TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX/Javelin Brake Booster Bracket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkarl2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX/Javelin Brake Booster Bracket
    Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 9:58pm
I have a 68 Javelin SST that I am converting to power disc brakes from power drum brakes. I got the power disc booster and master cylinder but now I need the disc brake booster to firewall mounting bracket. Does anyone know where I can find one, is there one that fits other manufacturers that I can use?

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 7:45am
Put an ad in the 'Wanted' section.  I'm sure someone has one that they'd sell.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 10:08am
I converted power drums to power discs on the White70.

I had to place spacers between the booster and the bracket, roughly 1/2 inch thick.

I think that's what the factory did as well.

Experts? Add to this please ?

Am I correct?
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 10:18am
I recall something like that... didnt Kirkwood or 401MatCoupe have the spacers available?
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 12:08pm
It's more than just the booster spacers.  The linkage is different between the drum and disc boosters.  Disc top, drum bottom.  At least in '70.

Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 4:50pm
That's what I'm having trouble with right now is that linkage I think mine is seized where the brake pedal rod goes through the firewall and connect to the linkage absolutely no movement there. First post not sure how to put a picture up
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Dirtydog Dirtydog wrote:

That's what I'm having trouble with right now is that linkage I think mine is seized where the brake pedal rod goes through the firewall and connect to the linkage absolutely no movement there. First post not sure how to put a picture up

If your linkage is seized up, this may be a solution depending on what you have.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/master-cylinder-booster-pivot_topic86893_post775058.html?KW=#775058

Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 6:10pm
It's good to know I have options looks real close to what I have thanks for sending that I didn't destroy it yet
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 6:19pm
I bought the brake booster at AutoZone they had it shipped to me in 2 days pretty much an exact duplicate of what I had ran into the pivot pin problem when I took it apart the brake booster was $91. I had vacuum problems here it was the vacuum booster wooden pool above 4 in of vacuum. I thought it was the cam it still may be but I bought a little vacuum pump from Summit which puts out 16 in vacuum so brake should work well
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

It's more than just the booster spacers.  The linkage is different between the drum and disc boosters.  Disc top, drum bottom.  At least in '70.

I successfully converted the White70JavelinSST from drum to disc brake booster and brakes using only the parts from the drum brake bracket and linkage including the pushrod that came with the disc booster. It does put the pedal in a bit different spot., but its still a completely workable situation. I like the brake pedal closer to the same plane as the throttle, I can side foot the throttle and brake simultaneously for downshifting and braking together. The brake pedal does not bottom out on the floor of the car dead engine or engine live. Of course I cannot remember all the details as I did this over ten years ago. So that in itself says it works, I put about 1500 to 2000 miles a year on the car.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic