TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amx engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69AMX364 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 11:41am
The AMX used the 1 quart vertical unit Accusump, which gives about 10 seconds of oil pressure. The Accusump will work when almost nothing else would. A AMC engine does not need something like this UNTIL it gets sticky tires. Then it needs it right away. Had a manual oil pressure gauge with #3 line which reads instant changes. If good designed oil pans will fit then that is the route to go. My turbo Omni had the 3 quart Accusump mounted in the bumper along with a oil cooler for a 8.5 quart oil system for road racing. Before turning off the engine you would open the hood and rev up the engine till the gauge on the Accusump stopped moving then shut off the valve, allowing you to check the oil level like normal or keeping the oil under pressure till next long term startup. The oil accumulators worked best on Pontiac and Amc engines, because they had the least pan options and would die faster without oil when needed.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

Originally posted by 69AMX364 69AMX364 wrote:

The only swap that this section allows is too either a later AMC engine or sell the car. On my 69 AMX that was 390 oem it went to a later Jeep AMC 360 engine that I was going to rebuild. After checking taper and crankshaft I ended up just reringing and new bearings instead. A little loose at .0025 clearance, but still in specs.
A 69 390 lives at such a ragged edge that it takes all sorts of money to keep it running. Where a 360 is so much milder that it will almost never fail. I did keep my aftermarket rev-limiter for protection along with the Accusump.

Funny you mention the accusump.
I wonder why more people do not use them.

I thought most race built engines use them or similar device.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
dinosbar View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinosbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 12:11pm
I'm getting ready to install a chevy LS engine in. my 70 AMX. was there enough meat on the subframe to bolt the new mounts or did you need to weld on it?
tomjt3 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomjt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 1:20pm
Since i thought tbis would be a fun post yo hear about other people with an AMX, it turned out to be a bunch of sarcastic assholes.People can do whatever they want with their cars, if you like original, then keep it that way, if you dont, then change it..i have been into cars all ny life, and have several wprls od wheels winners and car show winnwrs. So what right.well i modified evety car i own including my AMX with 350 chevy engine and TURBO 350 transmission. All done by myself. I dont give 2 dungs what its worth i keep my cars not a dealer..For the record i bought the AMX from original owner with 33,000 miles on it .it is in mint condition and is fun to drive just like my 65 and 69 MUSTANG..72 avanti with chevy engine..70 cuda and 70 challenger..so i dont need to post anything else on this site and waste my time with idiots..you want pictures, get on facebook. My wall has tons of pictures..as for this site i wont be easting my time on this again....enjoy your egos
tomjt3 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomjt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 1:24pm
Hi there should be enough meat on subframes. I bolted my mounts. And also welded them, but i think bolted would have been ok..good luck..
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 2:16pm
Why are people busting this gentleman's balls about wanting to engine swap his AMX? I didn't see you complaining when people wanted to engine swap their American, Classic, Ambassador, Rebel, Matador, Hornet, Gremlin, Pacer, Concord, Spirit, Statesman, Super, Metropolitan....literally anything that wasn't an AMC "muscle car". 

Nobody cares if somebody wants to engine swap their non-muscle car AMC, but heaven forbid if somebody wants to engine swap an AMX, Javelin, or S/C Rambler! Everybody loses their heads!

Hypocritical, petty, and shallow. And you know it. 

I wonder how many people would still be here and consider themselves "AMC fans" if AMC never made a "muscle car" or any engine larger than 350 cubic inches. I don't think there would be very many. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 2:36pm
Well, when some older cars have the smaller six and need better performance, it is a nice option. Even though it is not original. It's a numbers thing. Now these days your not going to find many 390 and 401 engines as you once were able to. Sure they exist but cost effectiveness may keep an amc block from being used. Let alone how many want to deal with a rebuilder being done wrong.

My complaint is rarer cars are less plentiful stock with build matching parts. If I were able to have an AMX I would not look at the horses mouth and be so picky as to what it has or not. Just be thankful I have it and is probably more unique than many out there just because it may have a 290 or very few options,

My reasoning is... you can make a fun car out of an already modded AMX, but to swap out with a off brand drive train with little care with how proper it is and to return It back to original is harder to accept now more than ever.

Though I am with most here... do what you want, just do a better job than most have in the past, and have been seen on ebay and other events posted on the internet. It's the eye sore ones that make it a hard pill to swallow for me. Not the fact of non AMC or going bigger and better with an AMC engine.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
texasamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote texasamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 8:56pm
 I HAVE TO AGREE WITH CCOX... I'VE PUT A CHEVY SB IN AN AMX.. BIG MISSTAKE.. WENT BACK TO 390. 
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 12:17am
First of all, TomJT3, you can do whatever you want with your car. Second of all, you asked for advice and you got it. The people here have very good reasons for NOT doing what you wanted, and they told you so. You just don't like it. No one was insulting, you just did not like to hear them advise you against your plan. I have two suggestions:

A) Grow a thicker skin
B) Don't post a question about putting in a non amc V8 on a message board that specifically is for amc V8's.

As for your swap, if a Chev 350 is faster than your old 390, something was wrong with it. That is not meant to be insulting, but actual fact. They generally race in different classes for a reason. HP does not care about brand labels. The AMC 390 has more cubes, as good or better breathing and a stronger bottom end. Sounds like a recipe for better power to me. If you don't believe me, take a look at the specifications.

There is a message board here for those that like doing engine swaps elsewhere on the AMC forum, ie Frankenrambler. You will get a much better reception and more knowledgeable answers than here on a MB specifically for fixing AMC V8's. Most here don't mess with SBC Chevys and definitely don't put them in their AMC's, so they don't have any advice for you. You are wasting your time on this MB, it does not cater to what you want to do.

Whether or not I agree with you, Good Luck!

Chris
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 6:11am
Aint no replacement for displacement.

But 350s are cheeeeeeeeeeeeep and plentiful.

I bet you can purchase a few tons of 350 Chevys
for the cost of one re-built 390.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic