401
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 2:57pm

I run the MSD distributor and their 6AL-2 box. I use the biggest bushings & weakest springs without a vacuum advance, that gets all 35* in by 2500 RPM. The 6AL-2 box allows two rev limiters to be set independently, I use one for launching and the other for over rev protection. To use you're factory tach you'll need the MSD #8920 tach adapt. With those components You'll be fine, just make sure you follow their instructions to a T, and if you're car sits idle for long periods be sure to get the battery fully charged before attempting to fire it up. 

SKeown
DesertAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 11:34pm
I have been using a MSD Ready to Run on my 69 390 with the stock tach for a couple of years now.  The Ready to Run likes to see full 12 volts.  I use the resistor wire from the Ign. switch that normally goes to the coil to control a 12V relay. The relay provides battery power in series though the Tach to the (+) side coil and MSD distributor.  This is not much different as the orginal configuration,  just with the relay. I used a standard Bosch style 30A relay.  You will like the adjustability of the MSD tach for setting up your advance.
69 BBG AMX

69 BBO Javelin Project

Cactus Cruisers AMC
DesertAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 11:40pm
Following up with Skeown, out of the box, the Ready to Run does not need a 6AL box, but it can be added.  If you do use the box you will need the tach adapter.  As shipped the advance is very slow and you will have to use the lighter springs to make the car fun to drive.
69 BBG AMX

69 BBO Javelin Project

Cactus Cruisers AMC
70 Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 9:11am
Thanks for posting this question ! This is exactly what I need...... The MSD rtr has been installed, the factory tach has not been hooked up, the distributor connection is direct to the battery with switch and the car is sluggish above 2,000 rpm.

Thanks, I needed that !

1970 Javelin SST 390
70 Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 9:50am
DesertAMX: Could you post a picture of your installation? Wink

Thanks-
1970 Javelin SST 390
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by DesertAMX DesertAMX wrote:

I have been using a MSD Ready to Run on my 69 390 with the stock tach for a couple of years now.  The Ready to Run likes to see full 12 volts.  I use the resistor wire from the Ign. switch that normally goes to the coil to control a 12V relay. The relay provides battery power in series though the Tach to the (+) side coil and MSD distributor.  This is not much different as the orginal configuration,  just with the relay. I used a standard Bosch style 30A relay.  You will like the adjustability of the MSD tach for setting up your advance.

This is great information!
Looking at the TSM wiring Diagram, so to verify: You have connected the yellow wire that runs from the (-) on the tach to the 12V relay, then from the relay to the (+) side of the coil. In addition to that, the MSD Red wire is also connected to the (+) side of the coil. Correct?

Also, is this the type of relay your using?

Edited by 343sharpstick - Mar/27/2012 at 2:31pm
DesertAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 11:42pm
Yes, that is the type of relay.   I use the stock Tach harness. The blue wire of the harness connects to the switched output of the relay and the yellow goes the (+) side of the coil.   The relay is mounted under the voltage regulator and is fed from the battery side of the solonoid through a 20A fuse.
Here are a couple of pictures.
69 BBG AMX

69 BBO Javelin Project

Cactus Cruisers AMC
DesertAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 12:02am
Here is a quick sketch of my wiring.
69 BBG AMX

69 BBO Javelin Project

Cactus Cruisers AMC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic