TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMXdreamers 1970 AMX Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMXdreamers 1970 AMX Restoration
    Posted: Sep/25/2009 at 2:40pm
 thought I would post some pictures of the 1970 AMX I have been restoring now for the past 2 years. I'm sure a lot of you have seen it on Frans AMC forum but I thought I would post it here for those that haven't.

I purchased the car about 7 years ago and it had been sitting for about 15 or 16 years at that time. After spending a few years preparing for the job, researching and gathering some parts and much needed dollars the project started about 2 years ago. I want everyone to know this is the first car I have ever done so I have been on a big learning curve!

I have also noticed after looking through some other threads here that my color choices were off on a few parts :( Some will be getting changed still and others will have to wait till next time!

Anyways...on to the pictures!

As purchased...

Teardown...

Ahhhhhhh the dreaded backwards rad hose....lol

Stripped...

Bodyshop...

Assembly...

glass in

Detailed exhaust brackets

Engine building 101 with the previous owner Glenn (Tachedout)...forever in your debt buddy!

Getting the Ford blue off the block :)

A weekend of work deburring the block and chasing threads.

Edited by amxdreamer - Nov/14/2017 at 9:54pm
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2009 at 2:44pm

After seeing some of the pictures by others here I am almost embarrassed to post mine!

Edited by amxdreamer - Nov/14/2017 at 10:01pm
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2009 at 3:06pm
HUH?? Why?
That's sweet! very nice.
BTW - you can come finish mine for me!
You did a nice job on that transmission..... looks sharp.
Nothing to be ashamed of in those photos unless you are really hiding something.
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2009 at 5:54pm
Looks great! My son is restifying a Glen green 70 AMX and i'm also restifying a 70 AMX so your pictures will come in real handy.
Cape Cod, MA.
1970 AMX frost white/shadow mask
crossramrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossramrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2009 at 5:56pm
Looks great ,did you keep track of how many hours you have in it............Jim.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2009 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by crossramrambler crossramrambler wrote:

Looks great ,did you keep track of how many hours you have in it............Jim.

LOL That's funny!

Too many...usually because I have to figure out what the heck I'm doing! LOL
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2009 at 8:28pm
Love seeing threads like this one...great car too, some reminders of the things I went through with mine and are about to go through all over again.   The transmission one is very nice!  Good job with that!   Post more.....we love this stuff! 
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2009 at 10:27pm
Thanks sidewinder, your car is really nice and have learned a lot from reading your threads!

The plastic repro I's IMO are crap and the chrome is practically coming off the plastic when they are new so my dad, a retired precision machinist, made me some for my tail lights out of stainless. They turned out really nice.

Edited by amxdreamer - Nov/14/2017 at 8:27pm
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2010 at 9:54pm

I FINALLY installed the rocker trims on my AMX. these have been a loooooooooooooong process. A previous owner had screwed one on and it had some road damage from over the past 40 years. I found one to replace the damaged one and had a couple of holes welded up. Some hammer and dolly work at the bodyshop and then lots of sanding and prep work by me and they were ready for refinishing. I came to the conclusion that I had 5 options which included anodizing like original (expensive), chroming (expensive and too shiney) painting them silver (not durable), powdercoating or ceramic coating them. After a test was done on my already damaged piece I decided to go with the ceramic coating. The color is really good, the texture is a little dimpled compared to original put the sheen is really nice. I ordered up the decal kit from AMARK (another great product!) The trims aren`t perfect but I can keep my eye open for a mint set later. The ceramic coating was reasonable at 70 bucks each and the guy was very fast. He wants pictures of the car for his website :) here is the link to his website if anyone else is interested.  http://www.rocketcermacoat.com/

Here are a couple of pictures;

I spent the afternoon working on all the wiring under the dash (ugh) and needed a couple of breaks so I took some updated pictures of the car.

Edited by amxdreamer - Nov/14/2017 at 10:02pm
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2010 at 10:08pm
Sure Looks like a  lot of Hours, I am glad I am not aloneSmile SH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
  Share Topic