TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Reproduction Glass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2012 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by fasttony fasttony wrote:

The rear glass does come up on ebay now and then tinted only $450 + Shipping. What brand are the repro side glass that don't fit? I bought NOS clear side glass all 4 pieces a few years ago for my 70' from an ebay seller that specializes in obsolete glass they look like they are made right. Another thing to check.

Tony
NOS isn't the problem.....just the aFTERMARKET sucks
they call me Capt RETIRED!
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2012 at 8:24pm
 Aftermarket brand? I believe OE is LOF, the replacements I purchased that were supposed to be NOS are PPG, should I be concerned?

Tony
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2012 at 8:35pm
Sounds fine to me.....sight along the bottom edge of the glass and if there's a gentle curve you're golden......if it's straight as an arrow they're repro JUNK.  
they call me Capt RETIRED!
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2012 at 10:42pm
I replaced the front glass in my '68 AMX with a local dealer's glass and it fit very well.

There's a company in Oregon who sells rear AMX glass. I did a quick search but was unable to find them. eBay used to carry his stuff, but apparently not at this time.

Can someone else help this guy?
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 7:17am
Front glass is good, but most of the front glass has a the darker shade at the top as compared to original. Many of the aftermarket side glass are of poor quality or already as stated here on the forum does not fit. I did purchase a door glass for my 70 Javelin about a year ago through a local glass vendor.  It worked out to be a good fit.
You might want to stop at a local glass vendor, someone who advertises for older car glass. They may have a supplier who produces quality aftermarket. I do not have the name of the glass manufacture, but if there is any issues with the glass from the vendor I use, I simply do not buy the glass. The local vendor I use is pretty honest & on a few cars that I have worked on he has informed me right up front if the glass is an issue or of poor quality.
There are times with broken glass, even poor quality glass as a temporary repair is better than no glass at all.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

Sounds fine to me.....sight along the bottom edge of the glass and if there's a gentle curve you're golden......if it's straight as an arrow they're repro JUNK.  

Reviving this old thread as next week I'm going to be visiting a glass vendor who has stock. From this previous post it sounds like it's the front to rear curvature that we need to be worried about rather than the top to bottom. Is that correct?

Will try to take an old side window with me so that I can compare them.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2018 at 2:53pm
The PPG(OEM) and LOF glass(ROEM) is fine....no one would have put up with crap glass back in the day.  I personally never bought the "recent" repop glass, but I had a customer bring me one to install....you could tell right away it was wrong.  My understanding is the poor fitting repop glass was made in Australia.  The Studebaker guys had same problem with the various pieces of curved glass imported too
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2018 at 6:01pm
I tried a repop glass and it was terrible. Pulled it out and returned it to the vendor for some turtleback seat backs that also wouldn't fit....lol
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2018 at 6:21pm
Smile I have (2) OEM used passenger side AMX door glass if someone needs correct fitting glass...
also a stack of used rear windows for both 68-70 and the later shorter 71+ glass...
and used 71-74 Javelin door glass

Edited by 69BBB3904spAMX - May/13/2018 at 10:06pm
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 11:53pm
I'm looking for a driver's side '69 AMX tinted door glass. The SoCal vendor I visited had the back glass, which I bought, but what they were calling AMX door glass was actually Javelin.

Anyone bought any repop AMX glass in the last year or so? Most of the reports of poor fitting glass seem to be 5 or more years old. Perhaps there are some good options now?

Edited by CamJam - May/22/2018 at 12:09am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic