TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone running the Comp Cams 292?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2016 at 10:56pm
It'll be fine, I have no issues with powe brakes. Vac guage reads 9-11" @900 rpm. I would agree this cam likes alot of carb and initial advance, once tuned tho its very streetable.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2016 at 11:05am
9-11" vacuum isn't really enough for a booster to work properly. I'm in that range and added a vacuum canister to give a bit of extra reserve.

It's ok for basic street use, but for better braking consistency, manual brakes, a vacuum pump or hydraulic boost are a better plan with a low vacuum cam ... or run a smaller cam.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

9-11" vacuum isn't really enough for a booster to work properly. I'm in that range and added a vacuum canister to give a bit of extra reserve.

It's ok for basic street use, but for better braking consistency, manual brakes, a vacuum pump or hydraulic boost are a better plan with a low vacuum cam ... or run a smaller cam.
I only know one person who had that cam, and it was an 8.5 cr 350 Nova with auto, and not much gear. It was a dog off idle. I would think that you need at least 10:1 compression, a 3,000 rpm converter, or a 4 speed with at least 3.91 gears, a set of headers, low restriction exhaust, a high rpm intake, and a big carburetor.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2016 at 5:00am
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

What cam are you running RD?

Just curious Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2016 at 8:34am
I'm running a Bullet roller. It degreed 283/285@0.020, 251/249@0.050",109LSA/105ICL, 0.616"/624" gross lift w/ 1.6. Spec'd for peak hp@6000rpm +/-. It has 10-11 in.Hg @ 850rpm idle. Noticeably reduced brake boost vs. the 224/234 hydraulic that was in it before. A vacuum canister helped.

A stick is much more forgiving of too much cam, but with the rear gearing needed for a big cam, really wants OD if you're looking for reasonable rpm cruising. I'm running a T56 and it's a much better combo than with a 727 auto w/ high stall.

If the OP has a 292 Comp, by testament of others it is streetable with the right gearing and a stick or high-stall auto. If considering a new build, there are better options out there both for street and strip. If you don't mind adjusting lash, a solid would be a better choice for a bigger cam.

You can crutch the < 5500 rpm performance of cam that is a bit big for street by running a small-runner intake like an AirGap or ProFlo, small headers and higher ratio rockers (if your heads flow at the higher lift) ... like Jtsllc1 found in his tests. It will boost cylinder fill at lower rpms to boost torque, but give up some top end. A smaller cam would generally be a better plan for a true street car. I have an AirGap on mine to help the street manners.

Original plan 10 years ago was to hit the strip and track, but life got in the way and never got there, so plan to detune with a smaller cam to make it a better street car.

More info than you were after, but hope those considering a Comp 292 are realistic in their goals and build ... a 280 or similar would generally be a better performing street choice than a 292.

Hope this helps,RD.
Dusty_CJ7 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty_CJ7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2016 at 5:21pm
Thanks for all of the info guys! 
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2016 at 9:01am
On my set up the power brakes were inconsistent so I upgraded the brake set up to manual brakes. Road racing is brutal on vac assisted brakes.
cw05 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2016 at 9:06pm
Are those that run the Comp 292H using vacuum advance or not?  My builder built my 401 with this cam and recommends no vacuum advance.  Vehicle is a Jeep CJ-7, 4.11 gears with manual trans and 32" tall tires, Performer intake, stock free-flow cast manifolds, 9.5:1 compression, stock iron heads [I believe 090's].   I plan to use Jeep 80% on the street as daily driver, etc. and ~ 20% off-road in slow idle situations.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2016 at 9:25pm
Just my opinion the cam is to radical of slow driving such as 4wheeling....i`ve run the cam and i`ve been 4 wheeling since the 80`s...That cam does`t turn on until 3,000+ rpm...there are much better choices out there
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
cw05 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2016 at 9:45pm
I agree.  The Jeep and motor are back with the builder and I'm trying to convince him to swap it out to something milder.  He thinks that he can make the 292H work for my needs but I remain unconvinced.  I have a custom Howard's cam that I think will work better for my needs:
P/N 319991 VALVE LIFT INT. .5312
GRIND HYDRAULIC VALVE LIFT EXH. .5312
ENG AMC V8 INT OPEN 29.5
ROCKER RATIO INT. 1.6 INT CLOSE 53.5
ROCKER RATIO EXH. 1.6 EXH OPEN 63.5
CAM LIFT INT. .3320 EXH CLOSE 19.5
CAM LIFT EXH. .3320 OVERLAP 49
L/C 107 INT PHASE 102
ADV OR RETARD 5 ANGLE or LC
INT. DUR 263
EXH. DUR 263 EXH PHASE 112
INT. DUR @ .050 216 ANGLE or LC