TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Any reliability issues with specific models

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any reliability issues with specific models
    Posted: Jan/23/2015 at 2:38pm
I have decided that the availability of Eagle Limited wagons locally is so small that I am giving up trying to find one. So I am turning to the Jeep. I have looked at the Cherokee Limited and others with all powers from 1997 to 2006. Are there any Cherokees that I should stay away from?

Thanks!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2015 at 3:35pm
Hey Mr.Ed,

That is a bummer, because we have a few of them available around here....

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4807300439.html

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/4814626897.html

http://decatur.craigslist.org/cto/4789791615.html
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2015 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

I have decided that the availability of Eagle Limited wagons locally is so small that I am giving up trying to find one. So I am turning to the Jeep. I have looked at the Cherokee Limited and others with all powers from 1997 to 2006. Are there any Cherokees that I should stay away from?

Thanks!
Mr. Ed

Hey Mr. Ed 

If you are talking about the little XJ Cherokee, there all good!!

No really, in the years you are looking at the only thing that I personally would stay away from are the ones with air bags in the steering wheel, but that’s just me. The older ABS brake systems were junk but I think you are looking at new enough Jeeps that you don't have to worry about that, but there is an upgrade for that too if it becomes an issue with the one you purchase. The OE radiators are aluminum/plastic, but there are all brass ones available for a very reasonable price. Also stay away from ones that have been wheeled hard for obvious reasons.      

I have had a number of XJ Cherokees and currently have a 91. They are good vehicles, will go anywhere, and easy to work on. There are a ton of aftermarket parts and upgrades available for the XJ too. For instance the steering tie rods and drag link are kind of a weak point, even with stock size tires on street driven XJ’s. If they are worn out you will get the (well known to the Jeep world) “death wobble”. (NOT FUN!) There are several expensive aftermarket steering kits and components available, but there is also a less expensive (bolt on) upgrade alternative. Just install the tie rod ends and drag link pieces made for the bigger Grand Cherokee with a V8. These are heavier, beefier steering components but they bolt right on in place of the stock XJ steering parts. If you have to replace the tie rods anyway it’s a perfect time to upgrade the steering to something better and that will last longer too? I’ve done this to several XJ’s and it makes a world of difference!      

Just my 2 cents!

Dennis

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Pyro6 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pyro6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2015 at 9:01pm
I think you're right. I stumbled on my 84 and as the years tick away, surprisingly more people share the enjoyment. I think more people are realizing how rare these cars are. 
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2015 at 9:47am
Originally posted by 83GT 83GT wrote:

Hey Mr.Ed,

That is a bummer, because we have a few of them available around here....

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4807300439.html

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/4814626897.html

http://decatur.craigslist.org/cto/4789791615.html

I was thinking about expanding my search area but the shipping then becomes a major factor. And as Murphy's Law prdeicts, as soon as I find something, dozens of Eagles will become available in my immediate area.

Thanks!
Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2015 at 9:50am
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

Thanks!
Mr. Ed

Hey Mr. Ed 

If you are talking about the little XJ Cherokee, there all good!!

No really, in the years you are looking at the only thing that I personally would stay away from are the ones with air bags in the steering wheel, but that’s just me. The older ABS brake systems were junk but I think you are looking at new enough Jeeps that you don't have to worry about that, but there is an upgrade for that too if it becomes an issue with the one you purchase. The OE radiators are aluminum/plastic, but there are all brass ones available for a very reasonable price. Also stay away from ones that have been wheeled hard for obvious reasons.      

I have had a number of XJ Cherokees and currently have a 91. They are good vehicles, will go anywhere, and easy to work on. There are a ton of aftermarket parts and upgrades available for the XJ too. For instance the steering tie rods and drag link are kind of a weak point, even with stock size tires on street driven XJ’s. If they are worn out you will get the (well known to the Jeep world) “death wobble”. (NOT FUN!) There are several expensive aftermarket steering kits and components available, but there is also a less expensive (bolt on) upgrade alternative. Just install the tie rod ends and drag link pieces made for the bigger Grand Cherokee with a V8. These are heavier, beefier steering components but they bolt right on in place of the stock XJ steering parts. If you have to replace the tie rods anyway it’s a perfect time to upgrade the steering to something better and that will last longer too? I’ve done this to several XJ’s and it makes a world of difference!      

Just my 2 cents!

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I hadn't thought about the XJ. Another model to look at. There are a ton of Jeeps around here in my price range. But since I just started to think about a Jeep, I will have to go through all of the offerings to find the right on.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2015 at 11:11pm
We have a 97 Cherokee Country we bought new. It has 140K now which isn't much compared to a lot of them. We replaced a pretty beat 88 with 150K with this one and I have to say I liked the 88 better. The interior felt much better put together with much more sound deadening with less road and driveline noise. The 97 feels much cheaper, a lot of plastic, more engine noise and it's had a driveline vibration since new which the dealer said was because of a different tail shaft and shorter driveshaft. I guess the slip yoke eliminator kits are supposed to help. I also liked the 88s unlocking front axle too.

The 97 does run better with the newer EFI and has been overall reliable. I have had to replace the timing chain at 87K, water pump, radiator, drivers PW motor, stereo, ball joints, front hubs, and both front axle u-joints and probably four exhaust systems and now the header is cracked.

But when it comes down to it, I don't know what I would replace it with. I still love the styling, the AMC six, it's a perfect size for us and it weighs 1,000 pounds less than anything available now and will go through anything until the snow is over the rockers.

By comparison, my 93 MB with 187K has most of the original exhaust yet and still feels like new
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 8:40am
Thanks for the input.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 12:59pm
there's a 88 Cherokee Wagoneer in the AMC section on EBay that's got me drooling! The interior is beautiful same color as our's was
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2015 at 7:08am
For those that might have missed my other post, I did find a great WK a few miles from me. A 2006 that I call Herman. It has 108,xxx miles on it and although it is dirty inside with more than it's share of dog hair, it runs pretty good. It had engine indicator issues (that didn't show up until after my test drive) so I took it to my mechanic who referred me to a transmission shop who couldn't come up with any computer codes even though he used two readers so in to the Jeep store it went. They came up with two codes that had nothing to do with the problems I was experiencing so they "flashed" the computer and so far it has run flawlessly with one exception. Last Friday I pulled Herman out of the driveway to go to "breakfast with the boys" and when I put it in drive I heard a very mild clunk and the PRND indicator had all letters bracketed and it wouldn't shift out of first. I put it in N and back into D and all was good. I didn't get the engine icon nor did anything light up on the dash. I replaced the front air dam and pushed the passenger side bumper back into position. Looks like the girl who had it before me snagged the bumper backing up. Now the front is perfect. And I love my Jeep. It only gets 12 MPG but but that is to be expected for this era Jeep.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic