TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any way to tell where my car was originally sold?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Any way to tell where my car was originally sold?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWI Flying Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any way to tell where my car was originally sold?
    Posted: Oct/29/2009 at 7:10pm
Is there any way to track the VIN on my car and see where it was sold when new? 
matt167 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2009 at 7:14pm
build sheet or original owners manual, would have the dealer listed in the warranty section. doubt any of the original documentation AMC had is still around, but a slim chance Mopar might have somthing
WWI Flying Ace View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWI Flying Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2009 at 11:55pm

Too bad.  Pulled the car out of a junk yard many years ago.  Never got any of the original documentation with it.   I guess it is lost to posterity.  :(

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2009 at 4:07am
Depending on your states DMV, you could do a title search to track down your cars previous owners. It can become costly and it will become all time consuming but it still could be done...
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2009 at 5:46am
Guess I was lucky - I have the original bill of sale, owner card, and a copy of every title the car has ever had.
Can pretty well track down the Eagles, too.
Never stopped to think - gee, that's got to be fairly rare today with all that's happened to AMC and Mama Chrysler.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2009 at 9:53am
I did a title search on my last AMX in 1989 but Ohio could only go back 10 years. It did uncover some interesting history, it had been reposessed, auctioned then donated to Goodwill Industries.

I'm thinking that you can no longer search titles in most states due to privacy concerns.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2009 at 12:23pm
I am pretty lucky, I have two Ramblers, one soon to be driver the other a parts car. Both have original license plates frames on them.  What sucks is both of them only have one nice frame, both cars have only a portion of the front frame. Angry

One is Westerterp in Petaluma Ca, the other is ....um...crap I forget the name, it was in Redwood City Ca.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2009 at 7:17pm
I just know that my Gremlin has been in IL for a long time.  My AMX is from indiana,(I bought it there)........and the 82 spirit is from WI. and yes, I bought it there. the spirit is from wisconsin, (Papers I have said so)..................
dragrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2009 at 8:44pm
hey martinsr did you grow up i san fran. if so do you remember dialing for dollars.
68 american turbo I6            
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2009 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by dragrambler dragrambler wrote:

hey martinsr did you grow up i san fran. if so do you remember dialing for dollars.

Oh yes  and yes I do!

Brian 
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic