TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Another guest the hp thread?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattsGarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another guest the hp thread?
    Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 3:41pm
So my engine/car may never see a dyno, and I enjoy the discussion on this subject probably more than anything. Here goes:

401 @ .030 over
10.3 compression
Stock crank/rods 
Edelbrock heads with only slight cleanup/performance valve job
Heads and deck both had .004 taken off to true up
.047 quench.
Solid flat tappet, 254/260 @.050 .587/.592 lift 108 lsa
Scorpion roller rockers 1.6
Torker intake/quick fuel 850 carb. 
1 3/4 headers

It also has a sticker on one valve cover that reads "this sticker adds 5 hp"
So please figure this in with your guesses Wink
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 4:25pm
I helped a guy with a similar combination, he made 440 ish with an air gap and Edelbrock.  Just over 500 with a torker and QF Holley.  Your solid lifter cam is probably good for another 20 or 30 HP.  So my guess is somewhere around 540 HP.

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 8:05pm
IMO there is a need for more compression with that cam.

If there is no heat stove and 12:1 I would side with 500+

Gremlin Dreams
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 8:08pm
Suggestion  - someone start a pool and anyone who wants in pays a buck, and submits their best calculation and estimate. When the engine is finally on a dyno - the person who hits the correct HP as per the dyno sheets wins the pot.

Well......... why not? LOL. We've got some folks who really do a good job figuring this sort of thing based on their experiences and their own trials. They may as well get a few bucks? 
No? Bad idea? Ok.
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 8:56pm
I had a very similar engine.  Same cubes, intake, etc.  Have a very similar cam and ported iron heads that flowed low 270s.  Major difference was mine had crappy Edelbrock headers.  Made 499 but hit a brick wall, should have made more.  Later switched to long tube headers and it picked up a bunch at the track so that was the rpm issue on the dyno.

Edited by ghinmi - Jun/24/2019 at 8:59pm
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
MattsGarage View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattsGarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 4:31pm
Thanks for the input guys. It might get put on a chassis dyno at some point, but not anytime soon, I have a lot to finish up on the rest of the car. Maybe someday we will get to see.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic