TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone stitch their own UPHOLSTERY?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone stitch their own UPHOLSTERY?
    Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 6:44pm
Just wondering if there are any of you that do, or have done upholstery work.

Income tax return just showed up, and I've got two things on the purchase list:

Ammo reloading equipment
A Juki, or Singer Industrial machine.

After pricing some interior work here locally, I've decided I'm doing my own bench seat.  Should be a good way to get started.

If anyone has some upholstery experience, and can give me some pointers on what I'll want/need in a machine I'D APPRECIATE YOUR OPINIONS!
JavelinRob View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 7:03pm
buy new seat cover 's americanparts depot sells some very reasonable replacement covers and so does keenedy american , unless you have experience thats the way to go
1970 sst 421 shivvy
1970 amx 390 4spd go pack
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 7:11pm
They all get the interior stuff from Legendary.....may be better off going to them.   They SUCK at customer service though.  They talk a good game but that what it is...talk!!   I had planned on installing the covers myself but it looks easier than it is.....I had them done at a seat shop and they came out great.   
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Rocknthehawk View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocknthehawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 7:16pm
I work as an upholsterer. I own a Juki i got through some trading. A women I met after doing a sofa for had a Chandler she used for drapes. She really liked my girlfriend and I, and offered it to us for free. It happened to be a match to a machine at work, so my boss traded me the Juki for it. Can't complain....

what is a shop quoting you? the previous owner of my car said it was $600 to have both benches in my car done. a used quality machine will run you over $1000 easily.

smoke View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 7:57pm
$500 for the bench of a 1964 Chevrolet C10.
That's painting the frame, new foam, and a cover made from 60% black marine canvas that he would provide, and 40% indian blanket that I would provide.  I wanted a simple inset of indian blanket to mimick that of stock, only brighter, and well Mexican indian blanket.  This seat needs NO spring work done.

My 68 Javelin was quoted at $1400 for the stock front lowback buckets, and rear bench.  This is not of stock material, but, again a black marine grade cotton canvas that would resemble Carhartt duck denim.  $35 yd.  That's all new foam, and going over the springs in the front buckets.  I'm sure they could use it. 

I'm not asking for anything highly custom on any of this work.  No crazy bolstering, or intricate pattern work.

This price was within $25 at all 4 shops I called.  One of them is an acquaintence of mine, and was the cheapest.  Still $1900 for the work seems a little high to me.  I understand regional labor costs in Washington are ridiculous, and I don't want to tread on anyones toes as an upholstery person.  Please understand my viewpoint.

A used quality Juki or Singer Industrial runs from $400 - $1000 on Ebay.  Even at $1000 I'm left with over $900 worth of material to screw up on.  The foam kit for the 64 Chevy C10 bench is $100 through LMC truck.  That knocks me down to $800 worth of material.

I'm constantly interested in bringing all matters of automotive restoration/modification in house.  Upholstery is a remaining frontier that I feel could be conquered.  I'm sure it isn't as simple as sewing in Home-Economics class in High School, but,  if nothing else the machine, and the practice will put me much closer to automotive restoration self reliance.

Some of my friends laughed when I bought my Ben Pearson tubing bender.  I thought $800-$1000 for a quality exhaust job was a bit high.  I bucked up, got a good machine that made me more self reliant, and have made myself a better enthusiast.  We did Dad's AMX with 14ga aluminized, and Super 44 Flowmasters.  It was $300 in material, and I know EXACTLY what is under that car.  The quality is better than I would've got outsourcing it.  Now my friends can PAY ME $1000 to do their exhaust.  Big smile

Edited by smoke - Apr/10/2011 at 8:02pm
Rocknthehawk View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocknthehawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 11:11pm
I understand the sticker shock, I hear it regularly. Sounds like a fair price.

If you're set on doing it yourself-and I can't blame you, you can't go wrong with a nice Juki. I have an industrial setup, it'll go through multiple layers of leather no problem. But you wouldn't need something quite so heavy duty.
smoke View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 12:02am
^I'd like to hear your opinions on the machine, and if you have anything that you could recomend for a purchaser.  Have you found anything lacking on your machine that you would change on your next purchase?  What are some of the must have features? 

I'm wanting to do typical automotive interiors, but, can also see it being used for heavy Nylon webbing, some heavy gauge leather, and other things.  I could easily see myself getting into making my own tow straps, trailer tie downs, custom seat belts, maybe even leather gun holsters, and leather gun belts. 

I don't really mind spending a little over $1000 on this machine if it will be able to do everything I want it to.  If it is complete overkill, I am ok with that.  I'd rather have it able to do something with ease, and be wasting it's potential than wishing I had spent a few hundred more the first time.

I'm having a hard time considering buying a Juki.  I know they are phenomenal from the ones I've seen working, and the one I got to play with.  I'm just a die-hard "Buy American" kind of guy, and would have a hard time NOT buying a Singer.  I'd imagine it doesn't matter much nowadays as the motors are probably all Japanese anyways.
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 7:05pm
I have and old and I do mean old singer treadle machine with an electric conversion on it that works fantastic. Just had to buy thicker needles . And for real tuff stuff I have a Husqvarna 2000.

Edited by toolmanxiii - Apr/14/2011 at 11:00am
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
70MarkDonohue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70MarkDonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 8:37pm
I wish I could have done it my self. The guy I used wasted my green cordury it was from two different die lots. I told him and showed him. And he still screwed it up and he had the cords crooked.Thumbs Down
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic