TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Another window question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2javman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another window question?
    Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 10:55pm
Going thru my 70 javelin and fixing some things I've been wanting to address. I restored/pro streeted the car some 20 years ago and reglued my windows to their holders with no problems, however, the door windows have always leaned out about 1/4 inch or so at the top at highway speeds when rolled all the way up and can be physically pushed out even with new outer door rubber. I was told that's just how they were then but now I'm wondering if I don't have something worn out inside. So is this normal on these cars or do I need to dig in to them again? 
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 7:37am
Without seeing the car, it is hard to access the problem. I will suggest making sure the window adjustments in the door are adjusted properly. Is the window going all the way up and locking against the rubber weatherstrip ( yes, my 70 Javelin glass will push out at speeds above 30 mph if the glass is not "all" the way up). The glass needs to have a little pressure against the rubber weatherstrip. In other words if the glass is barely touching the weatherstrip it is not tight. The adjustment of the glass needs to be tight against the rubber horizontally and vertically. Sooooooo, two different adjustments. 
Adjust the glass so the top of the glass shuts against the weather strip ( glass is up on door and then door is shut).
 On my car, if the glass is all the way up when I shut the door, I must be careful as the glass does not always seal against the weather strip exactly into the grove of the rubber. I need to close the door with two hands. I push slightly on the door glass while I am shutting the door with the other hand. I can take the time to complete a better door adjustment, but I very rarely have the glass up in my car and close the door from the outside. Always going to car shows with the windows down. 
The second thing I notice on my car is that I must put my windows up (so that the glass will sit in the grove of the rubber) when I am sitting still and going under 20 mph. If I try to roll up the window going above 25 mph the wind will pull the glass out slightly and then the glass will not lock into the grove of the rubber weatherstrip. I will be driving and notice the glass is not sitting in the pocket of the grove of the weather strip and the glass is vibrating slightly in the wind, so I must slow down or stop and the roll the window up making sure it locks into the grove of the rubber. 

Again all of this is window placement adjustments. I could take the time to make my glass fit a little better ( adjustments in the door for the glass) but, most of the time the windows are always down on my car unless I catch some rain at a show or the rare time that I drive the car when it's cold out.

Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

2javman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2javman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 8:33am
Okay thanks. That's sounds exactly like the issue I've noticed with mine. Maybe I will mess with it some, but I don't think I will loose too much sleep over it
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 9:14am
I don't know that car at all, but hardtop doors of that era you can just about adjust the windows upside down they move so much. Adjustment is a BIG part of installing them, you don't just throw them in like a framed window on a modern car. They have stops that limit travel, you can move the tracks at the top to adjust the glass in and out at the bottom, move the tracks at the bottom to swing the glass in or out at the top, you can move it all over.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 11:08am
Is the 70 door tracks the same as a 69 I just had my 69 all part
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic