TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

anodizing Spirit Bumpers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anodizing Spirit Bumpers
    Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 12:12pm
Hi, am in the middle of a 79 Spirit refinishing. The bumpers are anodized aluminum, faded and dull. Anybody have a ball park idea of what it should cost to have them re anodized?
thank you, gz
george z
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 2:32pm
Actually I think they were iridited not anodized.  But a good comprehensive plating shop that does anodizing should be able to give you an estimate if you can describe their condition to the estimator.  Joe 
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 7:42pm
So not to get overly technical here.....BUT they are not Iridited, Iridite and Alodine (now called Bonderite) are tradenames for a Chemical Conversion Coating Process.  If you want to look at the details these processes are all controlled by Military Specification MIL-DTL-5541 (formally MIL-C-5541).  These are 2 types and 2 classes of coatings.....these are used as a finish coating in some Aluminum Parts and as a Pre-Treatment in other Aluminum parts to give excellent bonding characteristics for Primer.  These coatings usually yield a Goldish Iridescent finish, which can vary greatly in intensity depending on the immersion time and brand of the chemicals.  Sorry, deal with this process everyday.

Your Spirit Bumpers are plated using a process called "Clear Brite Dip Anodizing", it is a decorative process that allows Aluminum to simulate Chrome, it was highly used in ornamental finish in the 60's for furnature and exterior building articles.  It can be in colors, which is what is used on Mag Lite Flashlights in various colors too. AMC used this finish on the 69 AMX/Javelin Big Bad Front Bumper Moldings and also the 68-70 AMX Rocker Panels.  The plater I use for 68/9 AMX Rocker Panels, that I reproduce is very picky and will not do re-plates.  They will only do new parts and large quantities of 100 pieces or more.  They have had major bath contamination issues with used parts and poor quality....any small imperfection is highly magnified during this process.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 8:54pm
Thanks Ross.  I learned something.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Thanks Ross.  I learned something.  Joe

ME TOO!
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 11:36pm
hi, thank you for your replies gentlemen. Now, the question still remains, is it possible to redo Spirit, and/or basically all 79+ late AMC bumpers? Or are we stuck with what we have? Is it possible to paint them, if original finish is absolutely impossible to redo?
thank you, gz
george z
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 5:31am
George, 

Jeep also used the Clear Brite Dip Anodize Process, to bumpers on my 88 Grand Wagoneer had same issues.  I would suggest checking out the International Full Size Jeep Forum....there are alot of those being restored to a high level and maybe someone has a good re-anodizing vendor.  Those guys are cut from the same thread as most here and are very helpful.  Just as an FYI, the parts need to be stripped of the original anodizing, then the surface finish and any defects ....like stone chips, nicks, scraps, and a "universal" finish look and texture must be super even.  The problem with these aluminum parts is that you can't repair the surface like you do during a chrome plating of steel, where you can copper plate and fill in the pits and defects.  If you try and repair any defects they will show up like repairs.....remember the finish is clear.  Those bumpers have a grain from left to right that should be retained if you are going to go through all the trouble......so what you can do once the parts are bare and blending is done is use a Maroon Scotch Brite Surface Conditioning Pad, stroke the pad by hand in only that original graining direction.....even the smallest marks with no depth should be blended and then wrap in Kraft paper before returning to a anodizer.

I hope this helps....
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 6:59am
I am out of any area of expertise here,
but would it be possible to replicate the finish in powdercoat?

Not for any kind of exact restoration,
but for something better than driver quality that just wants the bumper to look finished again?

One more question,
were wheels also given this Clear Bright Dip Anodize Process?
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic