TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Gas Tank Filler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX Gas Tank Filler
    Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 1:39pm
Anyone have a good filler neck for a 70' AMX gas tank? I have a new tank and had planned to change it out over the winter when I had lots of time to clean and "defume" the old tank before putting the torch to it - but that didn't happen. I'd like to get one I can put on the new tank so the swap goes quicker.
I prefer one without the vent nipple and is also clean on the inside at least. I have a spare neck that has a nipple but it is also pretty rusty on the inside. What have others done to plug the vent nipple if its used on a car that doesn't have the emission system?
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 9:38pm
Got two, one with vent and one without. Both need a good cleaning and probably sealing.

-Steve-

Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 10:17am
Judging by the sheet metal on the bottom these must have been cut out of old tanks? FYI, I found that they come right out of the socket with a little heat from a propane torch.  What does the inside of the lower non vented neck look like? Is it rusted or clean?

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

Judging by the sheet metal on the bottom these must have been cut out of old tanks? FYI, I found that they come right out of the socket with a little heat from a propane torch.  What does the inside of the lower non vented neck look like? Is it rusted or clean?

More photos. If you're looking for concourse quality this isn't it.

-Steve-

Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 11:30am
Thanks for the additional photos Steve. Guess I'll need to find someone around here that can sand blast the inside of these things. I'll get back to you. What would you need to get for it?

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 11:48am
Drop that thing in Evaporust and leave it for 24 hours.  Wash it off and it will be like new.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Drop that thing in Evaporust and leave it for 24 hours.  Wash it off and it will be like new.  Joe

Don't blast it, you will remove the plating, follow Joe's advise here....a one gallon container of Evaporust is pure magic!!!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 5:19pm
PM sent.

-Steve-
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 8:09pm
That evaporust stuff really works eh?
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2018 at 5:55am
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

That evaporust stuff really works eh?

It is totally amazing on all the applications I have used it on, I bought a gallon at local Harbor Freight and tried it.....WOW!   You just use warm clean water to rinse, then I use compressed air to blow off the water....ready to move on to paint or clear to leave natural.  I was so impressed I have ordered 2 each 5 gallon pails from Amazon, on Prime, came USPS free ship.....I found on light rust a day will due, imersed, pulled out, look at it if not all gone, then put it back in for another day or longer.   It will not effect paint, rubber, etc.  I put a 727 Trans mainshaft in it that had a rusted output spline and it came out like NOS in a day.......I can not take credit for the tip, Ian Webb suggested I try it on some NOS flash rusted, shelved lower control arms and it was amazing.....they are now perfect.....have some big car rear axle arms in the bath right now.........it is not snake oil.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic