TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any Lunati VooDoo cams out there? Opinions, vids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Any Lunati VooDoo cams out there? Opinions, vids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Lunati VooDoo cams out there? Opinions, vids
    Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 7:48am
Does anyone run a Lunati VooDoo cam, and if so, what do you think? It'd be nice to know what drivetrain/exhaust setup you're using with it as well, and please, please, please, post some video of it idling and revving.

I've got the little Edelbrock cam in my 390 right now, and I'd like a more agressive idle and a bit more power.

It's nice to see off the shelf 0.904 lifter cams finally available to us. I've always thought highly of Harold and UltraDyne, knowing that he designed the Voodoo gives me a warm fuzzy.

Thanks!
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 8:02am
Here's a 1969 AMX with 390, Lunati Voodoo 10100703LK, 2 1/2" Spintech Sportsmans with an x-pipe

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 9:28am
NICE!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 1:42pm
1969 AMX with Comp XE262 cam (similar to the Voodoo 262, but on 110 LCA). Stock engine except for roller rockers and better valve springs, unknown mufflers and 2" dual exhaust with no crossover.

Owner did complain of valvetrain noise.

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Aug/29/2014 at 9:05pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 3:19pm
Love the greyhound avatar.   We've had a couple ex-racers and have a greyhound/wolfhound cross right now.   
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 3:55pm
Got a Lunati Voodoo in the 390, it's not running yet. I can tell you that Lunati stands behind the parts. First cam arrived and was not straight by just a few thousandths of an inch, enough to cause rotation binding. Called them and they shipped out a replacement immediately. The two cams crossed each others path in shipping. Replacement cam was spot on correct.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 4:20pm
I was reading the stats on the 10100704 Voodoo cam and the advertised duration is 276/284 and the @ .050 lift duration is 234/242. By comparison, the Edelbrock RPM cam (#7132) is 310/320 advertised duration and 234/244 @ .050 duration.

The @ .050 duration is almost the same, but the advertised duration on the Voodoo cam is significantly smaller. That is a sign of aggressive cam design, and assymetrical lobe design if memory serves. That's the "more area under the curve" that they refer to. In other words, the voodoo cam is a cutting edge lobe profile compared to the Edelbrock cam. It's almost like a solid cam profile in the raw numbers. 

I have the 7132 cam and ran it for about a year before going to the solid lift cam. It was VERY stout and I have considered going back to it if I pull this motor for any reason. But I'm really liking the profile of the 10100704 Voodoo cam, so I would very likely consider it. 

Unlike the Comp Thumper series, it's not about about "the sound" but I think the Voodoo cams are an attempt at REAL performance. FYI, I believe Harold Brookshire has contributed to some of the cam designs of both Comp AND Lunati over the years.

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by RamblinMan RamblinMan wrote:

I was reading the stats on the <span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb248, 248, 252;">10100704 Voodoo cam and the advertised duration is 276/284 and the @ .050 lift duration is 234/242. By comparison, the Edelbrock RPM cam (#7132) is 310/320 advertised duration and 234/244 @ .050 duration.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb248, 248, 252;">The @ .050 duration is almost the same, but the advertised duration on the Voodoo cam is significantly smaller. That is a sign of aggressive cam design, and assymetrical lobe design if memory serves. That's the "more area under the curve" that they refer to. In other words, the voodoo cam is a cutting edge lobe profile compared to the Edelbrock cam. It's almost like a solid cam profile in the raw numbers. </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb248, 248, 252;">I have the 7132 cam and ran it for about a year before going to the solid lift cam. It was VERY stout and I have considered going back to it if I pull this motor for any reason. But I'm really liking the profile of the 10100704 Voodoo cam, so I would very likely consider it.</span><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 1.4; : rgb248, 248, 252;"> </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 1.4; : rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
Unlike the Comp Thumper series, it's not about about "the sound" but I think the Voodoo cams are an attempt at REAL performance. FYI, I believe Harold Brookshire has contributed to some of the cam designs of both Comp AND Lunati over the years.

Harold designed the Comp High Energy (not sure about the Magnums) and Lunati Voodoo cams, as well as a bunch of Ultradynes that you can still get from Bullet.

The assymetric lobe is merely a different shape on each side of the peak of the lobe. It is usually done to open the valve quickly, yet set it down more gently. If you have an aggressive opening ramp, and close the valve just as quickly, your valvetrain could lead a short, hard life.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Aug/29/2014 at 5:19pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 9:12pm
The VooDoo cams are supposed to run a little quieter valvetrain wise than the Comp XE, and build a little more power as they have more duration at 0.200". I really like that the AMC VooDoo grinds are 0.904" lifter specific, and more agressive than the SBC VooDoo cams can be.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 12:02am
Get you a Engel cam , never had problems with them always sound nice 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic