TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX rear drum tight fit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX rear drum tight fit
    Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 9:29pm
I'm replacing most of the brake system on my 68 AMX with front disc brakes and drums in the rear. Today after installing new brake components on the rear passenger side I could barely get the existing brake drum over the new brake shoes without pounding on it with my fists. The drum took all my strength to turn. The brake shoes, parking brake cable, rubber brake hose with tee fitting, wheel cylinder, shoe hold down springs were replaced with new brand name parts...Raybestos, Bendix..

I adjusted the adjusting screw all the way in. I adjusted the parking brake cable at the equalizer 1/2" further in than where it was, large secondary shoe at the rear, secondary brake shoe and primary brake shoe contact the post at 12 o'clock. Should I not be doing one side at a time, and do both at the same time? Are the shoes too thick?

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Aug/26/2014 at 9:37pm
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 10:06pm
In the picture you posted the adjuster looks like it can still be adjusted shorter.

Also you did put a dab of antisieze on the backing plate tabs where the shoe contacts the backing plate? That will keep the shoes moving freely and keep the shoe from wearing grooves in the backing plate.

Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 10:28pm
After the first attempt to put the brake drum on, I adjusted the adjusting screw assembly all the way in, thinking it would make a difference. It did. But not enough of a difference. Thanks for the advice on putting anti-seize on the backing plate tabs where the shoe contacts the backing plate. I will do it tomorrow.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 12:24am
I just finished loading the brakes onto my recently restored rear diff and have the same problem.  I haven't spent any further time trying to get the drums on after the initial attempt, but I think it's pretty normal with new brake shoes.  Perhaps someone here knows the trick and will be able to enlighten us.  FYI, I did have anti-seize on my backing plate tabs. 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 7:41am
Terry....couple of things that may help.

1. Looking at your pics, looks like you are "re-using" the springs, just my opinion, spend the $10.00 and replace all, I have sen so many shoe wear issues and release issues from tired springs that "looked" fine. 

2. Your first pic shoes the parking brake lever in a forward position.  This can be from two things.  a) need to adjust the cable up at the equilizer.  I back it off until the nut is ready to fall off the front cable.  b) I see you have new cables installed.  I recently found that many "new" cables are made wrong and the cable housing length was dead on, but the inner was short, in one case by more then a inch.  So this caused the parking brake arm to act like the e-brake was on, it fought me for a good day.  It went together fine, but the brake drum was at new diameter and all new parts caused the drum to not even come close to fit.  Thinking in your case a smaller error in the inner cable still could make it off.  So I would compare the old to new parts on both sides.

3. Form the same pic, it looks like the adjuster is a bit dry, just make sure the threads are clean and well lubed, frozen or tight self adjusters cause alot of braking issues later.

Hope this helps.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 5:04pm
Ross, You nailed it! I backed the equalizer nut 3/4" and the drum slipped on easily. For some reason I tightened the nut 1" past where it was, before the brake job. I know this because there is a shiny spot where the adjusting nut and jam nut were. For some reason I thought the equalizer nut needed to be adjusted inward for the new brake shoes. I did the opposite adjustment of what should have been done. BTW, I did compare the old parking brake cables with the new replacements and they are the same length inside and outside. Thanks

Dennis, I took your advice and painted the contact tab on the backing plate with anti-seize. Thanks
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 5:26pm
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic