TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Another Fluid Leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Fluid Leak
    Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 4:35pm
About 3 weeks ago, the Javelin developed a transmission fluid leak around the pan, and the shop replaced the pan gasket. Drove the Javelin 2-3 times with no leaks.
Today, decided to get the Javelin out for a drive and when I moved the car, this is what I found.
Another puddle of transmission fluid?
But, this time, the pan area seems to be completely dry?
This time the fluid is coming from an area on the left underside, basically directly under the driver's seat area.
I noticed that the fluid is dripping from the bracket area below that I have circled in white.
You can see a drop of fluid starting to form in the below photos.
I would appreciate any advice or feedback on where this new leak is probably coming from:
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 4:44pm
Speedometer cable? Vacuum modulator?? Shift linkage??
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 4:48pm
    I've seen that same leak and it turned out that the speedo cable was installed incorrectly along with the wrong O-ring.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Speedometer cable? Vacuum modulator?? Shift linkage??

Mike, Sounds like the leak could be from several areas.
My first thought was speedometer cable issue.
Thanks.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 11:55pm
I would be looking at the speedometer cable, or the shift shaft seal.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 12:12am
The thing I cannot figure out is why it takes several days for the leak to start?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 1:39am
Originally posted by dltowers dltowers wrote:

The thing I cannot figure out is why it takes several days for the leak to start?

Because cars had "Gremlins" LONG before AMC did.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 6:16am
Dickie,

1974 had a unique Speedometer Adapter, made from black plastic.  NOS just don't exist...it seems like once they have been "disturbed", they seep/leak forever.  They have an o-ring on the outside and another on the inside of the plastic adapter to seal from the cable housing to the adapter.  I have seen this internal seal missing and or the wrong one.  The plastic adapter takes a set over the last 40 years and the o-ring can only do so much. 

Here is the best two solutions:

1. Remove the adapter, get new o-rings, clean the transmission case interface, plastic adapter completely oil free.  Put new small o-ring on speedocable with the smallest amont of trans fluid.  Install new large o-ring and then Apply a coating of Permatex Ultra Silicone on the plastic adapter and o-ring.  Don't forgett to put th speedometer drive gear in there!!!!  Put it together quickly before the silicone sets up, and bolt the retainer in the right tooth count location.  Let it set for 24 hours....the most important thing is how clean it is!  I am personally not a fan of silicone, but this has been the only sucessful way I have found to fix this unique 1974 install. 

2. Change the adapter to a 1972-1973 style, aluminum/die cast adapter.....they don't have leak issues, however you must change the speedometer cable and drive gear.  They are different between 1972/4 and 1974.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 6:28am
I have had an oil leak on the 727 trans on the Jav for a few years now, just one or two spots, but in the last year it has got progressively worse. I have had sheets of cardboard under the car to act as sponges, and after a few weeks they were sodden. So much leaked out the car would not drive properly due to lack of fluid. I was guessing at the dipstick tube, as there is an “O” ring on the tube which seals it in the body. Next guess was a leaking pan gasket.
So, get the car up high enough to see properly and there’s oil all over the pan, and the edges of the gasket are soaked all the way round. Checking the dipstick entry it’s all dry, so that shows the “O” ring on the dipstick tube is OK. I slowly dropped the pan to allow what was left of the fluid to drain out. Check out the filter while we’re there, and it’s all good.
Clean everything up, check the pan for warped sides and flat flanges, all OK. New gasket, bolt up and refill. Job done.
Check two hours later, it’s leaking ! What the ! It appears to be at the rear of the pan. Wipe down carefully and watch. It’s not the pan at all, but coming out higher up from the body. A very close check revealed that it was leaking from a pin which is pushed through the body. Looking in the parts book, the pin, which is about 3/8” diameter, holds the reverse band lever in place.
Now in their wisdom, to prevent that pin falling out backwards, the rear extension housing has been cast with a little tang (or ‘finger’) in it that covers the pin. The manual doesn’t give any clues on how to replace the O-ring; it just presumes you’ll change it when the trans is out for a full rebuild. The question is: can that pin be pushed out far enough to get to the O-ring groove without something falling off inside ?
There appears to be no pressure around the pin, it’s only gravity flow allowing the leak. So, off with the pan again and drain the fluid. If I couldn’t change the O-ring then my fall back position would be to find some oil resistant epoxy and smother the pin on the outside, and hope it held the fluid in.
Once the pan was off, I took off the filter, held on with three screws. With that off, I could see up inside above the valve body to the other end of the pin, and it looked like the pin was long enough to be able to push it out slightly without it falling out. There is also no pressure on the reverse band which was a relief too.
I got half a hacksaw blade and cut off the tang on the housing so the pin would be able to be pushed out partially. This was not easy, due to the cramped position. (I would make up a clamp later, to replicate the tang).
Then, pushing from the inside out, I carefully exposed enough pin to see the O-ring. You can get a long screwdriver and push it through above the valve body; there’s just enough room. Once exposed, and using an O-ring pick, I was able to get the O-ring off. It was flattened out and had gone hard. I have an odd selection of O-rings and luckily managed to find one that matched. It was a BS-014. It went on easily and with a bit of O-ring grease tapped it back into the housing. It was a tight fit and needed a bit of a tap with a hammer. This confirmed it was a tight seal.
To replicate the tang to stop the pin falling out. I got a short piece of flat bar, bent it 90° and drilled a hole for the bolt holding the rear extension housing.
Why does it leak after a few days ? Because the torque converter drains back slowly, and raises the level of fluid in the trans body.

Edited by 74gremx - Sep/07/2014 at 6:43am
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 10:42am
Hey Dickie -- what ended up being the cause of the leak on your trans? 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic