TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Another AMC 20 Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 3:05pm
Yeah I am just not familiar with what will work on a Javelin vs Jeep, especially when you shop those sites and they usually only list jeep compatibility.

I am pretty sure I am going to go with the twin grip from APD, but pretty flexible on all the other parts especially if it will save me some $$$

I will take a look at National though
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 3:06pm
You should still check the axle housing for straightess,
you can do this by sighting through the empty housing.

There are lots and lots of pages on this on line,
search something like
"how can I tell if my axle housing is bent"

or
"how to straighten a bent axle housing"

I found a bunch of good ones last time I went through my (slightly bent) M20

Also,
if you think one of the axle shafts is bent (seems like you weren't sure in the original post),
you should know that before you decide to keep them or upgrade to something else.

Good luck
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by ADAM12MATADOR ADAM12MATADOR wrote:

I happen to have a new pair of Eaton rear springs the i got for my 73 Gremmy. Went with a 4 link so i wont b using them. Let me know if your interested.

Do you know which Eaton part number they are? Will they fit a 74 Javelin?

Thanks!
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 3:09pm
Honestly I if the axles seem hosed I will just go with one piece axles, not that I will need them for my 304 but a 401 is in the future LOL. Is there a one piece axle kit that comes with all the required bearings and seals?

Thanks

Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

You should still check the axle housing for straightess,
you can do this by sighting through the empty housing.

There are lots and lots of pages on this on line,
search something like
"how can I tell if my axle housing is bent"

or
"how to straighten a bent axle housing"

I found a bunch of good ones last time I went through my (slightly bent) M20

Also,
if you think one of the axle shafts is bent (seems like you weren't sure in the original post),
you should know that before you decide to keep them or upgrade to something else.

Good luck
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 4:46pm
I checked. They wont fit. Sorry.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 8:03am
I'm concerned about the housing as well. If you're in GA there should be a nice AMC group called Peach State AMO that's bound to have someone with a spare rear housing to sell.

I don't know what's been the common route over the years but when welding a cast iron center section to carbon steel tubes typically its done with nickel rod via tig or stick. There's a high $$ high silicon mig wire that works evidently but I'd expect anyone using that wire would leave nicer welds.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 9:00am
I wish I knew more about what I was doing with rear ends LOL

Here is a pic of the weld on the drivers side which looks old and normal

Drivers Side

Here is the passenger which after de-greasing showed a shiny weld that looks fresher

Passenger Side

And lastly, on the drivers side the area where the bearings are seemed too clean and looked bluish like maybe it had been heated up pretty bad? The other side is rusty and has no shine or bluish color to it. Is this what it might look like if the bearing was bad and had been seizing up?

Thanks for any advice, this forum is awesome for answers

Drivers side bearing area
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 10:18am
That's a plug weld that it does look like someone may have (poorly) re-burned it,
the factory was less than perfect with them so in my opinion it's not a bad idea to give them the once over.
Suprised they didn't do both sides though.

Even a weld like that can warp the thin factory tubes,
almost any physical abuse, or heat from welding can effect M20 tubes so when you pull the shafts out,
you should give the housing a quick going over for straightess.

The correct way to do it is with a bar,
but you can tell pretty well by just sighting down the housing from one end to the other.

If you do an internet search you'll find pages with pics of what to look for and how to tell if it's straight by eye or not.

These are pretty good rear ends,
it's a shame AMC penny pinched them with thin tubes (and 2 piece shafts and only 8 carrier bolts LOL ).

Why spec a nice beefy 8.875" ring gear & 1.625" pinion,
then save money with wet noodle tubes and less ring gear bolts than anyone else? Confused

Still great for their intended purpose, just strange they overbuilt in some places and underbuilt others.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 10:21am
I will check the tubes once I get everything apart. Still concerned about the overheated look around the one bearing area though. Thanks!
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 10:31am
The overheated look is from the forming process of the tube when new
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic