TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

another timing set question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another timing set question
    Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 9:52am
In looking on various ads of people who sell the aftermarket timing sets... a few say that the set they are selling has a 3/4 inch wide chain...Is that better and will everything line up properly if this slightly different width one is used...There is a manufacturer in Illinois SA Gear who has 2 offerings and they are made here in the USA...Has anyone tried theirs...Im still hoping to find the one gear that I have a wanted ad here on the Forum seeking...But probably need to have a back up in place...I need to get this car back together and try and make the last local show of the year in October....Thanks   Bob
Thankyou....Bob
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 5:09pm
Other then Roll master, the only set I never had to mess with, was from Edelbrock.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 5:30pm
Bob....every SA Gear cam sprocket I have bought in the last 5 years had the oil groove wrong and I had to machine.  I think the very expensive Rollmaster is the only one out of the box that has not had issues.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 6:38pm
The Roll Master set I purchased a year ago was in a Crane box with Roll Master stamped on the gear and had the Torrington bearing attached. $180.00   The slinger slot was cut right on the oil passage at the 6 o'clock position and had multiple grooves. I brazed them up. I also cut the cam side feed slot deeper. I have pictures if wanted.  ( not throwing mud, just sharing my info.)  I like their parts.
       Recently( 4-5 months ago) it was posted on FB that Roll Master was contacted about this and they were going back to the 2 shallow slinger slot design that they use to have.  So you would want to inspect the set you purchase.
Jerry
pwrslide View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrslide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 11:45am
The "silent" or nylon timing gear is simply built in obsolescence designed to keep the dealers service and parts business busy. I only use Rollmaster or in some cases old Cloyes rollers and just replace the chain which is available separately.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

Bob....every SA Gear cam sprocket I have bought in the last 5 years had the oil groove wrong and I had to machine.  I think the very expensive Rollmaster is the only one out of the box that has not had issues.

The transition slot inside the bolt hole was bad, or the notch on the backside was located wrong?

The SA Gear Timing Chain I bought earlier this year had the rear notch perfectly lined up with the (Howards) Cam I bought at the same time.
The transfer slot inside the bolt hole was OK, just very poorly finished.
After I cleaned up the transfer slot I wondered if they left it rough to minimise the flow of oil.

^I know that sounds dumb, but a restricted transfer slot would limit some of the oil flow that is considered too high with all the front slots.

Might even be a better idea to braze that transfer slot closed and re-slot it smaller to let that limit the "leak" out of the front of the sprocket like a metering jet,
instead of reducing the number of front slots down to just one.

^Worth thinking about anyway.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic